10 Most Important Tigers

aubiefifty

Auburn's 10 Most Important Tigers

ByBrandon Marcello 21 hours ago

Auburn Undercover editor Brandon Marcello takes a look at the roster and ranks the top 50 players on the team entering the 2019 season. Think of it as a breakdown of each player and an extended preview of the upcoming season.

Today we recap the top 10 players on the list of Most Important Tigers before the team takes the field and begins practicing for the upcoming season.

No. 10 Big Kat Bryant, junior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9238 247Sports Composite; No. 14 weakside defensive end

Notable: Big Kat Bryant spent most of the 2018 season as Nick Coe’s backup at the Buck pass rusher position, though he did start in three games, including two of the final three. He started in the Music City Bowl as Coe nursed a surgically-repaired right wrist, and Bryant certainly did not disappoint in extended action.

The then-sophomore returned an interception 20 yards for a touchdown in the Tigers’ 63-14 demolition of Purdue in the Music City Bowl.

He had only 18 tackles in 12 games, but he was extremely productive during his time on the field. He accumulated four tackles for loss, forced a fumble and had 3.5 sacks, including a contribution on a sack in the Music City Bowl.

2019 outlook: Nick Coe is projected to be the Tigers’ starter at Buck this fall after finishing with a team-high seven sacks to go along with his 27 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries, but questions at the defensive tackle position may change those plans and open the door for Bryant to possibly start or at least play more often at Buck.

Coe will play inside and outside this upcoming season, and Bryant knows there is a window of opportunity in the fall to become a star player at the most coveted position on Auburn's defensive roster should Coe play more inside next to Derrick Brown at tackle than at Buck. Bryant had two goals in the offseason: get stronger and faster. It's a common approach and utterance, sure, and Bryant admitted as much when he talked about adding muscle, but there is more to it than just listing a few superlatives.

"That'll help people take their game to the next level, but me, it's been my get-off. That's something I've really been trying to get better at," he said. "I watched a lot of my film from last year; that's something I've been trying to get better at. I think my get-off was OK, but I'm trying to get better at it. [Defensive line coach Rodney Garner] tells me all the time that's something that will get you paid. And my hand placement, that's something else."

Bryant could be a gamble in the top 10 of our Most Important Tigers, but with Coe potentially moving inside, you're probably going to see more of the Big Kat this fall, even if it means working some at defensive end. He's versatile, after all, and so, too, are the defensive fronts the Tigers utilize depending on the down and distance.

"My mom told me the other day, 'Umm, looking at this, it lists you as a defensive end.' And I was like, 'Well, I do both,'" Bryant said in the spring.

TRY a VIP membership for FREE

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

No. 9 Noah Igbinoghene, junior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.8969 247Sports Composite; No. 39 wide receiver

Notable: Noah Igbinoghene needed a couple of years to find a home at Auburn, but not many expected the former Hewitt-Trussville receiver to do so at cornerback. He did just that in 2018, and while there were growing pains, it was obvious his superior athleticism, leaping ability and timing allowed for constant improvement throughout his first year as a cornerback. He was picked on by teams early in the schedule, but he made his fair share of plays. He started in nine of 13 games, and had 12 pass breakups and one interception. That lone interception was a big one, keying a comeback against Texas A&M, which led the Tigers by double digits late in the fourth quarter inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"As a defense we had to step up and we had to win the game for the team. That’s what we had to do," he said after the victory.

Igbinoghene is an incredible athlete, starring also in the triple jump for the Auburn track team, and both of his parents were Olympic athletes.

2019 outlook: We believe Igbinoghene has only started to tap into his potential as a lock-down cornerback in the SEC, and should improvements continue to be made, he could be an All-SEC candidate by the end of the season.

Moving from receiver to cornerback is not easy, particularly when he didn't have much preparation heading into preseason camp in August of 2018. And yet Igbinoghene took advantage of the opportunity and turned it into a starting job, where he played alongside future NFL draftee Jamel Dean. Now that Dean is gone, Auburn coaches and players will look Igbinoghene to lead the unit as they also move Javaris Davis from Nickel back to cornerback as a starter.

It's crazy to think that just a year ago Igbinoghene was transitioning to a new position, and now he's looked at as the leader but his athleticism and potential is amazingly high. Should he have a great season, don't be surprised if he's one of the top-testing corners at the NFL Combine and/or Auburn's Pro Day. But first thing is first: he has to continue to improve.

"He played very well last year but it was his first year on defense," defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said. "A lot of it was all new to him and he progressed each game. What you saw this spring was a guy who was very comfortable in what he was expected to do, as well as very comfortable in what we were asking him to do."

No. 8 Anthony Schwartz, sophomore

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9334 247Sports Composite; No. 30 wide receiver

Notable: Expectations were high for receiver Anthony Schwartz when he arrived on campus in 2018. Coaches drooled over his speed. The question: how quickly could he learn the offense and get on the field? The answer: about as fast as the freshman on the track.

He combined for 568 yards (receiving and rushing) and seven touchdowns, and blazed past defenders often when he touched the ball, whether on end-around runs or go routes down the sideline. His nickname of "Flash" quickly caught on at Auburn, where the track star in high school soon became a track phenom in college, too.

The Auburn receiver broke the school's 60-meter dash record for a freshman twice with times of 6.62 seconds and 6.59 seconds at the Clemson Tiger Paw Invitational. He also won a gold medal in the 60-meter dash at the Bob Pollock Invitational in Clemson, South Carolina with a time of 6.65 seconds.

Interestingly, Schwartz would probably tell you he didn't expect any of this coming into his first year in college.

“Honestly, being a freshman, I didn’t think I would see the field a lot," he said in the fall. "I thought I would just be special teams, like most people are across the country. But I came in and they put me in the game plan pretty much as soon as I stepped on the field."

2019 outlook: Anthony Schwartz skipped spring football practices to concentrate on the outdoor track season, which was hamstrung by a hamstring injury in the spring. He returned to football workouts this summer and is projected to be a big contributor for an offense that will utilize him all over the field and in different ways.

Coaches want to move Anthony Schwartz and Seth Williams outside to replace the production of Darius Slayton, the Tigers' top deep threat last season. Slayton declared for the NFL Draft after catching three touchdown passes and recording 160 yards in the Music City Bowl in December. It appears Williams will play more outside, which could open things up for Schwartz this season.

Schwartz had 357 receiving yards and two touchdowns to go along with 211 yards and five rushing touchdowns as a freshman. He will continue to be the fastest threat on the field for the Tigers, but the question is whether the return of Eli Stove from knee surgery will cut into Schwartz' playing time. The thinking here it will not affect his production, and coaches will do everything in their power to use Schwartz on the run and on routes. He might be Auburn's top yards producer on offense this season if coaches legitimately give him as many touches as he probably deserves this upcoming season.

No. 7 JaTarvious Whitlow, sophomore

Recruiting ranking: 3 stars, 0.8667 247Sports Composite; No. 36 athlete

Notable: Boobee Whitlow went from a late offer on the week of national signing day in 2017 to a starting running back in the SEC in a little over one year. Auburn coaches recruited him as a receiver, and it was actually defensive coordinator Kevin Steele who called him up and offered a scholarship late in the process, but life comes at you fast when you're a dynamic athlete with the potential of playing several positions. Whitlow quickly moved from receiver to running back at Auburn, where it quickly became apparent in scout-team practices in 2017 that he might be a special tailback in 2018 and beyond.

Whitlow was an amazing talent in small-town LaFayette, Alabama. He threw for 2,292 yards and 29 touchdowns and rushed for 2,147 yards and 30 more scores as a senior for the Class 2A school in 2016. He did things the head coach there had never seen before, and we're not just talking numbers, but his jukes, squeezing through traffic and turning negative plays into touchdowns. Simply put, his impending success at Auburn wasn't a surprise to those close to him who we spoke to in the spring fo 2017. At the time, Whitlow fully expected to come to Auburn and play immediately at receiver, but he had to sit out a year and then move to running back. The result: a place on the SEC's all-freshman team and ranking third all time among freshmen in Auburn history with 787 rushing yards and eight total touchdowns (six rushing) last season.

He split time with Kam Martin last season, but changes could be on the horizon in 2019.

2019 outlook: Boobee Whitlow exited spring practices as the de facto starter at running back. Coaches may still want to share the carries among Whitlow and Martin, but it's clear Whitlow is the better all-around tailback. One insider tells us they wouldn't be surprised if Whitlow rushes for 1,300 yards this season and that he was the most impressive tailback in the spring, and one that increased his work ethic in the process.

Auburn running back legend Cadillac Williams was hired in the offseason to coach the running backs, and his different style has placed a different set of expectations on the corps of running backs that is as deep as it has been in recent years (Whitlow, Kam Martin, Shaun Shivers, Malik Miller and DJ Williams).

"It’s a whole different kind of coaching, so now it’s kind of just more of us being behind the ball," Whitlow said in the spring. "We ain’t up to the standard yet, but we’re working up to the standard. It’s going to take time. We ain’t going to get it right then as soon as he comes in, but I know just little baby steps. You got to crawl before you walk.”

Whitlow should do more than just walk this upcoming season, he should strut (and run) all over defenses in the SEC, especially behind an offensive line filled stocked with five seniors.

No. 6 Marlon Davidson, senior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9813 247Sports Composite; No. 4 strong side defensive end

Notable: Marlon Davidson was an absolute machine on special teams last season, but he didn't quite hit his own goals at defensive end. He blocked field goals in back-to-back-to-back weeks to finish the season ranked second nationally in blocked kicks. Rushing the quarterback? Well, that was more of an issue as he silently dealt with knee ailments. He had 3.5 sacks, but said he had a chance at 12 sacks upon reviewing film of the season. "I could've been one of the best in the league," he said. If he even hit half of that potential number, he probably wouldn't be back at Auburn for his senior season, he admits.

"If I had gotten four or five sacks, I probably would have leaned toward leaving (for the NFL)," he said. "I probably would have been gone, but not only am I coming back to get those four or five sacks, I'm making sure I leave with a great legacy."

Davidson as had high expectations since his arrival on campus when he became the first freshman to start at defensive end for Auburn in at least 30 years. This season it's time to meet expectations after combining for seven sacks in the last two years.

2019 outlook: The Buck position has become the sexy spot to play for pass rushers in Kevin Steele's defense, but that doesn't mean a player at another position will be left out of the fun. In fact, Davidson should be the type of player to lead the Tigers in sacks and that's what he's aiming to do this upcoming season for defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

"Coach G trusted me enough to play me as a freshman and start every game. I’m going to do right by him," Davidson said. "One of my decisions was to come back and make sure us, as a group, get to the younger guys and make sure that everything goes well after us. You just fulfill your legacy. I’m trying to make sure now that I leave the best legacy that I can — the Marlon Davidson legacy, for people to look at and be like, ‘dang, I want to be like Marlon Davidson one year.’"

Being a four-year starter in the SEC is a difficult mark to reach. Reaching double-digit sack numbers? Well, that would be the perfect capper for Davidson, who will get some help from a defensive line that returns every starter but one from one of the best units in the country last season.

No. 5 Nick Coe, junior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9034 247Sports Composite; No. 13 strong side defensive end

Notable: The next-man-up mentality has never been more true with Kevin Steele's defense than at the Buck pass-rushing position. Nick Coe became the third player to step into the system and excel at the spot, but unlike the others, he is set to return to start for a second straight (healthy) season at the position. Half of Coe's tackles last season were behind the line of scrimmage (13.5) and more than half of those were quarterback sacks (7) in 2018. He sat out the Music City Bowl with an injured hand, which has since healed following surgery, but was extremely effective, particularly in the early- and mid-portion of the season. He was named the SEC's defensive lineman of the week three times last season (the Tigers' victories against Washington, Ole Miss and Texas A&M), and picked up half of his sacks in the victory at Ole Miss with 3.5 sacks for minus-16 yards.

Coe was a championship wrestler in high school, and he credits his fluidity and agility to his days as an amateur wrestler. In fact, big programs were going after him as a wrestler but then college football came calling. Coe believes he could have been a national champion as a wrestler in college.

2019 outlook: There's no reason to believe Nick Coe will be replaced as the starting Buck, but there is a possibility a bulkier Coe could move inside and play more often at defensive tackle. Why? There are some concerns about who replaces Dontavius Russell next to returning starter Derrick Brown at tackle. Coe appears to be the best answer as a potential replacement as Tyrone Truesdell, Coynis Miller and others try to prove themselves as the next starter. The issue: can they play more than 20 snaps per game and be effective? Rotation is everything along the defensive line, but having a dominant tackle (like Brown) in the game in the biggest moments is crucial, and that requires more playing time and proof of work.

It's quite possible Coe's productivity as a pass rusher goes down, but be a more important player than he was a year ago. Why? His flexibility between the tackle and Buck positions could prove huge for the Tigers' defense.

Coe spent the offseason getting stronger and working to better read offensive tackles, something that will help him at Buck and not necessarily at defensive tackle.

"For me, it's not hard to read them at all," Coe said in February. "But it's, like, when they do it with their hands — when I time my stuff up — it's more about timing and then doing the actual technique."

While everyone focuses on the quarterback battle and who will step up at receiver, let's not forget about Coe and what role he will play on defense this season.

No. 4 Bo Nix, quarterback

Recruiting ranking: 5 stars, 0.9857 247Sports Composite; No. 1 dual-threat quarterback

Notable: Name a football accolade you can win in the state of Alabama, and Bo Nix likely has that award sitting on his shelf.

The newcomer at quarterback broke numerous records while leading Pinson Valley High to back-to-back state titles with his father, Auburn legend Patrick Nix, as the head coach. He had more than 12,000 total yards of offense in his career and recorded 161 total touchdowns, including 127 scores through the air. He earned practically every in-state award you can imagine while also earning a 5-star rating from the 247Sports Composite and the state of Alabama's Mr. Football.

Nix arrived at Auburn in January as an early enrollee and participated in offseason workouts and spring practices. He threw for 155 yards and two touchdowns on 11 of 17 passing at the A-Day spring game, but also threw an interception in the second half.

“You know, he’s earned it," Malzahn said. "We went into spring with a very open mind and wanted to put in a lot of different scenarios and situations. So, he’s earned it, as well has Joey Gatewood. He really improved from the fall, and both those guys were very desperate to win the position. That’s really what stood out to our coaches.”

2019 outlook: The battle for the starting job between Nix and redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood will begin in earnest Aug. 2, when preseason camp opens at Auburn. The work preparing for the battle started seven months ago, however. For Nix's part, he worked to gain strength and add muscle to his freshman frame. He is listed at 207 pounds on the roster, but we're told at Auburn Undercover he is tipping the scales at 215 pounds after a strong offseason of workouts.

Nix and Gatewood are both dual-threat quarterbacks, with much different statures and styles. Nix (6-2, 215) is a pocket passer, but can run zone-read plays to the outside much like Jarrett Stidham did during the previous two seasons. The difference? Nix is faster, though no one will confuse his quickness for that of former Auburn speedster Nick Marshall. Gatewood is bigger at 6-foot-5 and 233 pounds and can run inside more often to pick up third-and-short downs.

Auburn coaches have not ruled out the possibility of entering the season opener Aug. 31 with a plan to play both quarterbacks against Oregon. In fact, at this point, that's the expectation. Gatewood has a tad more experience and a bigger frame. Nix might have the better arm.

"The more reps they get, obviously the better they’re going to be," Malzahn said in the spring. "But they showed that they can lead our offense and both of them have a chance to be a very successful quarterback here at Auburn."

No. 3 Joey Gatewood, quarterback

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9759 247Sports Composite; No. 1 athlete

Notable: Joey Gatewood or Bo Nix will be Auburn’s starting quarterback when the season opens Aug. 31 against Oregon in Arlington, Texas.

As mentioned previously in our countdown (Nix was No. 4 on the MIT list), the two quarterbacks are opposites on the physical scale. Gatewood is taller and thicker at 6-foot-5 and 233 pounds. He also draws comparisons to Auburn legend Cam Newton from his own teammates at Auburn, which he doesn’t much like to hear, by the way. He loves contact and could be a huge asset running the ball on busted plays.

Gatewood arrived at Auburn with incredible numbers from high school, even though he shared playing time at Bartram Trail in St. Augustine, Florida as a senior. He still managed to pass for 1,468 yards and 12 touchdowns while also running for 1,100 yards and 16 touchdowns.

He split reps with Riley Smith, who went on to sign with Boise State. They rotated series evenly, and the coaches never deviated from that plan, even when one quarterback may have been playing better than the other during the game. Smith was a 3-star quarterback and redshirted last season as a freshman.

One more thing you might know about Gatewood: he was a sprinter on the high school track team.

Gatewood was able to maintain his redshirt status by appearing in extended action in only one game: the Tigers’ 63-14 blowout of Purdue in the Music City Bowl. He rushed for 28 yards on three carries, including a 20-yard scamper that nearly ended with a touchdown.

2019 outlook: If Gatewood does not win the starting job, the redshirt freshman will likely play in the opener in a package. That’s our expectation, at least.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn’s eyes light up whenever he discusses Gatewood’s ability to run over linebackers and pick up three yards when nothing seems to be there. "When you let him go live," said Malzahn, "there’s a big difference." He also did well throwing the ball in Auburn’s A-Day game, something his high school coach (Darrell Sutherland) and private coach (Denny Thompson), tells us is extremely underrated and not talked about enough when analysts dissect Gatewood’s performances.

Gatewood threw for 130 yards and two touchdowns on 8 of 12 passing at the A-Day game, which included seven completions, 123 yards and two scores in the first half. He rushed only once for 1 yard because of the restrictions placed on the quarterbacks, who were not allowed to be tackled by defenders.

"I’m telling you," receiver Seth Williams said. "He’s another Cam Newton back there. Once he gets live, he turns into a whole other person. Like, you couldn’t see it for real with this spring, with the scrimmage, the QBs not live — but once they’re live, I don’t think, [the defense] can’t get back there."

Gatewood’s huge build and fire power as a runner and thrower, along with a one-year jump of experience on Nix, might be enough to tempt coaches to hand the reins of the offense over to the big man.

“I’m not going to sit here and lie to you," said receiver Matthew Hill. "He doesn't like being compared to Cam Newton, but that's just the only person you can compare him to."

No. 2 Prince Tega Wanogho Jr., senior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.4981 247Sports Composite; No. 4 strong side defensive end

Notable: Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. started all 13 games at left tackle in 2018 and explored leaving Auburn early for the NFL, but opted to return to school for his senior season.

Wanogho's journey from Nigeria to America, and his change in passions has been quite the success story. He came to the United States of America from his home country of Nigeria in 2014 with the dream of playing in the NBA. The 6-foot-7 player certainly had the height, but then he enrolled at Edgewood Academy in Elmore, Alabama and started playing football. He was a star on defense rushing the passer, gained notoriety in recruiting circles and signed with Auburn as a defensive prospect. Then he moved to offensive tackle, where he has played the last three seasons and has started the bulk of the last two seasons.

2019 outlook: Wanogho was projected as a late-round prospect in the 2019 draft, but should he play how offensive line coach J.B. Grimes believes he is capable as a senior, his stock will soar this fall.

“You know what I mean by one of them? He can be one of them, with improvement this year, and I see him really, really having a big year this year if he can stay healthy," Grimes said. "I think he can be one of them, one of those guys on the first day.”

Should Wanogho Jr. be selected in the first round, he'll be the first left tackle from Auburn in the first round since Greg Robinson in 2014, yet another player under Grimes.

Is he capable of reaching that level? Scouts certainly love his size and improvement last season, particularly near the end of the season. He earned the highest grade, regardless of position, in the Tigers' 63-14 victory against Purdue in the Music City Bowl, according to Pro Football Focus.

Auburn returns all five starters (all seniors) along the offensive line, but Wanogho Jr. is easily the best player. He's dominant, consistent and has yet to reach his potential. He not only is the best player on offense entering the fall, he probably also has the longest NFL career among his teammates with a great senior year at Auburn. He's a left tackle an NFL team could build its offense around and block the blind side of its quarterback.

No. 1 Derrick Brown, senior

Recruiting ranking: 5 stars, 0.9964 247Sports Composite; No. 4 defensive tackle

Notable: Derrick Brown contemplated an early jump to the NFL Draft, but ultimately returned to Auburn for his senior season. I twas quite the welcomed surprise for the Tigers. Brown was projected as a first-round prospect by analysts, and also received feedback from the NFL labeling him as a first-round pick. Still, with a new son in his life, Brown decided to return to Auburn for his senior season. Why? To win a championship, earn his bachelor's degree and set an example for his son and follow in the footsteps of his determined parents.

Brown had 48 tackles, including 10.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks, last season and earned second team all-SEC honors from the coaches and Associated Press.

He enters this upcoming season on the media's preseason All-SEC list as a first-team member.

1COMMENTS

2019 outlook: Auburn returns all but one starter along the defensive line, and that spot is next to Brown at tackle. There will be more pressure on Brown to perform because coaches are not quite sure who will replace Dontavius Russell, who demanded plenty of attention next to Brown throughout Brown's career as a starter. Simply put, Brown will get more attention this upcoming season from offensive linemen as Auburn tries to figure out what to do at the other tackle spots.

“There’s a lot of talk about us being the top-rated group, but I mean, we’re going to go in there every single day and work like we’re last place in what we do," Brown said. "If you don’t, if you’re in first place and you don’t work hard, there’s only one way to go. If you’re already at the top, the only thing you’re going to do is go down at that point. We’re just going forward and being humble about it and have no attitude about it. Push forward.”

Brown is the best NFL Draft prospect on the roster, and could be a top-5 pick, which is something Brown strives to achieve with yet another strong season. He demands double teams and distracts opposing coaches as they devise game plans, and that's all you can ask for from a player.

Off the field, Brown has been the model student-athlete in the classroom and with charities. He even volunteers to help coach at camps across the country, along with speaking across the country at events, including an event at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis in the spring.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn's 10 Most Important Tigers

By Brandon Marcello

Auburn Undercover editor Brandon Marcello takes a look at the roster and ranks the top 50 players on the team entering the 2019 season. Think of it as a breakdown of each player and an extended preview of the upcoming season.

Today we recap the top 10 players on the list of Most Important Tigers before the team takes the field and begins practicing for the upcoming season.

No. 10 Big Kat Bryant, junior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9238 247Sports Composite; No. 14 weakside defensive end

Notable: Big Kat Bryant spent most of the 2018 season as Nick Coe’s backup at the Buck pass rusher position, though he did start in three games, including two of the final three. He started in the Music City Bowl as Coe nursed a surgically-repaired right wrist, and Bryant certainly did not disappoint in extended action.

The then-sophomore returned an interception 20 yards for a touchdown in the Tigers’ 63-14 demolition of Purdue in the Music City Bowl.

He had only 18 tackles in 12 games, but he was extremely productive during his time on the field. He accumulated four tackles for loss, forced a fumble and had 3.5 sacks, including a contribution on a sack in the Music City Bowl.

2019 outlook: Nick Coe is projected to be the Tigers’ starter at Buck this fall after finishing with a team-high seven sacks to go along with his 27 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries, but questions at the defensive tackle position may change those plans and open the door for Bryant to possibly start or at least play more often at Buck.

Coe will play inside and outside this upcoming season, and Bryant knows there is a window of opportunity in the fall to become a star player at the most coveted position on Auburn's defensive roster should Coe play more inside next to Derrick Brown at tackle than at Buck. Bryant had two goals in the offseason: get stronger and faster. It's a common approach and utterance, sure, and Bryant admitted as much when he talked about adding muscle, but there is more to it than just listing a few superlatives.

"That'll help people take their game to the next level, but me, it's been my get-off. That's something I've really been trying to get better at," he said. "I watched a lot of my film from last year; that's something I've been trying to get better at. I think my get-off was OK, but I'm trying to get better at it. [Defensive line coach Rodney Garner] tells me all the time that's something that will get you paid. And my hand placement, that's something else."

Bryant could be a gamble in the top 10 of our Most Important Tigers, but with Coe potentially moving inside, you're probably going to see more of the Big Kat this fall, even if it means working some at defensive end. He's versatile, after all, and so, too, are the defensive fronts the Tigers utilize depending on the down and distance.

"My mom told me the other day, 'Umm, looking at this, it lists you as a defensive end.' And I was like, 'Well, I do both,'" Bryant said in the spring.

No. 9 Noah Igbinoghene, junior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.8969 247Sports Composite; No. 39 wide receiver

Notable: Noah Igbinoghene needed a couple of years to find a home at Auburn, but not many expected the former Hewitt-Trussville receiver to do so at cornerback. He did just that in 2018, and while there were growing pains, it was obvious his superior athleticism, leaping ability and timing allowed for constant improvement throughout his first year as a cornerback. He was picked on by teams early in the schedule, but he made his fair share of plays. He started in nine of 13 games, and had 12 pass breakups and one interception. That lone interception was a big one, keying a comeback against Texas A&M, which led the Tigers by double digits late in the fourth quarter inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"As a defense we had to step up and we had to win the game for the team. That’s what we had to do," he said after the victory.

Igbinoghene is an incredible athlete, starring also in the triple jump for the Auburn track team, and both of his parents were Olympic athletes.

2019 outlook: We believe Igbinoghene has only started to tap into his potential as a lock-down cornerback in the SEC, and should improvements continue to be made, he could be an All-SEC candidate by the end of the season.

Moving from receiver to cornerback is not easy, particularly when he didn't have much preparation heading into preseason camp in August of 2018. And yet Igbinoghene took advantage of the opportunity and turned it into a starting job, where he played alongside future NFL draftee Jamel Dean. Now that Dean is gone, Auburn coaches and players will look Igbinoghene to lead the unit as they also move Javaris Davis from Nickel back to cornerback as a starter.

It's crazy to think that just a year ago Igbinoghene was transitioning to a new position, and now he's looked at as the leader but his athleticism and potential is amazingly high. Should he have a great season, don't be surprised if he's one of the top-testing corners at the NFL Combine and/or Auburn's Pro Day. But first thing is first: he has to continue to improve.

"He played very well last year but it was his first year on defense," defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said. "A lot of it was all new to him and he progressed each game. What you saw this spring was a guy who was very comfortable in what he was expected to do, as well as very comfortable in what we were asking him to do."

No. 8 Anthony Schwartz, sophomore

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9334 247Sports Composite; No. 30 wide receiver

Notable: Expectations were high for receiver Anthony Schwartz when he arrived on campus in 2018. Coaches drooled over his speed. The question: how quickly could he learn the offense and get on the field? The answer: about as fast as the freshman on the track.

He combined for 568 yards (receiving and rushing) and seven touchdowns, and blazed past defenders often when he touched the ball, whether on end-around runs or go routes down the sideline. His nickname of "Flash" quickly caught on at Auburn, where the track star in high school soon became a track phenom in college, too.

The Auburn receiver broke the school's 60-meter dash record for a freshman twice with times of 6.62 seconds and 6.59 seconds at the Clemson Tiger Paw Invitational. He also won a gold medal in the 60-meter dash at the Bob Pollock Invitational in Clemson, South Carolina with a time of 6.65 seconds.

Interestingly, Schwartz would probably tell you he didn't expect any of this coming into his first year in college.

“Honestly, being a freshman, I didn’t think I would see the field a lot," he said in the fall. "I thought I would just be special teams, like most people are across the country. But I came in and they put me in the game plan pretty much as soon as I stepped on the field."

2019 outlook: Anthony Schwartz skipped spring football practices to concentrate on the outdoor track season, which was hamstrung by a hamstring injury in the spring. He returned to football workouts this summer and is projected to be a big contributor for an offense that will utilize him all over the field and in different ways.

Coaches want to move Anthony Schwartz and Seth Williams outside to replace the production of Darius Slayton, the Tigers' top deep threat last season. Slayton declared for the NFL Draft after catching three touchdown passes and recording 160 yards in the Music City Bowl in December. It appears Williams will play more outside, which could open things up for Schwartz this season.

Schwartz had 357 receiving yards and two touchdowns to go along with 211 yards and five rushing touchdowns as a freshman. He will continue to be the fastest threat on the field for the Tigers, but the question is whether the return of Eli Stove from knee surgery will cut into Schwartz' playing time. The thinking here it will not affect his production, and coaches will do everything in their power to use Schwartz on the run and on routes. He might be Auburn's top yards producer on offense this season if coaches legitimately give him as many touches as he probably deserves this upcoming season.

No. 7 JaTarvious Whitlow, sophomore

Recruiting ranking: 3 stars, 0.8667 247Sports Composite; No. 36 athlete

Notable: Boobee Whitlow went from a late offer on the week of national signing day in 2017 to a starting running back in the SEC in a little over one year. Auburn coaches recruited him as a receiver, and it was actually defensive coordinator Kevin Steele who called him up and offered a scholarship late in the process, but life comes at you fast when you're a dynamic athlete with the potential of playing several positions. Whitlow quickly moved from receiver to running back at Auburn, where it quickly became apparent in scout-team practices in 2017 that he might be a special tailback in 2018 and beyond.

Whitlow was an amazing talent in small-town LaFayette, Alabama. He threw for 2,292 yards and 29 touchdowns and rushed for 2,147 yards and 30 more scores as a senior for the Class 2A school in 2016. He did things the head coach there had never seen before, and we're not just talking numbers, but his jukes, squeezing through traffic and turning negative plays into touchdowns. Simply put, his impending success at Auburn wasn't a surprise to those close to him who we spoke to in the spring fo 2017. At the time, Whitlow fully expected to come to Auburn and play immediately at receiver, but he had to sit out a year and then move to running back. The result: a place on the SEC's all-freshman team and ranking third all time among freshmen in Auburn history with 787 rushing yards and eight total touchdowns (six rushing) last season.

He split time with Kam Martin last season, but changes could be on the horizon in 2019.

2019 outlook: Boobee Whitlow exited spring practices as the de facto starter at running back. Coaches may still want to share the carries among Whitlow and Martin, but it's clear Whitlow is the better all-around tailback. One insider tells us they wouldn't be surprised if Whitlow rushes for 1,300 yards this season and that he was the most impressive tailback in the spring, and one that increased his work ethic in the process.

Auburn running back legend Cadillac Williams was hired in the offseason to coach the running backs, and his different style has placed a different set of expectations on the corps of running backs that is as deep as it has been in recent years (Whitlow, Kam Martin, Shaun Shivers, Malik Miller and DJ Williams).

"It’s a whole different kind of coaching, so now it’s kind of just more of us being behind the ball," Whitlow said in the spring. "We ain’t up to the standard yet, but we’re working up to the standard. It’s going to take time. We ain’t going to get it right then as soon as he comes in, but I know just little baby steps. You got to crawl before you walk.”

Whitlow should do more than just walk this upcoming season, he should strut (and run) all over defenses in the SEC, especially behind an offensive line filled stocked with five seniors.

No. 6 Marlon Davidson, senior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9813 247Sports Composite; No. 4 strong side defensive end

Notable: Marlon Davidson was an absolute machine on special teams last season, but he didn't quite hit his own goals at defensive end. He blocked field goals in back-to-back-to-back weeks to finish the season ranked second nationally in blocked kicks. Rushing the quarterback? Well, that was more of an issue as he silently dealt with knee ailments. He had 3.5 sacks, but said he had a chance at 12 sacks upon reviewing film of the season. "I could've been one of the best in the league," he said. If he even hit half of that potential number, he probably wouldn't be back at Auburn for his senior season, he admits.

"If I had gotten four or five sacks, I probably would have leaned toward leaving (for the NFL)," he said. "I probably would have been gone, but not only am I coming back to get those four or five sacks, I'm making sure I leave with a great legacy."

Davidson as had high expectations since his arrival on campus when he became the first freshman to start at defensive end for Auburn in at least 30 years. This season it's time to meet expectations after combining for seven sacks in the last two years.

2019 outlook: The Buck position has become the sexy spot to play for pass rushers in Kevin Steele's defense, but that doesn't mean a player at another position will be left out of the fun. In fact, Davidson should be the type of player to lead the Tigers in sacks and that's what he's aiming to do this upcoming season for defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

"Coach G trusted me enough to play me as a freshman and start every game. I’m going to do right by him," Davidson said. "One of my decisions was to come back and make sure us, as a group, get to the younger guys and make sure that everything goes well after us. You just fulfill your legacy. I’m trying to make sure now that I leave the best legacy that I can — the Marlon Davidson legacy, for people to look at and be like, ‘dang, I want to be like Marlon Davidson one year.’"

Being a four-year starter in the SEC is a difficult mark to reach. Reaching double-digit sack numbers? Well, that would be the perfect capper for Davidson, who will get some help from a defensive line that returns every starter but one from one of the best units in the country last season.

No. 5 Nick Coe, junior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9034 247Sports Composite; No. 13 strong side defensive end

Notable: The next-man-up mentality has never been more true with Kevin Steele's defense than at the Buck pass-rushing position. Nick Coe became the third player to step into the system and excel at the spot, but unlike the others, he is set to return to start for a second straight (healthy) season at the position. Half of Coe's tackles last season were behind the line of scrimmage (13.5) and more than half of those were quarterback sacks (7) in 2018. He sat out the Music City Bowl with an injured hand, which has since healed following surgery, but was extremely effective, particularly in the early- and mid-portion of the season. He was named the SEC's defensive lineman of the week three times last season (the Tigers' victories against Washington, Ole Miss and Texas A&M), and picked up half of his sacks in the victory at Ole Miss with 3.5 sacks for minus-16 yards.

Coe was a championship wrestler in high school, and he credits his fluidity and agility to his days as an amateur wrestler. In fact, big programs were going after him as a wrestler but then college football came calling. Coe believes he could have been a national champion as a wrestler in college.

2019 outlook: There's no reason to believe Nick Coe will be replaced as the starting Buck, but there is a possibility a bulkier Coe could move inside and play more often at defensive tackle. Why? There are some concerns about who replaces Dontavius Russell next to returning starter Derrick Brown at tackle. Coe appears to be the best answer as a potential replacement as Tyrone Truesdell, Coynis Miller and others try to prove themselves as the next starter. The issue: can they play more than 20 snaps per game and be effective? Rotation is everything along the defensive line, but having a dominant tackle (like Brown) in the game in the biggest moments is crucial, and that requires more playing time and proof of work.

It's quite possible Coe's productivity as a pass rusher goes down, but be a more important player than he was a year ago. Why? His flexibility between the tackle and Buck positions could prove huge for the Tigers' defense.

Coe spent the offseason getting stronger and working to better read offensive tackles, something that will help him at Buck and not necessarily at defensive tackle.

"For me, it's not hard to read them at all," Coe said in February. "But it's, like, when they do it with their hands — when I time my stuff up — it's more about timing and then doing the actual technique."

While everyone focuses on the quarterback battle and who will step up at receiver, let's not forget about Coe and what role he will play on defense this season.

No. 4 Bo Nix, quarterback

Recruiting ranking: 5 stars, 0.9857 247Sports Composite; No. 1 dual-threat quarterback

Notable: Name a football accolade you can win in the state of Alabama, and Bo Nix likely has that award sitting on his shelf.

The newcomer at quarterback broke numerous records while leading Pinson Valley High to back-to-back state titles with his father, Auburn legend Patrick Nix, as the head coach. He had more than 12,000 total yards of offense in his career and recorded 161 total touchdowns, including 127 scores through the air. He earned practically every in-state award you can imagine while also earning a 5-star rating from the 247Sports Composite and the state of Alabama's Mr. Football.

Nix arrived at Auburn in January as an early enrollee and participated in offseason workouts and spring practices. He threw for 155 yards and two touchdowns on 11 of 17 passing at the A-Day spring game, but also threw an interception in the second half.

“You know, he’s earned it," Malzahn said. "We went into spring with a very open mind and wanted to put in a lot of different scenarios and situations. So, he’s earned it, as well has Joey Gatewood. He really improved from the fall, and both those guys were very desperate to win the position. That’s really what stood out to our coaches.”

2019 outlook: The battle for the starting job between Nix and redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood will begin in earnest Aug. 2, when preseason camp opens at Auburn. The work preparing for the battle started seven months ago, however. For Nix's part, he worked to gain strength and add muscle to his freshman frame. He is listed at 207 pounds on the roster, but we're told at Auburn Undercover he is tipping the scales at 215 pounds after a strong offseason of workouts.

Nix and Gatewood are both dual-threat quarterbacks, with much different statures and styles. Nix (6-2, 215) is a pocket passer, but can run zone-read plays to the outside much like Jarrett Stidham did during the previous two seasons. The difference? Nix is faster, though no one will confuse his quickness for that of former Auburn speedster Nick Marshall. Gatewood is bigger at 6-foot-5 and 233 pounds and can run inside more often to pick up third-and-short downs.

Auburn coaches have not ruled out the possibility of entering the season opener Aug. 31 with a plan to play both quarterbacks against Oregon. In fact, at this point, that's the expectation. Gatewood has a tad more experience and a bigger frame. Nix might have the better arm.

"The more reps they get, obviously the better they’re going to be," Malzahn said in the spring. "But they showed that they can lead our offense and both of them have a chance to be a very successful quarterback here at Auburn."

No. 3 Joey Gatewood, quarterback

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.9759 247Sports Composite; No. 1 athlete

Notable: Joey Gatewood or Bo Nix will be Auburn’s starting quarterback when the season opens Aug. 31 against Oregon in Arlington, Texas.

As mentioned previously in our countdown (Nix was No. 4 on the MIT list), the two quarterbacks are opposites on the physical scale. Gatewood is taller and thicker at 6-foot-5 and 233 pounds. He also draws comparisons to Auburn legend Cam Newton from his own teammates at Auburn, which he doesn’t much like to hear, by the way. He loves contact and could be a huge asset running the ball on busted plays.

Gatewood arrived at Auburn with incredible numbers from high school, even though he shared playing time at Bartram Trail in St. Augustine, Florida as a senior. He still managed to pass for 1,468 yards and 12 touchdowns while also running for 1,100 yards and 16 touchdowns.

He split reps with Riley Smith, who went on to sign with Boise State. They rotated series evenly, and the coaches never deviated from that plan, even when one quarterback may have been playing better than the other during the game. Smith was a 3-star quarterback and redshirted last season as a freshman.

One more thing you might know about Gatewood: he was a sprinter on the high school track team.

Gatewood was able to maintain his redshirt status by appearing in extended action in only one game: the Tigers’ 63-14 blowout of Purdue in the Music City Bowl. He rushed for 28 yards on three carries, including a 20-yard scamper that nearly ended with a touchdown.

2019 outlook: If Gatewood does not win the starting job, the redshirt freshman will likely play in the opener in a package. That’s our expectation, at least.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn’s eyes light up whenever he discusses Gatewood’s ability to run over linebackers and pick up three yards when nothing seems to be there. "When you let him go live," said Malzahn, "there’s a big difference." He also did well throwing the ball in Auburn’s A-Day game, something his high school coach (Darrell Sutherland) and private coach (Denny Thompson), tells us is extremely underrated and not talked about enough when analysts dissect Gatewood’s performances.

Gatewood threw for 130 yards and two touchdowns on 8 of 12 passing at the A-Day game, which included seven completions, 123 yards and two scores in the first half. He rushed only once for 1 yard because of the restrictions placed on the quarterbacks, who were not allowed to be tackled by defenders.

"I’m telling you," receiver Seth Williams said. "He’s another Cam Newton back there. Once he gets live, he turns into a whole other person. Like, you couldn’t see it for real with this spring, with the scrimmage, the QBs not live — but once they’re live, I don’t think, [the defense] can’t get back there."

Gatewood’s huge build and fire power as a runner and thrower, along with a one-year jump of experience on Nix, might be enough to tempt coaches to hand the reins of the offense over to the big man.

“I’m not going to sit here and lie to you," said receiver Matthew Hill. "He doesn't like being compared to Cam Newton, but that's just the only person you can compare him to."

No. 2 Prince Tega Wanogho Jr., senior

Recruiting ranking: 4 stars, 0.4981 247Sports Composite; No. 4 strong side defensive end

Notable: Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. started all 13 games at left tackle in 2018 and explored leaving Auburn early for the NFL, but opted to return to school for his senior season.

Wanogho's journey from Nigeria to America, and his change in passions has been quite the success story. He came to the United States of America from his home country of Nigeria in 2014 with the dream of playing in the NBA. The 6-foot-7 player certainly had the height, but then he enrolled at Edgewood Academy in Elmore, Alabama and started playing football. He was a star on defense rushing the passer, gained notoriety in recruiting circles and signed with Auburn as a defensive prospect. Then he moved to offensive tackle, where he has played the last three seasons and has started the bulk of the last two seasons.

2019 outlook: Wanogho was projected as a late-round prospect in the 2019 draft, but should he play how offensive line coach J.B. Grimes believes he is capable as a senior, his stock will soar this fall.

“You know what I mean by one of them? He can be one of them, with improvement this year, and I see him really, really having a big year this year if he can stay healthy," Grimes said. "I think he can be one of them, one of those guys on the first day.”

Should Wanogho Jr. be selected in the first round, he'll be the first left tackle from Auburn in the first round since Greg Robinson in 2014, yet another player under Grimes.

Is he capable of reaching that level? Scouts certainly love his size and improvement last season, particularly near the end of the season. He earned the highest grade, regardless of position, in the Tigers' 63-14 victory against Purdue in the Music City Bowl, according to Pro Football Focus.

Auburn returns all five starters (all seniors) along the offensive line, but Wanogho Jr. is easily the best player. He's dominant, consistent and has yet to reach his potential. He not only is the best player on offense entering the fall, he probably also has the longest NFL career among his teammates with a great senior year at Auburn. He's a left tackle an NFL team could build its offense around and block the blind side of its quarterback.

No. 1 Derrick Brown, senior

Recruiting ranking: 5 stars, 0.9964 247Sports Composite; No. 4 defensive tackle

Notable: Derrick Brown contemplated an early jump to the NFL Draft, but ultimately returned to Auburn for his senior season. I twas quite the welcomed surprise for the Tigers. Brown was projected as a first-round prospect by analysts, and also received feedback from the NFL labeling him as a first-round pick. Still, with a new son in his life, Brown decided to return to Auburn for his senior season. Why? To win a championship, earn his bachelor's degree and set an example for his son and follow in the footsteps of his determined parents.

Brown had 48 tackles, including 10.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks, last season and earned second team all-SEC honors from the coaches and Associated Press.

He enters this upcoming season on the media's preseason All-SEC list as a first-team member.

2019 outlook: Auburn returns all but one starter along the defensive line, and that spot is next to Brown at tackle. There will be more pressure on Brown to perform because coaches are not quite sure who will replace Dontavius Russell, who demanded plenty of attention next to Brown throughout Brown's career as a starter. Simply put, Brown will get more attention this upcoming season from offensive linemen as Auburn tries to figure out what to do at the other tackle spots.

“There’s a lot of talk about us being the top-rated group, but I mean, we’re going to go in there every single day and work like we’re last place in what we do," Brown said. "If you don’t, if you’re in first place and you don’t work hard, there’s only one way to go. If you’re already at the top, the only thing you’re going to do is go down at that point. We’re just going forward and being humble about it and have no attitude about it. Push forward.”

Brown is the best NFL Draft prospect on the roster, and could be a top-5 pick, which is something Brown strives to achieve with yet another strong season. He demands double teams and distracts opposing coaches as they devise game plans, and that's all you can ask for from a player.

Off the field, Brown has been the model student-athlete in the classroom and with charities. He even volunteers to help coach at camps across the country, along with speaking across the country at events, including an event at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis in the spring.

Added some formatting to make it a little easier to read. 

Archived