Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

Just now, cole256 said:

I agree with that but that doesn't really answer what I'm saying, I'm saying how do you know a guy fumbles alot without hitting him? Also you need a few fumbles to learn how to more protect the ball, I'd rather see them in practice. And also just some natural thingslike switching hands and holding the ball out you're going to learn by repetition

Yeah, I don't think anyone disagrees that there are certain things you just can't know about a guy, or even yourself until you do it live, in pads, with full contact. No doubt and I agree with you 100% on that point. I have no idea where these guys are and what the coaches have already learned about them through the spring, but if they are still not sure who they are going with then yeah, it makes sense to make them go live to see who can play with that edge. I think that's the only way to truly run a competition. That said, it has its risks and again, my sense is that the coaches already know who they are going to start against Oregon. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Why would anyone tell him that Cole? At the end of the day the QB position is about throwing the ball. It is a LUXURY to have an athletic QB. Again, I agree with you that we don't know what either of these guys can do on game day. 

We know JG can run, Cole. You know that. I know that. Gus knows that. That is all I am saying.  He has been doing it since high school, he did it in the UA game, he did it against Purdue and apparently, he has been doing it against our defense. So I am just confused as to why there is this anxiety about him not fully doing it now?

Why would anyone tell him what? And I don't know how good he is running. I'm excited to see but I don't know. And if you don't understand what I'm saying I don't know what else to do. It's different as far as playing in practice and playing in games. I think they said the same about Baker Mayfield

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone disagrees that there are certain things you just can't know about a guy, or even yourself until you do it live, in pads, with full contact. No doubt and I agree with you 100% on that point. I have no idea where these guys are and what the coaches have already learned about them through the spring, but if they are still not sure who they are going with then yeah, it makes sense to make them go live to see who can play with that edge. I think that's the only way to truly run a competition. That said, it has its risks and again, my sense is that the coaches already know who they are going to start against Oregon. 

That may be true, I'm just thinking with Gus past he's probably played them non contact more than live and I think that could be a mistake. But yeah you see what I'm saying

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

What happened to this thread? I went to a two hour Bible study and came back to chaos. 😆 

This is not chaos this is actually one of the best threads we have going now. People are talking and it's cordial and people are learning new things. Nobody being force fed anything or judged. No hyper sensitivity and nobody having a fitbecause their view isn't accepted by everybody

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

That's a pretty rad fishing set up you've got there. Where do you fish?

Thanks, mostly out in the gulf off of Gulf Shores  and Orange Beach.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree. The sole reason why we joke about 7 on 7 camp warriors and all that stuff when they otherwise look the part except for the nitty gritty.

Exactly. I forget that you're from where I'm from, every time I went to play Brooks when you watched them in warm ups their entire team would shoot like 80% from 3. But when it was time to play stuff was different when they had a defense in front of them and a packed gym yelling and screaming....also shooting in the 4th quarter after playing most of the game is a little different shot than the warm up shot

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Exactly. I forget that you're from where I'm from, every time I went to play Brooks when you watched them in warm ups their entire team would shoot like 80% from 3. But when it was time to play stuff was different when they had a defense in front of them and a packed gym yelling and screaming....also shooting in the 4th quarter after playing most of the game is a little different shot than the warm up shot

Yeah Brooks never had much resolve. Muscle Shoals did for the most part. Florence. Central had one tough team. 

I think Malzahn should seek all the information he can get from his competing QBs and he’s turning down this golden opportunity. Could just be 15 or so reps each. 

• ellitor changed the title to Fall Camp: Practice 5 Observations
4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Hate that we might have to play coe at DT primarily since DE seems to be the best option for him especially with us being in dire need of a pass rusher but if Handy can be what he's been talked about then I'm fine with it.

It's not too bad if Coe plays a lot inside. He's not really a pass rushing Buck & that's a major job of that position.

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Well if they already know who the guy is, that guy should be getting tons of reps.

Not really until Fall camp ends & Oregon work begins. Still got a week+ of Fall camp.

It seems like some of y’all are making it seem like Auburn is the only team who doesn’t go live with their QB’s. Even when the QB’s aren’t getting hit, they still count sacks if the QB doesn’t release the ball quick enough. It’s not like they’re back there counting 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi. QB’s are just too important for them to go live every practice 

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

What happened to this thread? I went to a two hour Bible study and came back to chaos. 😆 

Actually it's been a really civil debate. I'm proud of all parties involved, including Jeff.

I hate this obsession AU has with QBs needing to run because of Cam and Nick. 

We could have freaking Tom Brady back there and fans would nag that JG is the better athlete and "extends the play" and "run threat".  The QBs job is to throw the ball, if you want to run so badly in any given play, change positions. 

Of course it's all a Gus problem. He'd call the same run up the middle and QB runs even if he did have Brady back there. 

• ellitor changed the title to Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)
42 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

I hate this obsession AU has with QBs needing to run because of Cam and Nick. 

Joey was 2018 #1 athlete 

Bo Nix was 2019 #1 DT QB I believe.

The ball will be ran by both or one of them because DT quarterbacks can pressure defenses into picking their poison. Can soften coverages. Can exploit mismatches.

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm proud of all parties involved, including Jeff.

wth

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

wth

It's a compliment. Be happy & accept it. With all the arguing you do at times you gotta let us good naturedly bust your chops some.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well that puts Joey at a disadvantage IMO

How do you figure? Staff has at least some examples of what Joey looks like live (e.g. bowl game) but this means Bo will not get a chance to show them anything close to that live.

Did you guys ever consider that Gus’ reason for not letting the QBs go live is because he doesn’t want Joey G. to hurt any of our defensive players? 😉

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Took him 4 games to know what Cam could do.

per what he's said, he's done everything he could accelerate what he's thrown at QBs this year to mitigate the chance of that happening. Not to mention Joey presents half the headache for Gus in terms of developing: he's been known the playbook. Cam had to learn that plus the game time intricacies 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

also our defense needs to play and practice against a threat back there. Helps everybody

Great point. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Actually it's been a really civil debate. I'm proud of all parties involved, including Jeff.

I thought so as well too. Great points by both sides.

We all know Gus wants Joey to be the qb. I know most would say c'mon man....But I want to be sure that Nix gets his due diligence and Joey isn't just thrown out there because he is more of an overall threat especially with this offense. Just think about it...If the competition is still really close at the end of camp he will just ride with Joey.

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I still think it’s Gatewood. I think Nix will play early and often tho. 

Thank you for the intel! Joey being the guy has been my gut feeling all along. However, I would not be disappointed with either one getting the nod. I just want Auburn to win, and to win often. 

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not really until Fall camp ends & Oregon work begins. Still got a week+ of Fall camp.

You’d still think that a brand new fresh legged QB would need more than game prep to start his first game against a top 15 team. Maybe that’s the difference between Gus and myself, and he probably knows what he’s doing. At least I hope.

Archived