HOOVER, Alabama — Cadillac Williams watched film of Boobee Whitlow in the offseason, and he grew frustrated.

He wasn’t mad. He just saw so much untapped potential. The Auburn legend and newly-hired running backs coach knew so much more was possible for Whitlow to achieve on the field in 2018. The first-year player at running back wasn’t patient as a runner and he didn’t quite utilize the correct technique.

“He was so fast on zone-read, gap-reads where he didn’t let the blocking scheme up front develop,” Williams said Thursday before a speaking engagement at the Greater Birmingham Auburn Club. “This spring I feel like Boobee, from watching him from last year to me being able to coach him in spring ball, think he’s grown as an individual, as a player and I think he better understands our offense and what it takes to be a successful running back.”

Whitlow finished with 787 rushing yards and eight touchdowns, including six rushing scores, after moving from receiver to running back. The nearby LaFayette native played quarterback in high school, so playing running back in the SEC was the ultimate crash course in learning the position.

So, when a man like Williams, an Auburn legend and former first-round draft pick at running back, watches the film and sees the potential of what Williams can provide, it’s easy to understand the frustration.

“A guy who has never played the running position, his ceiling is so high,” Williams said. “I see so much growth. From watching his film, he left so many yards on the field last year and that’s just him not knowing any better — just hitting it and going off pure talent. Once he understands the position — and he had a heck of a spring slowing himself down and patient — and being dependable and taking care of the little things, I think Boobee can be one of the better ‘backs around the country.”

An Auburn tailback failed to record a 1,000-yard season for the first time in 10 years in 2018. The meeting room at Auburn is motivated to start a new streak. The man most likely to hit that mark is Whitlow, who finished the 2018 season as the primary tailback, though Kam Martin, D.J. Williams and Shaun Shivers will play, too.