I don't think the Board Understands

AUght2win

22 hours ago, AUght2win said:

What we just witnessed. At least from the posts I have seen. That was one of the gutsiest wins in Auburn history. 

A true freshman just brought us from 15 down on national TV in Jerryworld against the #11 team in the country. You don't just DO that. You don't just take the team down the field for the game winning strike after having a ROUGH debut. The kid brought us back from the dead. 

We witnessed the birth of the next Auburn great tonight in Dallas.

I saw twenty two young men on the field following a plan developed by their coaches. A team win.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Took the words out of my mouth for almost everything. Great great gutsy win but we will lose 5 games if we play that inconsistent going forward. Nix rallied us at the end, but Boobie Whitlow imo was offensive mvp. The guy is clearly our best back with his ability to lower the shoulder or make something out of nothing. O line was terrible until we wore Oregon down, then we starting dominating. We wont wear down the likes of Uga, Bama, Lsu, etc so Gus has to has to HAS TO find a way to diversify our passing game and give Nix easier throws. We still barely use the middle of the field when passing and I don't recall us throwing to the tight end. Where was Jay Jay Wilson. All I read about was how he was going to give us this new dynamic element in the passing game. 

He is not going to do so. Going on 7 years of him showing us it is either a bomb or a screen 90% of the time. That is it. If he is not with a true freshmen qb in the first game of the year against the 11th ranked team in the country going to give the kid some easy passes to get him in a groove he will never change. I mean we already knew that but this was another example of him just refusing to adapt and adjust. He is the most stubborn coach I have ever seen. 

13 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It was a great win but Nix has a long way to go.  41% completions for 177 yards and 2 INT.  

It ain't Nix. But I know you know this. He can be special. I will say even if Gus took advantage of the middle of the field (which is egregious btw that he does not and continues to ignore it) our OL is just flat out not good enough. There is no other way around it. People will say well yah they sucked in pass pro but they looked good in run blocking. EHHHH Yah about that. A lot of Whitlows yards were all on him where he made something happen when there was nothing there. 

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This thread proves my point.

I can just picture some of you cats after Punt, Bama, Punt. "We looked AWFUL for 58 minutes! We didn't even score offensively! It was a good win BUT. This team has a LOOOONG way to go."

Was not alive for Punt, Bama, Punt but I can already tell you that is how I would of been. Just how I am wired. I am a perfectionist. I constantly strive for Auburn to be great. It is not just that you won it is also HOW you won. But that is the beauty of sports. You got the Sunshine Pumpers, The realistic crowd and the nega Barners. A good healthy variety to keep things interesting and entertaining. Not every win is created equal. We all can see the problem. It is the OL and the lack of a sophisticated passing offense with the refusal for a intermediate passing game. It is mind boggling for a lot of us why we continue to ignore the middle of the field in the passing game going on 7 years.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It ain't Nix. But I know you know this. He can be special. I will say even if Gus took advantage of the middle of the field (which is egregious btw that he does not and continues to ignore it) our OL is just flat out not good enough. There is no other way around it. People will say well yah they sucked in pass pro but they looked good in run blocking. EHHHH Yah about that. A lot of Whitlows yards were all on him where he made something happen when there was nothing there. 

Nix played well as a freshman but he threw high to many receivers which would have been easier completions had he not done so, he missed guys breaking open in the middle but he lost sight of them at times.  he made the plays at the end when it counted but to say this was all on Gus shows your bias.  Did the coaches call a great game no.  Did the players execute well? Not the whole game but they did improve.  We got lucky last night but did misplay some things especially when we threw into tight coverage or behind a receiver for the INTs.  Did we have too many penalties?  Yes and some hurt to continue drives.  We have a ways to go but plenty of hope to work on.  Great Job by Gatewood to stretch it out over the line.  Was hoping we would see more of him last night but understand where we were in the game.

2 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Nix played well as a freshman but he threw high to many receivers which would have been easier completions had he not done so, he missed guys breaking open in the middle but he lost sight of them at times.  he made the plays at the end when it counted but to say this was all on Gus shows your bias.  Did the coaches call a great game no.  Did the players execute well? Not the whole game but they did improve.  We got lucky last night but did misplay some things especially when we threw into tight coverage or behind a receiver for the INTs.  Did we have too many penalties?  Yes and some hurt to continue drives.  We have a ways to go but plenty of hope to work on.  Great Job by Gatewood to stretch it out over the line.  Was hoping we would see more of him last night but understand where we were in the game.

Never ever have I tried to hide my Bias. It is basically a huge bright big shining light whenever I post in here in the football forum. I am foreign to the concept of being subtle! lol.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Never ever have I tried to hide my Bias. It is basically a huge bright big shining light whenever I post in here in the football forum. I am foreign to the concept of being subtle! lol.

Well at least you are honest about it and that I can appreciate.

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Was not alive for Punt, Bama, Punt but I can already tell you that is how I would of been. Just how I am wired. I am a perfectionist. I constantly strive for Auburn to be great. It is not just that you won it is also HOW you won. But that is the beauty of sports. You got the Sunshine Pumpers, The realistic crowd and the nega Barners. A good healthy variety to keep things interesting and entertaining. Not every win is created equal. We all can see the problem. It is the OL and the lack of a sophisticated passing offense with the refusal for a intermediate passing game. It is mind boggling for a lot of us why we continue to ignore the middle of the field going on 7 years.

As far ar as I'm concerned, we can frame this post, and close the board until Saturday night. This is a great team and a great win. Bo Nix will likely emerge as an all-time great. But nothing else has really changed here,  and the over-all results of this season are almost guaranteed to be the same as the last. I was personally hoping for two things:

1. A win. Credit given- this win was awesome. 

2. A reason to believe this season will be different. Hell no. We've seen this before. It's all the same. Insanity is what it is.

Ugly wins will only charge these arguments on the boards. The way for an embattled coach to cool this off is to look different.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Was not alive for Punt, Bama, Punt but I can already tell you that is how I would of been. Just how I am wired. I am a perfectionist. I constantly strive for Auburn to be great. It is not just that you won it is also HOW you won. But that is the beauty of sports. You got the Sunshine Pumpers, The realistic crowd and the nega Barners. A good healthy variety to keep things interesting and entertaining. Not every win is created equal. We all can see the problem. It is the OL and the lack of a sophisticated passing offense with the refusal for a intermediate passing game. It is mind boggling for a lot of us why we continue to ignore the middle of the field in the passing game going on 7 years.

No. It's just winning. That's all that matters. Examining "how" you win is just an effort to improve performance so you can win more in the future. But there are games like Punt Bama Punt and last night that are just about getting the job done. If you can't enjoy those, you need a new hobby. 

35 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

As far ar as I'm concerned, we can frame this post, and close the board until Saturday night. This is a great team and a great win. Bo Nix will likely emerge as an all-time great. But nothing else has really changed here,  and the over-all results of this season are almost guaranteed to be the same as the last. I was personally hoping for two things:

1. A win. Credit given- this win was awesome. 

2. A reason to believe this season will be different. Hell no. We've seen this before. It's all the same. Insanity is what it is.

Ugly wins will only charge these arguments on the boards. The way for an embattled coach to cool this off is to look different.

You're telling me after watching Bo lead that offense and have that moment last night that you believe this team will be like last year's? I don't. I don't like Gus. But we now have a QB that can win in spite of him. 

I was impressed with his leadership, overall decision making, toughness, arm strength, and demeanor.  I was not impressed with his accuracy at times...I’m curious to see how quickly that improves.

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I was impressed with his leadership, overall decision making, toughness, arm strength, and demeanor.  I was not impressed with his accuracy at times...I’m curious to see how quickly that improves.

That's fair......his passes had some air under them at times.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

If Bo had been a little more accurate we would have caught up with Oregon earlier and pulled away from them. That said 1st game for a true freshman who was being harrassed he did well. Biggest thing I saw that was a negative was he used his legs well to beat pressure but then he didn't set his feet to make good throws he rushed them even though he had created space and time to throw.  That is something he will get better at.

The Oregon defense was a very experienced Defense with a lot of returning starters which makes it very tough on a new QB. As Bo progresses this year so will the O. I do agree we need more middle of the field passes and we need to utilize the TE. I am hoping but not confidant that we will see some of that in the next two games.

Look at the ratings of the defensive players. That was a tough defense that had an infusion of young talent who got some serious PT.

Screen_Shot_2019_08_29_at_1.40.28_PM.png

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Great summation of why so many of us are still show me on this team and season. 

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

. But we now have a QB that can win in spite of him. 

its a little early to say this and im not sure you understand that  (like how i used your thread title it sounded as patronizing as you did?) .    Bo will be a good QB  we just saw flashes of it Saturday but he isnt there yet and he isnt immune from the injury bug

40 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If Bo had been a little more accurate we would have caught up with Oregon earlier and pulled away from them. That said 1st game for a true freshman who was being harrassed he did well. Biggest thing I saw that was a negative was he used his legs well to beat pressure but then he didn't set his feet to make good throws he rushed them even though he had created space and time to throw.  That is something he will get better at.

The Oregon defense was a very experienced Defense with a lot of returning starters which makes it very tough on a new QB. As Bo progresses this year so will the O. I do agree we need more middle of the field passes and we need to utilize the TE. I am hoping but not confidant that we will see some of that in the next two games.

Look at the ratings of the defensive players. That was a tough defense that had an infusion of young talent who got some serious PT.

Screen_Shot_2019_08_29_at_1.40.28_PM.png

No doubt a very solid #11 team that was not overrated with a veteran QB.........a solid victory for the Auburn Tigers👍

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You're telling me after watching Bo lead that offense and have that moment last night that you believe this team will be like last year's? I don't. I don't like Gus. But we now have a QB that can win in spite of him. 

Exactly like last years team. As long as we dedicate entire possessions to running Boobie into a stacked box just to prove a point and thereby yoke our QB with 3rd-and-long rescue attempts (Stidham? White? Nix?) the results will be the same. Lashlee? Lindsey? I don't think so. We've seen this for ten years now. And aside from 2013, and it's always the same. Pettway and KJ made it almost look possible from time to time, but it is not. I think our "offensive genius" literally doesn't even understand basic football. I really believe this. This board does a perfect job of hashing this out year in, year out. Only a small crowd of sunshiners resort to indicting the whole forum each fall. Those are the ones who don't understand. Everyone else who either defends Coach or has had enough, has their own valid reasons. It really is worthy of all the debate.

Bo Nix is incredible though.

I’m not going to single anyone out but some post are stupid. Of course Bo looked bad in the first half. Because he never should have been out in that circumstance. Raise your hand if you were the coach, how many of you would have called 20+ pass plays in the first half, while starting an 18 year old true freshman in his first college game, on tv in the biggest stadium in the country against a top 15 team with the speed Oregan has. If you raised your hand then I definitely know why your not coaching. Play calling the first half was beyond dumb. Gus even admits to it. Does Bo need to improve? Sure. So does every freshman in college sports otherwise he could have just gone on to the pros. Anyone being critical of Bo is just beyond stupid. 

I thought our first 3 series were good (not really the first one). Showed some flashes and used pace to our advantage. On the corner route to Hastings on the second drive, I think what killed us there was Hastings missing so much camp and not getting enough reps with Nix. Nix threw it to the corner pylon and Hastings was taking it the side of the endzone. That can be corrected though.

What I liked about Nix was his mobility and internal clock. Didnt see much hesitation and he was pretty deliberate with his passing. What I am worried about though can be coached. If you go back and watch his HUDL tape from Highschool, he likes to bounce out of the pocket and flush out to make his throws when pressured. I only worry about this because during the game, I feel like he flushed out due to habbit when stepping up would've helped him out. This could be over analyzing though as he did step up in the pocket several times in the game, including on the game winner. I am not that worried about his accuracy as I am learning to live with him being a gun slinger. I personally thing that we will need to keep him involved in the run game going forward as it really started softening up Oregon early on the inside runs. Overall I am happy we got the win and I am happy to see the Defense completely lock Oregon down and our playmakers on Offense rose to the occasion. Loved it. 

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Do you not think they improved significantly as the game wore on?

I thought they looked pretty darn good by the 4th quarter.

What am I missing?

19 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This thread proves my point.

I can just picture some of you cats after Punt, Bama, Punt. "We looked AWFUL for 58 minutes! We didn't even score offensively! It was a good win BUT. This team has a LOOOONG way to go."

You have to put this statement in context.  If it was the first game against a highly rated team, yeah I could see your comments.  However, this was the “amazins”; a team that just lost to graduation a Heisman Trophy winner and his main target.  We barely got past UT Chattanooga and upset UT 10-7. That season was a constant battle from starts to finish. Continually finding ways to win against over matched opponents (except LSU).

So, to correctly voice our collective thoughts it was more like; “We looked AWFUL for 58 minutes!!! We didn’t even score an offensive TD!!! It was a Great win, man we have come a LOOOOONG way”.  At least that’s how I remember it.

Whether it's Punt Bama Punt or the Kick 6 when it's against Bama I don't really care how we look all game long if we have the lead when the game ends. It's a matter of perspective to me to consider past years games. In '72 I was a kid and at that time a win was a win. Without much media coverage and zero internet you just didn't have all of the armchair QBs and living room coaches that you have now. Today everything is discussed and dissected ad nauseum and nothing is really ever going to be enough, save for the Auburn/ Georgia game 1 in '17 and for a Clemson fan, the beatdown they gave Bama in the NC. Games like that against very good teams are rare. We weren't perfect Saturday night but we're 1-0 so that's as perfect as the record can be right now. Good win even if it wasn't pretty. 

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You have to put this statement in context.  If it was the first game against a highly rated team, yeah I could see your comments.  However, this was the “amazins”; a team that just lost to graduation a Heisman Trophy winner and his main target.  We barely got past UT Chattanooga and upset UT 10-7. That season was a constant battle from starts to finish. Continually finding ways to win against over matched opponents (except LSU).

So, to correctly voice our collective thoughts it was more like; “We looked AWFUL for 58 minutes!!! We didn’t even score an offensive TD!!! It was a Great win, man we have come a LOOOOONG way”.  At least that’s how I remember it.

Well.....and not to mention the IB is the last game of the year.  Especially back then when Bowl Games were played after the final polls and were merely exhibitions meant to be rewards to the players.  Even our most negative nega-barners would be hard pressed to find a reason to hate beating bammer.

:partey:

Archived