Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

29 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

As you understated, not a drastic improvement.  1.4% increase in completions, 1 foot increase per attempt.  TD/INT ratio improved though, which was nice, but 4 of those TDs came against LaTech.  I would side with @McLoofus on this one.

There wasn't too much to improve as the 2013 numbers were pretty good as well.  Those increases to the next year for the NFL would be huge.  I would agree with the LATech, but it's just one of those games where it is hard not to pad stats.  It makes you wonder what those years would have been had we had Steele as DC.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well you are actually agreeing with ABW as well since he did say he did not Drastically improve. So you really don’t actually have to choose sides on that point. Although, the fact that Gus was able to utilize Nick Marshall skill set is very commendable and should be noted as well. 

Fair enough, I just don't see it as markedly improving a QBs play year over year which I believe was Loof's point. 

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

There wasn't too much to improve as the 2013 numbers were pretty good as well.  Those increases to the next year for the NFL would be huge.  I would agree with the LATech, but it's just one of those games where it is hard not to pad stats.  It makes you wonder what those years would have been had we had Steele as DC.

I will never understand the Ellis Johnson hire, especially with the way Gus destroyed him as an OC.  It's almost as bad as hiring and retaining Rhett as OC for so long.

48 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

As you understated, not a drastic improvement.  1.4% increase in completions, 1 foot increase per attempt.  TD/INT ratio improved though, which was nice, but 4 of those TDs came against LaTech.  I would side with @McLoofus on this one.

Also, 2nd year in the system with a lot of the same pieces back, added Duke Williams to the WR corps... it would have been really weird if he hadn't improved at least as much as he did.

And holy crap with the "Nick chose CB" thing. Yeah. I'm sure he was looking down the barrel of getting drafted as a QB and said "nah". 

Nick was an all-timer for us. He is an Auburn legend. And Gus did a great job piecing together what we had at the time for a devastating offense. But none of what happened in 2013-2016 should be cited as evidence of Gus's ability to develop a passer, nor do I see logic in saying that our QB development took a hit when Chip Lindsey got here.

Kudos to Dilly if he really has changed the narrative, and kudos to Gus for hiring him and changing his dynamic with his OC. 

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

That’s not a live practice thing. That’s a Stidham thing. I need to see reports where a really good QB has come out and said he’s so good because of live practices 

Where's the report that a qb gets hurt playing live?

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Where's the report that a qb gets hurt playing live?

The last AU QB I remember getting heart in live practice was Neal Caudle.

My 2 cents as far as the live thing goes is the only way it makes sense of not letting them go live is if Gus already knows who the starter will be. Anyone who has ever played football knows the only way to find your starter is to let them go give and may the best man win. People can be absolute monsters in no contact drills but turn into deer looking into headlights when they go live.

It only makes sense if Gus already knows who the QB will be.

3 hours ago, WarTim said:

Either qb has a ton of potential. I support either one. May the best man WIN. 

Agree with this 100%. I have watched Nix for years, and going into spring I thought he would easily win out because he is such a good quarterback. Then Joey steps up and actually takes on a leadership role - something that was missing when he arrived on campus last year. Now it sounds like a toss-up (or that Joey is ahead). In the end, I just want a winner, plain and simple. Also - I find it odd when Au fans get upset when one QB performs better than the other. Seems more of a personal agenda and not really wanting what is best for Auburn. 

13 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree with this 100%. I have watched Nix for years, and going into spring I thought he would easily win out because he is such a good quarterback. Then Joey steps up and actually takes on a leadership role - something that was missing when he arrived on campus last year. Now it sounds like a toss-up (or that Joey is ahead). In the end, I just want a winner, plain and simple. Also - I find it odd when Au fans get upset when one QB performs better than the other. Seems more of a personal agenda and not really wanting what is best for Auburn. 

I haven’t seen anyone on here get upset about that. Sure some may have their favorite but for the most part I feel that everyone is ready to get behind QB1. Whoever that may be..

11 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I haven’t seen anyone on here get upset about that. Sure some may have their favorite but for the most part I feel that everyone is ready to get behind QB1. Whoever that may be..

I can assure you that if Bo wins out there will be people saying it was due to this decision made by Gus not to go live. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can assure you that if Bo wins out there will be people saying it was due to this decision made by Gus not to go live. 

But would anybody be upset if Bo played well is the question

12 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I still think it’s Gatewood. I think Nix will play early and often tho. 

This statement scares me though. I'd be happy with either as a starter. However, i will be fuming if we're playing musical QB chairs. Pick the starter and let him go until the back is absolutely needed. I don't want to see the backup subbed in or QB taking turns running series. It simply doesn't help the development of the QB and it often kills any momentum the offense has. I'm all for it if it's a blowout game and the backup is getting mop-up duty. That's my hope in which we do see Nix if he's the backup.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Not at all! I don’t think both will play great tbh if given the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But with that being said, both will make mistakes and that’s when I hate to see the critics with agendas come out. JG, imo, will start and him being so young , will make mistakes . Then you will hear the Nix fans say put Bo in. I don’t want to see that. 

With mistakes being in mind , I also hope Gus doesn’t go conservative if they do make mistakes . I felt like he did that early in SW career and it kind of screwed with him

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

With mistakes being in mind , I also hope Gus doesn’t go conservative if they do make mistakes . I felt like he did that early in SW career and it kind of screwed with him

Royally screwed him. 

9 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Royally screwed him. 

Nose candy didn’t do him any favors either.

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I will never understand the Ellis Johnson hire, especially with the way Gus destroyed him as an OC.  It's almost as bad as hiring and retaining Rhett as OC for so long.

Prior to the Auburn HC job, Gus was about 6 years removed from High school and had one year as a head coach in the Sun Belt. There’s a huge gap between being a creative offensive guy and having to run an entire program. Gus has to learn on the fly in the SEC. His last few hires seem more reflective of a veteran HC who has learned some valuable lessons. I’m hoping that growth continues this season. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Well you are actually agreeing with ABW as well since he did say he did not Drastically improve. So you really don’t actually have to choose sides on that point. Although, the fact that Gus was able to utilize Nick Marshall skill set is very commendable and should be noted as well. 

Exactly and to top it off, looks like we are slighting Marshall’s 2014 season because of a 4 Td performance against LA Tech and not make any mention of his 400+ yd outing in the Iron Bowl. 

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

But with that being said, both will make mistakes and that’s when I hate to see the critics with agendas come out. JG, imo, will start and him being so young , will make mistakes . Then you will hear the Nix fans say put Bo in. I don’t want to see that. 

Agreed. I can’t imagine a better season to have all 5 of our offensive line starters back. Even if they’re not dominant this season, at least our QB will be behind guys with experience and chemistry. 

Archived