Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

9 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I can see that. Both have clowns wearing striped shirts. 

PhotoGrid_1565130705712.jpg

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think I saw something somewhere that a player was quoted as saying that Joey was a completely different player without the orange jersey on. Hopefully gus realizes that.

He's harped on it himself. I get it..Precautionary measures and all but they could at least do it just once.

14 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

cmon man are u kidding me?

That would lead me to think they already know who the starter is. If it was undecided you would think they would go live.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

That would lead me to think they already know who the starter is. If it was undecided you would think they would go live.

That's what I'm thinking

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

He's harped on it himself. I get it..Precautionary measures and all but they could at least do it just once.

I understand both sides tbh. If we go live and a QB gets hurt, everybody would saying wth, if we don’t go live in fall camp, a lot of people feel that we really aren’t letting our coaches and players see the full potential and things to work on in our offense before game 1. I just hope by not going live that he doesn’t let that play majorly in the qb decision.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

“His hand is a little banged up. We hope to have him back in the future.” 😎

Ahhhhhh..... classic Gus quote.

AlarmingScentedAoudad-size_restricted.gif

My perspective is I feel most people don't think about how different it really is for a guy that is used heavy in the run game and the hardships they faced can't be simulated any other way than going through it.

Like when people would automatically come to the conclusion that Nick Marshall wasn't good at throwing the ball when he may have an off throw downfield.....it could be that....or it could be that he just ran 30 yards to avoid a sack and only picked up 10....But that fatigue could have ALOT to do with it as well. QB's that rarely have to run do not have to deal with that and you can't simulate it

24 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I get it... they go live  and the first time the media reports that one of the QBs is bruised we’d all be calling for Gus’s Head. Just playing devils advocate 

How's that any different than the last few years?

:poke:

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

My perspective is I feel most people don't think about how different it really is for a guy that is used heavy in the run game and the hardships they faced can't be simulated any other way than going through it.

Like when people would automatically come to the conclusion that Nick Marshall wasn't good at throwing the ball when he may have an off throw downfield.....it could be that....or it could be that he just ran 30 yards to avoid a sack and only picked up 10....But that fatigue could have ALOT to do with it as well. QB's that rarely have to run do not have to deal with that and you can't simulate it

I get you're saying now. That's a good point, and I honestly don't know of there's a good way to balance it, since there is always the risk of him getting hurt. 

I am sure Gus knows the capabilities of JG in the running game and this gives him a clear advantage, unless he is a turnover machine passing. IMO, Bo would have to be lights out to upend that. 

Just now, amsterjam said:

From my understanding JJ looked like a Hiesman candidate with the orange jersey on. 

That's the thing. We won't have a clue who starts and more importantly what we really have until Aug. 31

1 minute ago, amsterjam said:

From my understanding JJ looked like a Hiesman candidate with the orange jersey on. 

That's a pretty rad fishing set up you've got there. Where do you fish?

30 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think they already know who their guy is. Doubt it has any impact. JMO

Well if they already know who the guy is, that guy should be getting tons of reps. We are talking about 2 guys that have never played football against an SEC team. IMO, Gus is just assuming he knows what he’s got athletically from both guys and now he just wants to see who can make plays and limit mistakes.

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Well if they already know who the guy is, that guy should be getting tons of reps. We are talking about 2 guys that have never played football against an SEC team. IMO, Gus is just assuming he knows what he’s got athletically from both guys and now he just wants to see who can make plays and limit mistakes.

This is true, too. 

It’s a good thing if Joey is made uncomfortable by just throwing the ball. He’s not a RB he’s a QB. You can’t beat everybody on your feet. Sometimes you’re going to have to win with your arm. The QB’s need to be uncomfortable because the games will be uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am sure Gus knows the capabilities of JG in the running game and this gives him a clear advantage, unless he is a turnover machine passing. IMO, Bo would have to be lights out to upend that. 

Not about knowing capabilities. But you just brought up a good point, how do you know he's a turnover machine without it being live? You can't even know 100% their decision making without it being live.

You can play basketball everyday and not be in shape for a real game, and you can be great at pick up and horrible when it's time to play with refs

Just now, cole256 said:

Not about knowing capabilities. But you just brought up a good point, how do you know he's a turnover machine without it being live? You can't even know 100% their decision making without it being live.

You can play basketball everyday and not be in shape for a real game, and you can be great at pick up and horrible when it's time to play with refs

Well, by it not being live, he can't just pull down and run (Which we all know he is capable of). It forces him to pass the ball and make correct decisions. Petrino did this same thing with Lamar Jackson prior to his sophomore year and it played dividends. Not saying Gus is Petrino like, but we know JG is an athletic beast. The key is can make the simple pass as well.

Archived