Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That guy is on drugs. I couldn’t imagine my mindset right now when 6 wins is considered a pipe dream among the fan base. 

UT and Arky are in pretty bad spots.  Both programs made what appeared to be pretty good hires.  The fan bases backed of and gave the coaches time.  then they drove the programs into the dirt.  Especially Bielema 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

In June I read where an Arkansas beat writer predicted six wins to include a victory over Auburn............................................. I gues we can all dream

But you are correct about the inconsistency. I read on twitter where someone said auburn can win by 40 or lose by 40 and it wouldn’t surprise them. That is very accurate. However, I am hoping after 7 years, as you put it, Gus has found the right formula. I thought he did it by going have the DT - QBs but our recent commit shows me this to not be the case. Lol. Who knows? Maybe I am a glutton for punishment . If he fails feel free to give me all the I told you so’s. I just hope whatever the outcome is, it is for the benefit of Auburn’s future. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

That guy is on drugs. I couldn’t imagine my mindset right now when 6 wins is considered a pipe dream among the fan base. 

We surely cannot afford the lack of effort and focus we woefully exhibited for last year’s Tenn game. CGM and staff must find a way to be ready each week regardless of the opponent or who our QB is.

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

We surely cannot afford the lack of effort and focus we woefully exhibited for last year’s Tenn game. CGM and staff must find a way to be ready each week regardless of the opponent or who our QB is.

I don’t think this team will do that at all.  But if Arkansas beats us, Gus will surely be packing his bags. 

6 hours ago, DAG said:

But you are correct about the inconsistency. I read on twitter where someone said auburn can win by 40 or lose by 40 and it wouldn’t surprise them. That is very accurate. However, I am hoping after 7 years, as you put it, Gus has found the right formula. I thought he did it by going have the DT - QBs but our recent commit shows me this to not be the case. Lol. Who knows? Maybe I am a glutton for punishment . If he fails feel free to give me all the I told you so’s. I just hope whatever the outcome is, it is for the benefit of Auburn’s future. 

No one on this board is rooting for us to loose.   But we are tired of mediocrity.  A lot are hoping JG is the silver bullet.  Personally I think that this offense is a bad fit for someone like Nix. Bubble screens and the deep pass do not take advantage of his arm.  Gus made fun of Saban during media days because he complained about tempo offense but now he somewhat does it.  Well Saban evolved while Gus is doing the exact same thing and has not adjusted.  Also Gus said the next 3-4 years are about to be Auburn's best.  8-5, 10-4, 8-5.  Chizik went 8-5, 14-0, 8-5.  So no Gus doesn't even live up  to his own expectations.   I am curious, and I believe this is an honest and fair question. @McLoofus @bigbird @augolf1716 @WarDamnEagleWDE or anyone else in the know.   Does Gus see himself as an 8-5 coach? Does he feel  he has just had bad luck.  What is Gus's opinion on his ability to develop QB's.  I would think someone on this forum has an answer.  

2 minutes ago, au701948 said:

You're exactly right, and you can flip your statement around to prove your point. If Gus finds a way to be ready each week regardless of the opponent last year, then we don't see that lack of effort and focus the 2nd week in October. We'd already had 2 truly awful losses by then. Our team had definitely lost focus. 

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

No one on this board is rooting for us to loose.   But we are tired of mediocrity.  A ot are hoping JG is the silver bullet.  Personally I think like this offense is a bad fit for somoen like Nix. Bubble screens and the deep pass do not take advantage of his arm.  Gus made fun of Saban during media days because he complained about tempo offense but now he somewhat does it.  Well Saban evolved while Gus is doing the exact same thing and has not adjusted.  Also Gus said the next 3-4 years are about to be Auburn's best.  8-5, 10-4, 8-5.  Cgizik went 8-5, 14-0, 8-5.  So no Gus doesn'teven live up  to his own expectations.   I am curious, and I believe this is an honest and fair question. @McLoofus @bigbird @augolf1716 @WarDamnEagleWDE or anyone else in the know.   Does Gus see himself as an 8-5 coach? Does he feel  he has just had bad luck.  What is Gus's opinion on his ability to develop QB's.  I would thinnk someone on this forum has an answer.  

Hmmm there were people last year doing that specifically for the hope of the betterment of the program, but please let’s not open that can of worms. I don’t think there is even a reason to turn this thread into that because the same factions will spew the same stuff over and over

With it being apparent that our Qb will be running more no matter who it is this season, does anyone know if there is a effort of working on ball security in drills?  

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I am curious, and I believe this is an honest and fair question. @McLoofus @bigbird @augolf1716 @WarDamnEagleWDE or anyone else in the know.   Does Gus see himself as an 8-5 coach? Does he feel  he has just had bad luck.  What is Gus's opinion on his ability to develop QB's. 

I'm flattered, but I'm definitely *not* in the know. I'm just loud and on here way too much.

That said, I will offer my opinions while we wait for others such as those you named who do know some things:

-No, Gus doesn't see himself as an 8-5 coach.

-I do think he blames external factors too much and doesn't look in the mirror enough. It's *really* hard to argue that inflexibility and an unwillingness to evolve haven't been to his, and Auburn's, great detriment these last 5 years. 

-There is talk that Dilly has somehow improved QB development. *If accurate*, I have to think that he has changed Gus's way of thinking, earned his trust, earned Kristi's trust, *something*. Whatever Gus thinks of his own ability to develop QBs, it's possible that he's *evolved* to a point where he's open to other ideas. 

As far as his QBs this season, if one of them is successful and if we actually start employing a competent passing offense- ie not just screens and deep balls- then I will suspend a lot of my own criticism. 

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

With it being apparent that our Qb will be running more no matter who it is this season, does anyone know if there is a effort of working on ball security in drills?  

All I can tell you was what Kenny Dillingham said about Spring Practice: “The biggest thing for me was getting their drops down. Being consistent with their drops,” he said. “I mean, when you play quarterback, you can’t be worried about what type of drop you’re going to take, or how you’re going to take the drop. It’s got to be natural to the play. So I think that was the biggest thing for us, was the fundamentals of—it sounds so beginner, but we didn’t do many drills. We lined up and we took drops all spring. Drops, drops, drops. You’re going to look at it and say, ‘Man, y’all didn’t get better.’ But football, it’s a pretty simple game when you break it down, and that’s where everything starts, is at the feet of the quarterback. So we really focused on the base of our quarterbacks and making sure they’re driving off their foot and making sure they’re having a base in their drops.”

So ball security?  IDK, but we have our drops down.

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

All I can tell you was what Kenny Dillingham said about Spring Practice: “The biggest thing for me was getting their drops down. Being consistent with their drops,” he said. “I mean, when you play quarterback, you can’t be worried about what type of drop you’re going to take, or how you’re going to take the drop. It’s got to be natural to the play. So I think that was the biggest thing for us, was the fundamentals of—it sounds so beginner, but we didn’t do many drills. We lined up and we took drops all spring. Drops, drops, drops. You’re going to look at it and say, ‘Man, y’all didn’t get better.’ But football, it’s a pretty simple game when you break it down, and that’s where everything starts, is at the feet of the quarterback. So we really focused on the base of our quarterbacks and making sure they’re driving off their foot and making sure they’re having a base in their drops.”

That’s a very good thing actually. Pocket presence and movement in the pocket is very important . Some of the best coaches in the world are big on fundamentals and the simple fundamentals at that. 

32 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

This what I’ve been waiting for, the film with the QBs running with the footballs tied to rubber bands.  How can we evaluate the QB position adequately with out seeing them run around in this type of scenario?

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I still think it’s Gatewood. I think Nix will play early and often tho. 

Thank you for your insight as always. I’m slightly partial to Nix just because I’ve seen his speed and the type of throws he can make. But I truly believe in both guys. Hopefully Gus names a starter after the scrimmage  

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s a very good thing actually. Pocket presence and movement in the pocket is very important . Some of the best coaches in the world are big on fundamentals and the simple fundamentals at that. 

Yeah (most) people don't understand how important footwork is to quarterback play. IMO, this is what Joey needs help with the most, so it's not surprising to me that it's been a point of focus. 

Everything starts with a quarterbacks feet: accuracy, timing, vision.

59 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

If this is something that truly hasn't been practiced in the past under Gus then it's worse than I thought.

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Chip Lindsey deserves a lot of blame, too

This would be correct if that is the case since he indeed was the QB coach, but I am pretty sure I saw Chip doing this as well. 

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If this is something that truly hasn't been practiced in the past under Gus then it's worse than I thought.

So I  can only  speak for the Jeremy Johnson era,but this was all he said he was taught how to do.  Which leads me to believe this is all  Dillingham is allowed to teach. Which leads me  to  believe this is why Gus  hired Dillingham in the first place, he will do  exactly as he is told.  Which also leads me to believe that is why Carnell Williams was hired.  Which leads me to believe the offense will be predictable an show lack of player developent.  Which Leads  me  to  believe that there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll.  Which leads  me  to believe that LBJ had Kennedy assassinated so  he could become  President and lead us to  war in Vietnam.  Which leads me....wait what just happened?

Bo is a 5 star DT natural born leader. Either qb has a ton of potential. I support either one. May the best man WIN. 

10 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Chip Lindsey deserves a lot of blame, too

For what, exactly? Gus had exactly 1 good QB in the 4 years before Chip got here. He was the same guy in year 2 that he was in year 1 and ended up playing cornerback in Canada. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Ah. Okay. So we're actually saying the same thing... I think...

I am under the impression that Gus has said these guys aren't going to go live at all, and that is what I am arguing against. If Gus didn't say that and these guys are going to go live some, then I have no beef with anything. 

I am definitely *not* saying that there shouldn't be situationals, drills, whatever to work on certain things. 

Of course, maybe you're just saying that they should only go live on Saturdays once the season starts, in which case let's go back to arguing. 

Just as an FYI, Gus had the Auburn QB's go live all spring so he does at least have some information.  They were going live all the way up until the spring game:

“You know, any time you go live, it’s a totally different ballgame and ball security and everything that goes with that — how you handle the rush, how you feel the rush, when to take off running, when to throw the ball away.  There’s a lot of teaching moments that we were able to show our players as far as that.  Any time you go live, it changes the whole perspective,” Malzahn said. “The approach — I learned a lot about the approach of the quarterbacks, of how they’re going to approach the games being live and everything."

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For what, exactly? Gus had exactly 1 good QB in the 4 years before Chip got here. He was the same guy in year 2 that he was in year 1 and ended up playing cornerback in Canada. 

Not trying to pick on you with back to back posts.  Nick did progress from year to year in all facets, but not drastically if that was your original intent.  If it was I would agree.

Capture.JPG

And as E said before, that was Marshall's choice to switch to CB.  He wanted to do that.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not trying to pick on you with back to back posts.  Nick did progress from year to year in all facets, but not drastically if that was your original intent.  If it was I would agree.

Capture.JPG

And as E said before, that was Marshall's choice to switch to CB.  He wanted to do that.

As you understated, not a drastic improvement.  1.4% increase in completions, 1 foot increase per attempt.  TD/INT ratio improved though, which was nice, but 4 of those TDs came against LaTech.  I would side with @McLoofus on this one.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, QBs should be live once a week.

At least from the thighs up.  ...watch the knees though. 🙏

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

As you understated, not a drastic improvement.  1.4% increase in completions, 1 foot increase per attempt.  TD/INT ratio improved though, which was nice, but 4 of those TDs came against LaTech.  I would side with @McLoofus on this one.

Well you are actually agreeing with ABW as well since he did say he did not Drastically improve. So you really don’t actually have to choose sides on that point. Although, the fact that Gus was able to utilize Nick Marshall skill set is very commendable and should be noted as well. 

Archived