Who thinks Putin should be at the G-8?

TexasTiger

5 minutes ago, Tiger Sue said:

I could argue who is more dense here but when a discussion gets to the point of insults I bow out of it. Have a good day.

You really don't think Trump is siding with Russia regarding being readmitted to the G7?

You asked "is he?"  :rolleyes:

Should Russia be in the G7; yes.  GDP is the same as Canada;  energy and economic issues are linked; and while more of an adversary than ally; talking more vs less in multi-lateral forums is good.  Does, or should it happen while Putin is alive; don't know.  I would be in favor if there was a specific goal in mind with bringing them in while he is still in charge.  Something tied to energy or security.

24 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Should Russia be in the G7; yes.  GDP is the same as Canada;  energy and economic issues are linked; and while more of an adversary than ally; talking more vs less in multi-lateral forums is good.  Does, or should it happen while Putin is alive; don't know.  I would be in favor if there was a specific goal in mind with bringing them in while he is still in charge.  Something tied to energy or security.

OK.

My understanding is that the G-7 / 8 is a place to talk about common economic interests that the larger world economies might have.  It is not a trade agreement and nobody gets any kind of favorable trade treatment because they are involved....it's just a forum for discussions.     Certainly we have some common concerns about energy and maybe some more specific issues that are outside of the UN's discussions.   Either way, to make it sound like some kind of sell out or capitulation to Putin to have them involved?    I don't see the big deal. :dunno:   Europeans have major dealings with Russia over energy and the US is the #8-10 trading partner with Russia ranging from minerals  to vodka.  

Archived