Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That reads like the 2006 Florida setup except with a true freshman in the Leak position. 

I’d be happy with the same end result 😂

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

I’d be happy with the same end result 😂

That's been my response every time people have freaked out about the possibility of a "two-QB system".

1) Folks, nobody is talking about the CoxCat. That's not happening again. Just stop it. Chandler Cox isn't even here anymore. 

2) There was one time that it worked with a primary QB and a package guy, and damn, did it work! And we have guys that somewhat fit the profiles...

...except Bo is probably more athletic than Leak was, and Leak was a senior and 4th-year starter while Bo is a true freshman. 

Man. Always an adventure on the Plains. 

Isn't it just a ray of sunshine around here when you don't have to pick sides, you follow suite with evidence and you are able to give props and critique equally?! The threads run much smoother.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Isn't it just a ray of sunshine around here when you don't have to pick sides, you follow suite with evidence and you are able to give props and critique equally?! The threads run much smoother.

Image result for we don't do that here gif

43 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

YPR as in yards per rush? That’s what I posted above as YPC (yards per carry). My bad

EDIT- if you’re asking about Aplins rushing numbers...

2011 - 161 carries for 588yds (3.7ypc) 10 TDs was also the leading rusher 👀

2012 - 104 carries for 438yds (4.2ypc) 6Tds, second leading rusher behind David Oku (1061yds)

43 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

YPR as in yards per rush? That’s what I posted above as YPC (yards per carry). My bad

EDIT- if you’re asking about Aplins rushing numbers...

2011 - 161 carries for 588yds (3.7ypc) 10 TDs was also the leading rusher 👀

2012 - 104 carries for 438yds (4.2ypc) 6Tds, second leading rusher behind David Oku (1061yds)

Avg Yards per completion

Or Avg Yards per reception

Well I am not going to read to much into. What I will say is I don’t want to play the game of putting Bo Nix in the redzone for obvious passing attempts. Again, I am not saying this will be the case and I am not looking to attack Gus. It is just weird for Nix to get 1st team reps in the redzone but JG to get 1st snaps doing the read. I say go with the guy who is capable of doing both well. 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Avg Yards per completion

Yeah where are you going with this bird ? Lol

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Another good QB example to look at is Ryan Aplin at Arkansas State. In 2011 he was coached by Hugh Freeze (who gets lots of praise for his passing offense and QB development). In 2011 Aplin was 304/476 (63.9%) for 3588yds with 19 TDs and 16 INTs.

Under Gus in 2012, Aplin went 276/406 for 3342yds (68%) with 24Tds and just 4 INTs. 

@DAG

The offensive passing yards and % were similar in the two years. I just wanted to see the difference between HF's and GM's passing.

For example,

Ryan Davis, in 2017, had 84 receptions but only 815 yards...9.7 ypc avg

Sammie Coates, in 2013, had 42 receptions for 902 yards ...21.5 ypc avg

Similar total yards, completely different path to get there.

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I am not going to read to much into. What I will say is I don’t want to play the game of putting Bo Nix in the redzone for obvious passing attempts. Again, I am not saying this will be the case and I am not looking to attack Gus. It is just weird for Nix to get 1st team reps in the redzone but JG to get 1st snaps doing the read. I say go with the guy who is capable of doing both well. 

It's really sad that this is even a possibility smh. Whoever the starter is, ride with him. Bring in the 2nd guy for blowouts. Really don't want to do that if we truly are trying to go fast. Marching down the field and then take Joey out in the redzone. I would be highly upset.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Avg Yards per completion

RIP... my bad I’ll check in a sec. 

EDIT:

2011 - Ryan Aplin 3588/304 for 11.8yds per completion

2012 - Ryan Aplin 3342/276 for 12.1 yds per completion

LEADING RECEIVER:

2011 - Frampton 94 receptions for 1156yds (12.3)

2012 - McKissic 103 Receptions for 1022yds (9.9).

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

@DAG

The offensive passing yards and % were similar in the two years. I just wanted to see the difference between HF's and GM's passing.

Google please try it

On 8/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, McLoofus said:

As @cole256 said, none of that matters when the QB knows he's not actually going to get hit. 

Look at Stidham last season and how much his behavior and and out of the pocket changed once he knew that he had no protection and that every 3rd down meant a deep ball that took 20 seconds to develop. Now read reports out of Foxboro about how he's quietly a rising star in a different offense that has protected the QB (along with the help of the NFL) better than possibly any in history. 

These guys won't be ready for game situations if they haven't faced them. 

Watching Stidham absolutely light up a bad defense in his first NFL action because he has protection. Throwing the ball all over the field, too. Had Happy feet early and quickly got over it. Very happy for him. Should have 3 TDs if not for drops and uncalled PI.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Folks, nobody is talking about the CoxCat. That's not happening again. Just stop it. Chandler Cox isn't even here anymore.

That's only because the "Schenker-Cat" doesn't have the same ring to it. :beer2:

Archived