Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

With mistakes being in mind , I also hope Gus doesn’t go conservative if they do make mistakes . I felt like he did that early in SW career and it kind of screwed with him

I agree, I will say in regards to 2015, when JJ shocked the world with his turnovers, the last thing Gus could afford that year was to let Sean White do the same thing. The Miss State game was a perfect example. First drive we were throwing a lot on first down, moving the ball down field. Then SW throws across the field in the red zone and results in a pick. Gus pulls back after that. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Nose candy didn’t do him any favors either.

I wans't the biggest SW supporter. Say what you want about the kid but he wasn't put in the best position to be better; and he actually put up decent numbers. I think he could've been even more productive if utilized properly; and that's before his "issues" occured. Point is we have to learn how to better utilize all our weapons on offense; make adjustments as needed and quicker. 

7 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Exactly and to top it off, looks like we are slighting Marshall’s 2014 season because of a 4 Td performance against LA Tech and not make any mention of his 400+ yd outing in the Iron Bowl. 

No reactions left but thanks for the balance in commentary 

5 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I agree, I will say in regards to 2015, when JJ shocked the world with his turnovers, the last thing Gus could afford that year was to let Sean White do the same thing. The Miss State game was a perfect example. First drive we were throwing a lot on first down, moving the ball down field. Then SW throws across the field in the red zone and results in a pick. Gus pulls back after that. 

Yep that’s the game I was thinking of. SW was moving down the field and he made that crucial mistake. He was down on himself and unfortunately Gus went conservative the rest of the way. Learning lesson for both parties I presume. 

I personally think (redundant, huh?  Sorry) that whomever starts is not a big decision.  Gus can't afford to create an atmosphere where either will transfer in Jan.  Thus, both will play quite a bit this year.  Whichever QB plays least vs Oregon will start in game 2.  

I saw Gus writing on a sticky note at the Exxon as he pumped the gas and it said, "reminder: tell Dilly to go forward with Operation Bo-Gate". 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep that’s the game I was thinking of. SW was moving down the field and he made that crucial mistake. He was down on himself and unfortunately Gus went conservative the rest of the way. Learning lesson for both parties I presume. 

I still think if Jovon Robinson was bought in, 2015 would’ve been less of a disaster. Malzahn also mentioned getting bad advice years ago during this years media days. That seems to line up with some folks who speculated that part of the decrease in pace and the conservative approach was influenced by Muschamp. 

I need to go digit up, but StatTiger did a piece on comparing the 2015 offenses percentage of plays between 10-15yrds and it was actually one of the higher ones (top 5 I think) in the last 20yrs (from 2015). What was missing was the explosive plays. The 2015 offense ranked at close to last in the same time frame at creating plays of 15yds or more. I think the rate was something like 1 every 80 or so plays. 

I agree with alot, I agree that whoever wins the fans of the other QB will be at them for mistakes; I agree that SW wasn't in the best position but I think jj wasn't in the best position. I think he gets a bad wrap and his ints are over blown, and I don't think people actually look at the real stats. I agree that SW definitely looked liked he was screwed as far as his confidence throwing down field; he made a career making a bunch of check down throws.  I agree people like to discredit Marshall big games but forget what he did in the biggest games

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I still think it’s Gatewood. I think Nix will play early and often tho. 

All I've seen of Nix is what I saw in the A day game, and I agree completely.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree with alot, I agree that whoever wins the fans of the other QB will be at them for mistakes; I agree that SW wasn't in the best position but I think jj wasn't in the best position. I think in gets a bad wrap and his ints are over blown, and I don't think people actually look at the real stats. I agree that SW definitely looked liked he was screwed as far as his confidence throwing down field; he made a career making a bunch of check down throws.  I agree people like to discredit Marshall big games but forget what he did in the biggest games

This is the best thread ever. Even in disagreement we all are finding common ground .

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

All I've seen of Nix is what I saw in the A day game, and I agree completely.

I like nix but if JG is the QB then Nix does not need to play often and vice versa. The QB needs to develop rhythm and chemistry with the offense and that can’t be done with a musical chair scenario. Maybe a situational scenario. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I like nix but if JG is the QB then Nix does not need to play often and vice versa. The QB needs to develop rhythm and chemistry with the offense and that can’t be done with a musical chair scenario. Maybe a situational scenario. 

I agree with that, always have. If Gatewood is good enough to keep Nix on the bench that's great. However, just from my short observation of the Nix kid it's going to be a tall order.

I miss some sure, but I'm the same guy who touted Aundray Bruce an all American when he was a freshman playing on the kickoff team. 

Still remains to be proven, but I also said Derek Brown could be the best DT tackle ever to play at Auburn, when he was a freshman. 

Nix is the most polished looking freshman QB I've personally ever seen at Auburn.

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I agree with that, always have. If Gatewood is good enough to keep Nix on the bench that's great. However, just from my short observation of the Nix kid it's going to be a tall order.

Nix is the most polished looking freshman QB I've personally ever seen at Auburn.

No kidding. I have said it over and over as well - Nix is the best freshman QB I have seen at AU. Kid has it all. And if Joey is good enough to keep someone that talented on the bench, we are going to win a lot of games. Can't wait for the season. 

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

No kidding. I have said it over and over as well - Nix is the best freshman QB I have seen at AU. Kid has it all. And if Joey is good enough to keep someone that talented on the bench, we are going to win a lot of games. Can't wait for the season. 

I’m like the exact opposite but still reach the same conclusion of:

“if _____ is good enough to keep someone that talented on the bench, we are going to win a lot of games.”

We may not win a whole lot of games this year., but the future is bright. Maybe a Sam Ehlinger wins trajectory. Everything I’ve heard about Nix is respectable, so if not for my own apple in my eye in Joey, he’d be easy to pull for first. If he wins the job, well I’m an Auburn fan first, Gatewood fan second. I’ll root for Nix while knowing Gatewood probably won’t stick around, and I’ll follow his career elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I miss some sure, but I'm the same guy who touted Aundray Bruce an all American when he was a freshman playing on the kickoff team. 

Still remains to be proven, but I also said Derek Brown could be the best DT tackle ever to play at Auburn, when he was a freshman. 

Speaking of Derek Brown, I was watching SEC now and Stinchcomb touted some guy from A&M as the best d lineman in the SEC. what a joke

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree with alot, I agree that whoever wins the fans of the other QB will be at them for mistakes; I agree that SW wasn't in the best position but I think jj wasn't in the best position. I think he gets a bad wrap and his ints are over blown, and I don't think people actually look at the real stats. I agree that SW definitely looked liked he was screwed as far as his confidence throwing down field; he made a career making a bunch of check down throws.  I agree people like to discredit Marshall big games but forget what he did in the biggest games

I don't think anyone is discrediting Nick at all. The question was how much did he improve from 2013 to 2014. Not much in my mind. 

He was a beast in the 2014 IB. So were his receivers. 

5 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Speaking of Derek Brown, I was watching SEC now and Stinchcomb touted some guy from A&M as the best d lineman in the SEC. what a joke

Dude may be. I don't keep up with A&M enough to have seen him. I think Brown has all the potential in the world. Question is will he become a true game changer this year, or not. Nick Fairley for one particular season was the first real game changing DT we've had since Tracy Rocker. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I wans't the biggest SW supporter. Say what you want about the kid but he wasn't put in the best position to be better; and he actually put up decent numbers. I think he could've been even more productive if utilized properly; and that's before his "issues" occured. Point is we have to learn how to better utilize all our weapons on offense; make adjustments as needed and quicker. 

True. Me personally, though, going live on your qb’s is playing with fire. 

I am scared to death of playing both QBs. Not necessarily because I don't think it could work, but afraid of how Gus is notorious for tipping off the play by personnel on the field. 

4 minutes ago, api1957 said:

True. Me personally, though, going live on your qb’s is playing with fire. 

Normally i want QBs to go live and esp. with our inability of having our QBs ready to go to start the season. However, this year i actually support not going live. I know that is risky in that bouth our QBs present more of a mobile aspect and it may help them to go live to see how their instincts are if things break down. BUT i just have a feeling that we know what each bring to the table even though they're young an inexperienced. Their will be some growing pains but i just feel like both will not be a JJ or KF 2.0 situation. Both seem to have good in game presence and confidence about themselves. I'm just hoping we don't kill that for either QB. Fans and Gus are going to have to be patient with whomever the starter is. Don't get down on the starter or impatient too quickly. As someone mentioned eariler...Gus can't go too conservative when the QB makes mistakes. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think anyone is discrediting Nick at all. The question was how much did he improve from 2013 to 2014. Not much in my mind. 

I’ll need to go pull the numbers, but most of the categories regarding efficiency, he saw increases. Gotta remember Sammie Coates was battling injuries most of the season and Duke got hurt against A&M or La Tech, can’t recall. And then in the bowl game, both were out (Sammie played but pulled himself out early on). This was also an offense that had to replace Tre, Greg Robinson and Jay Prosch. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe discredit isn't the best word but I'm not a wordsmith, what I'm trying to express you hear people talk about him saying he couldn't throw or he wasn't a true QB than how he destroyed most teams he played against with his arm......And he won ALOT of games so I feel like if you speak on his negatives more often than not then you literally have to move the positives out of the way just to find them, if that makes sense but I probably just made it more murky lol

But I will say I feel they screwed him by not letting him go work out with that QB trainer....that would've been his one shot for anybody to let him try and really see if he could improve with coaching or not

I must say though the one thing that's just crazy to me but plenty people say it is saying we know what we have......to be Auburn fans and saying that is crazy enough to me but on top of that we're talking two guys that doesn't have any experience......I promise you that we don't know, nobody does

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I must say though the one thing that's just crazy to me but plenty people say it is saying we know what we have......to be Auburn fans and saying that is crazy enough to me but on top of that we're talking two guys that doesn't have any experience......I promise you that we don't know, nobody does

Nobody knows what each guy can produce on the field as the primary QB, but I do think most people have gathered that JG is much more of a run threat . It’s hard for me to see how anyone could disagree with that. 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

This underrated comment as well. I think some of us, including myself are undervaluing Nix's ability to escape pressure. The assumption is with a true live practice that would put JG over the top in a competition. 

I honestly believe that both guys are very capable of leading us. And maybe I am seeing this thing backwards from most folks but I think JG has a stronger arm than Nix ( not sure about being accurate) and Nix is possibly a better runner... but JMO.. I am good with either guy starting. 

4 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I honestly believe that both guys are very capable of leading us. And maybe I am seeing this thing backwards from most folks but I think JG has a stronger arm than Nix ( not sure about being accurate) and Nix is possibly a better runner... but JMO.. I am good with either guy starting. 

I can see JG having a stronger arm. I am curious on your thoughts about Nix being a better runner though 

Archived