Bo Nix Baker Mayfield Comparison video

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

That throw at about 2:07 ::chef kiss::

Wow. He just flipped that thing about 35yds on a dime falling backwards out of bounds. 😲

Based on our history, I will remain optimistic but it is a lot to compare Bo to anyone else. Both were very, very good HS players, but until the games starts in College we don't know how Bo will react. Cross my fingers he reacts like Baker did. 

Agree. While I can appreciate the similarities, I  would like to see Bo play a snap of college ball before comparing him to a heisman trophy winner. 

Like others I love this but HS and College are different. I think Bo can do it but I need to see it. As for comparing Bo's wheels to Stidham's no comparison Bo is much faster than Stidham. Watching this Bo is really a DT QB, I know some said Stidham was but the reality is he wasn't very fast but worse that that he wasn't very quick. Bo and Baker hit high speed quickly where Stidham is like an old Caddy it takes a while to get to top end.

When is @StatTigergoing to drop his Auburn v Oregon preview and predictions on us?  Or, do we have to give money to 247 for that?  'Cause that ain't happenin'.

The video just simply shows the obvious similarities between Mayfield and Nix's HS footage. Their style is very comparable. It's pretty normal that someone will be compared to someone that they are comparable to. Doesn't bother me at all. Would we rather he be compared to a terrible QB?

Throw out everything else in the video. The biggest complaint many fans have had is his speed/running ability. You can see his speed in this video or any others you watch. Nix ran a 4.60 40 at the Opening. Deshaun Watson ran a 4.86 at the same event his senior year. Cam came out of HS with a 4.59. Tua was clocked at UAT's spring workouts at 4.76. Mayfield ran a 4.81 out of HS. 

Nix can flat out run. His time out of HS would have ranked in the top 70 or so at the NFL combine this year among all positions. If they do not get scared to give him runs I think his speed will be a difference maker at some point this year. He doesn't have to have the number of carries Cam had. He just needs enough so the defense has to think about it every single snap. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Bo Nix Baker Mayfield Comparison video

Running is much more than a chart deciding I can do this.....throwing too actually. How you do with pads after getting blasted a few times that's what decides if youcan do a skill or not....doing it thru adversity, that's what we're going to find out

30 minutes ago, selias said:

The kid hasn't taken a college snap yet. Let's pump the brakes on the hype machine.

Brake lines have been cut.

56 minutes ago, selias said:

The kid hasn't taken a college snap yet. Let's pump the brakes on the hype machine.

That's silly. This video is a hype machine? It has no bearing on anything. 

1 hour ago, selias said:

5 star true freshman starting QB. You are kidding yourself if you don’t think media will hype or talk about him in this manner . 

1 hour ago, selias said:

It's messed up actually, hopefully he'll have a run gamebehind him though

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's messed up actually, hopefully he'll have a run gamebehind him though

Keys to the game in my opinion! Burn some clock and keep their qb on the sidelines!

For the record, I commented on the video and said that I was shocked Stat was hyping Nix like this. He replied that he wasn't hyping anything, that he had seen obvious similarities in their high school tape. So for the record Stat has stated it's nothing about hype. 

9 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Based on our history, I will remain optimistic but it is a lot to compare Bo to anyone else. Both were very, very good HS players, but until the games starts in College we don't know how Bo will react. Cross my fingers he reacts like Baker did. 

Thank you. This seems so logical... But you would be surprised just how few people think like this when it comes to Nix. 

the thing that strikes me about Bo and i believe is pretty important is thhat if he makes a mistake i believe he will bounce back quick and also that he will honestly learn from it. i certainly do not expect us to go undefeated but i believe at the same time we have the tolls to do so. how many games was it dye said you were no longer a freshman? if i was gus i would have a ton of blitz packages ready because you know teams are going to want to introduce themselves to him. but with him being coached up i believe he is more game ready than normal freshmen. and if bo gets hurt for a couple of plays or a couple of games i believe we would be fine with joey.And if our d moves from pretty good to great we should have a great season. gus says this is his best teams ever and i am holding him to it.

51 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the thing that strikes me about Bo and i believe is pretty important is thhat if he makes a mistake i believe he will bounce back quick and also that he will honestly learn from it. i certainly do not expect us to go undefeated but i believe at the same time we have the tolls to do so. how many games was it dye said you were no longer a freshman? if i was gus i would have a ton of blitz packages ready because you know teams are going to want to introduce themselves to him. but with him being coached up i believe he is more game ready than normal freshmen. and if bo gets hurt for a couple of plays or a couple of games i believe we would be fine with joey.And if our d moves from pretty good to great we should have a great season. gus says this is his best teams ever and i am holding him to it.

I feel the same way about his ability to bounce back. I have no doubts he will make mistakes but the difference is I do not think he will fold because of them. The SEC is a huge step from 6A HS football but he has something most QB's do not have. His coach/dad was a college QB/HC/OC. His dad knows what pressure SEC QB's face and what a DI QB needs to be able to do. Nix ran some of AU's offense at Pinson so there is some familiarity with the execution. Pat was also a very good QB and during his time at AU he learned from some very good coaches. His QB coach here was Jimbo Fisher if anyone has forgotten and for all their shortcomings Terry and Tommy Bowden did know a little about offensive football. 

If he has an amazing breakout season I will be thrilled but I am not putting expectations that high. To me with the guys around him he doesn't have to be 1st Team All SEC for AU to win games. Nix just needs to manage games and make plays when he sees an opportunity. As he gets more comfortable I believe his talent and coaching will allow him to make more and more plays which will help on the back half of the schedule. All that I can do personally is pull like hell for the team so my expectations really don't matter. He just has to meet his own and CGM's.

Considering Bo's OL's ceiling maxes out at "good", over/under Jake Bentley's type of freshman campaign?

Archived