Gus took 'refreshing' look at his past offenses

aubiefifty

Auburn's Malzahn took 'refreshing' look at his past offenses

JOHN ZENOR (AP Sports Writer),The Associated Press 21 hours ago

FILE - In this Oct. 6, 2018, file photo, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn watches players warm up before an NCAA college football game against Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss. The Tigers have been one of the most difficult teams in the country to predict in recent years. Fittingly, the same can be said of Malzahns long-term job security. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File)

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Gus Malzahn took a deep dive into his past during the offseason.

The Auburn coach watched film of his early offenses at Tulsa, two of which led the nation in total yards, and some of his most prolific teams with the Tigers. It was an encouraging refresher course.

''It's been really good for me,'' Malzahn said. ''Sometimes you've just got to go back to your roots.''

Malzahn has reclaimed his role as No. 16 Auburn's offensive playcaller after handing over the reins to then-offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey the past two seasons. Watching the Tulsa offenses from 2007 and 2008 and Auburn teams like those from 2010, 2013 and 2014 was ''really refreshing.''

Malzahn's roots are planted deeply in that hurry-up-no-huddle style offense he cultivated from his days coaching high school in Arkansas. He's hoping to rediscover that success going into a season that starts Saturday against No. 11 Oregon in Arlington, Texas.

The switch puts him more firmly in control of not only the offense, but his own future. Last season's team fell to 8-5 with an offense that ranked just 78th nationally in total yards per game, sparking questions about his job security despite a seven-year, $49 million contract with a mammoth buyout.

Even with a freshman quarterback, Bo Nix , and a brutal schedule, that makes this a potentially pivotal season for Malzahn. His initial return to calling plays was undeniably a success, a 63-14 Music City Bowl win over Purdue.

Malzahn opted to return to that role when Lindsey left for Kansas - before ultimately becoming Troy's head coach.

''I could see it coming. He's got an itch for it, he's got a knack for it,'' said Kodi Burns, Auburn's co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach. ''And it's hard, when you're passionate about something, to kind of sit back and allow other people to do it. There's always going to be a little bit of he wants to do certain things.

''At the core of it, he's back calling plays and now he's in his comfort zone. He doesn't have to second-guess the play caller or think about, was that the right call? He's making the calls.''

Burns was a quarterback-turned-receiver during Malzahn's tenure as Auburn's offensive coordinator. He once threw a touchdown pass to quarterback Cam Newton during the 2010 national championship season when Malzahn dipped into his bag of tricks.

The Tigers coach opted to give up play calling duties after the 2016 season, trying to adopt a more CEO-like approach to leading the program. Auburn did knock off two No. 1 teams - rivals Georgia and Alabama - the following season before the drop-off in 2018.

''When you've done something all your life, or all your professional career, that's your comfort zone,'' Malzahn said. ''And then you stop doing it, that was a little weird. It was a little bit different but you just try to do the best you can with that. But this is what I love to do. It comes natural and it's a passion for me.''

Malzahn hired 28-year-old Memphis offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to replace Lindsey, but he'll be the primary play caller. Dillingham says he has followed Malzahn's offenses going back to the Auburn coach's time at Arkansas, 13 years ago.

''He's one of the most successful offensive coaches in this era,'' Dillingham said. ''When you think of offensive innovation, you think of Gus Malzahn. And anybody who tells you differently is living in a box.''

But Malzahn admits that the novelty of his offense faded in the seasons after he came to Auburn as coordinator in 2009. Other teams started turning up the offensive pace, too, and defenses began to adapt. That made it harder to flourish without some adapting of his own.

''In 2009, I don't know if anybody else was playing fast in our league,'' Malzahn said. ''It was a big advantage. And of course the officials had to get used to it and all that. Then slowly as you kind of had success, whether it's us doing it or somebody else, more people were going to do it. And now everybody in our league has some type of no-huddle pace so is that as big an advantage as it once was? No it's not.

''I probably got a little stubborn there sometime around 2015 or'16. You've got to evolve and stay cutting edge, because nowadays other teams are doing really, really similar things, even the teams that used to complain about pace. Now, it's a different day.''

---

''I probably got a little stubborn there sometime around 2015 or'16. You've got to evolve and stay cutting edge, because nowadays other teams are doing really, really similar things, even the teams that used to complain about pace. Now, it's a different day.''

I love this last statement.  It not only shows Gus admitting his offense became stale due to him being stubborn, but also that he needs to evolve and change it up. 

Oh and that last little dig at Saban about complaining about pace was great too.

Thanks for posting, fifty.

I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it. I'm glad he's admitting that he got stubborn in 2015 and 2016 but nothing he says to the media means anything at all. I hope Gus gets his swagger back because his job likely will depend on it, especially with a true freshman QB back there behind an OL that leaves a lot to be desired.

9 minutes ago, McFU said:

I love this last statement.  It not only shows Gus admitting his offense became stale due to him being stubborn, but also that he needs to evolve and change it up. 

Oh and that last little dig at Saban about complaining about pace was great too.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it. I'm glad he's admitting that he got stubborn in 2015 and 2016 but nothing he says to the media means anything at all. I hope Gus gets his swagger back because his job likely will depend on it, especially with a true freshman QB back there behind an OL that leaves a lot to be desired.

Make me the 3rd.... This is a very promising development but I'll reserve judgement until after 11/30/19.

There's nothing more I'd like to see than for Gus to get back his 09-10 playcalling mojo. Those teams were massively productive and fun as hell to watch. With....far less talent than the teams we've been fielding. I just hope he's really committed to the self reflection he's stated he's aware of. Wde 

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yep, I'm a doubting Thomas and I've got to see it with my own eyes before I'll believe it.  The man has made promises and assurances for years now, multiple times he's told us he'd "get this thing turned around" when HE was the one that got it twisted in the first place. 

Gus has always had the capability of looking back on past seasons and pin point the deficiencies in his scheme, and yet we've seen little evolution or change.   I blame some of this on our GA's, Coordinators, position coaches because they have the time to scrub over old games and they should've helped Gus open his eyes way before now. 

Why does CGM lolly-gag around until his arse is burnt toast before he decides to DO something and change?  Why did it have to get so bad that he was nearly fired before he decided to step up an call the plays and prep the game?  Didn't he "go back to his roots" a couple of yrs ago and was more involved on the offense?  SMH - he's a flip flopper of the first order.

30 minutes ago, McFU said:

It's called evolution, elite coaches know when the game changes they have to change and adapt their scheme if they want to stay on top.  Saban complained and asked if this pace was what folks wanted college football to become?  He changed his offense and defense as the game evolved and he has consistently done this while practically blowing through the strongest conference in the country for over a decade.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

It's called evolution, elite coaches know when the game changes they have to change and adapt their scheme if they want to stay on top.  Saban complained and asked if this pace was what folks wanted college football to become?  He changed his offense and defense as the game evolved and he has consistently done this while practically blowing through the strongest conference in the country for over a decade.

At the time it was not evolution it was complaining for the "health" of the players.  It wasn't until Lane Kiffin was their OC that things started to "evolve" for them.  I'll admit that Saban evolved faster than Gus has to this latest iteration of the College Football game but let's not kid ourselves that he wasn't trying to hold on to his bread and butter of a solid run game and a game manager QB for as long as he could.

53 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yep, I'm a doubting Thomas and I've got to see it with my own eyes before I'll believe it.  The man has made promises and assurances for years now, multiple times he's told us he'd "get this thing turned around" when HE was the one that got it twisted in the first place. 

Ever since the 2015 season when Carl Lawson was day to day for four weeks straight, I decided to see what Gus does on Saturdays, not what he says he’s going to do on Saturdays.

As you stated; seeing it with your own eyes will help believe the man may keep his promises. The hype season is coming to an end,  time to step up and show us what you’ve got.

A little bit stubborn is the understatement of the decade.

Until I see otherwise, I'm going to assume our scripted drives will be great early in the game against quality teams.  After that, offensive productivity will dry up, and we as fans will die a slow death watching the defense try to hold the lead.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

There's nothing more I'd like to see than for Gus to get back his 09-10 playcalling mojo. Those teams were massively productive and fun as hell to watch. With....far less talent than the teams we've been fielding. I just hope he's really committed to the self reflection he's stated he's aware of. Wde 

No, going back to his 09-10 years playing calling is what he SHOULD NOT DO! Why? He even said it.

Other teams started to use his type plays, and the upper level teams started to learn how to defend it by 2014 and he said he was stubborn in 2015 and 2016 by not adapting and working to counteract the defenses and rules changes that limited his offensive scheme's effectiveness.

What he has to show is how has he has redesigned his playcalling and improved on his plays that worked in 2009-2011 and some in 2013. If he reverts back to 2009 I feel our offense will sputter and have problems sustaining drives and scoring in the RZ...

1 hour ago, McFU said:

At the time it was not evolution it was complaining for the "health" of the players.  It wasn't until Lane Kiffin was their OC that things started to "evolve" for them.  I'll admit that Saban evolved faster than Gus has to this latest iteration of the College Football game but let's not kid ourselves that he wasn't trying to hold on to his bread and butter of a solid run game and a game manager QB for as long as he could.

He'd already won 3 NC's at uat by the time he hired Kiffin, so I agree that he probably wanted to retain what had gotten them those trophy's.

But he had to sit back and watch Auburn go to the NC game in '13 and then he brought in Kiffin (2014) who revamped that offense with a couple of not so good QBs (Coker & Sims) and since them his team has made the CFP every year and practically blown through his conference since then.

Just now, keesler said:

He'd already won 3 NC's at uat by the time he hired Kiffin, so I agree that he probably wanted to retain what had gotten them those trophy's.

But he had to sit back and watch Auburn go to the NC game in '13 and then he brought in Kiffin (2014) who revamped that offense with a couple of not so good QBs (Coker & Sims) and since them his team has made the CFP every year and practically blown through his conference since then.

Yep, there is no denying that UAT is on an incredible run which has continued due to their evolving with the game and this makes it tough for Auburn to be highly successful year in and year out.  I will say that in 2017 I didn't think UAT deserved to make the CFP since they neither won the SEC West division nor the SEC.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I probably got a little stubborn there sometime around 2015 or'16. You've got to evolve and stay cutting edge, because nowadays other teams are doing really, really similar things, even the teams that used to complain about pace. Now, it's a different day.''

---

Glad he said this 

2 minutes ago, McFU said:

Yep, there is no denying that UAT is on an incredible run which has continued due to their evolving with the game and this makes it tough for Auburn to be highly successful year in and year out.  I will say that in 2017 I didn't think UAT deserved to make the CFP since they neither won the SEC West division nor the SEC.

If the only team Auburn had lost to the last 5 yrs was UAT, then we'd be sitting pretty and consistently atop the polls and in the CFP discussion every single year.

But UAT plays no part in idiotic losses to MSU, Tennessee :banghead:, piss poor losses to LSU back to back to Ed Orgeron or losing to mediocre UGA teams in his tenure.  

I agree UAT didn't deserve to be in the CFP in '11 or '17 but in the end when you beat the SEC Champ to win an NC, you prove who the best team is.  

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

If the only team Auburn had lost to the last 5 yrs was UAT, then we'd be sitting pretty and consistently atop the polls and in the CFP discussion every single year.

But UAT plays no part in idiotic losses to MSU, Tennessee :banghead:, piss poor losses to LSU back to back to Ed Orgeron or losing to mediocre UGA teams in his tenure.  

I agree UAT didn't deserve to be in the CFP in '11 or '17 but in the end when you beat the SEC Champ to win an NC, you prove who the best team is.  

I agree, there are some head scratching losses in Gus' tenure and the LSU ones the last 2 years seem to bother me the most as we had a lead in both of those at halftime I believe and then Gus turtled up and went ultra-conservative.

Also don't forget even though we had a chance to beat them we also played Clemson who also became National champs. Auburn's overall schedule is somehow one of the toughest year in and year out and it seems like teams like UAT seem to coast until they play LSU and Auburn. Having to play Clemson, UGA, and Alabama in the same regular season the past few years has been brutal.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

wave off wave off wave off...abort abort. danger big bird robinson............lol. sorry. nothing to add i just wanted to see if the wave off works..........lol   waves

11 minutes ago, McFU said:

Also don't forget even though we had a chance to beat them we also played Clemson who also became National champs.

Think about.... in '16 & '17, Auburn held Clemson to 19 & 14 points respectively, in those 2 games.  In 21st century football, Auburn should NEVER lose games in which they give up less than 3 touchdowns (or even 3 SCORES in '17).

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

The ‘09 Tennessee games is one of my all time favorite games to watch. Absolutely boat raced them to death and wore them out. 

2 minutes ago, McFU said:

I agree, there are some head scratching losses in Gus' tenure and the LSU ones the last 2 years seem to bother me the most as we had a lead in both of those at halftime I believe and then Gus turtled up and went ultra-conservative.

Also don't forget even though we had a chance to beat them we also played Clemson who also became National champs. Auburn's overall schedule is somehow one of the toughest year in and year out and it seems like teams like UAT seem to coast until they play LSU and Auburn. Having to play Clemson, UGA, and Alabama in the same regular season the past few years has been brutal.

2018 UAT & AU had 7 common opponents >>  LSU/Arky/MSU/UT/OM/aTm/UGA.  UAT finished 7-0 & AU finished 3-4

2017 UAT & AU had 6 common opponents >> OM/aTm/Arky/LSU/MSU/Clemson.  UAT finished 6-0 & AU finished 4-2 (beating the piss out of uat/uga)

2016 UAT & AU had 6 common opponents >> Clemson/aTm/LSU/MSU/Arky/OM.  UAT finished 5-1 & AU finished 4-2

2015 UAT & AU had 6 common opponents >> OM/UGA/Arky/aTm/LSU/MSU.  UAT finished 6-0 & AU finished 1-5 :puke:

In the same time frame the head to head goes to uat 3-1 over AU.

So while Auburn does have a difficult schedule more times than not, half a dozen of on our schedule are common opponents with uat.  And both always have 3 cupcakes the likes of JaxSt/AlaSt/Liberty/ULL/Citdel/SoMiss/ArkySt/WKU added to the mix.   

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

2018 UAT & AU had 7 common opponents >>  LSU/Arky/MSU/UT/OM/aTm/UGA.  UAT finished 7-0 & AU finished 3-4

2017 UAT & AU had 6 common opponents >> OM/aTm/Arky/LSU/MSU/Clemson.  UAT finished 6-0 & AU finished 4-2 (beating the piss out of uat/uga)

2016 UAT & AU had 6 common opponents >> Clemson/aTm/LSU/MSU/Arky/OM.  UAT finished 5-1 & AU finished 4-2

2015 UAT & AU had 6 common opponents >> OM/UGA/Arky/aTm/LSU/MSU.  UAT finished 6-0 & AU finished 1-5 :puke:

In the same time frame the head to head goes to uat 3-1 over AU.

So while Auburn does have a difficult schedule more times than not, half a dozen of on our schedule are common opponents with uat.  And both always have 3 cupcakes the likes of JaxSt/AlaSt/Liberty/ULL/Citdel/SoMiss/ArkySt/WKU added to the mix.   

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perspective

download.gif

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Think about.... in '16 & '17, Auburn held Clemson to 19 & 14 points respectively, in those 2 games.  In 21st century football, Auburn should NEVER lose games in which they give up less than 3 touchdowns (or even 3 SCORES in '17).

This is Gus we're talking about here, or Oblivigus as I call him in those types of games. I'm in the Missouri crowd to and it's a populated place right now. If he's has changed then wonderful but it will take more than a win Saturday night to prove it. He will have to have a game where things aren't going his way for us to see the changes he's made. I'm very worried that if Nix makes a mistake or two he will go ultra conservative and then he's back to square one and he can start packing. Whether it is Nix or even Gatewood at some point he better put the game in their hands and live or die with it. This year he is going to have to let his players make plays and get out of the way.

OK, I am convinced.  Gus is going to finally turn the corner this year and do what it takes to achieve consistency at Auburn.

Now Lucy, tee that ball up and let's kick off this season!!!

Archived