Dee Ford nfl ‘Top 100 Players’

aubiefifty

Dee Ford makes debut in annual ‘Top 100 Players’

Posted Jul 25, 10:36 PM

Getty Images

Kansas City Chiefs outside linebacker Dee Ford causes Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton to fumble while making a sack during an NFL game on Oct. 21, 2018, at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. (Photo by David Eulitt/Getty Images)

0 shares

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

After earning his first Pro Bowl invitation in 2018, Dee Ford’s offseason has included a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs to the San Francisco 49ers, a new five-year, $85.5 million contract and his first appearance on the “Top100 Players” list.

The former St. Clair County High School and Auburn standout came in at No. 67 in the “Top 100 Players of 2019,” which was selected by the league’s players.

NFL Network has provided the poll annually since 2011 and revealed the players ranked 61st through 70th on the "Top 100 Players of 2019" on Thursday night. NFL Network is revealing the "Top 100 Players of 2019" daily in 10-player increments at 8 p.m. CDT.

In his fifth NFL campaign, Ford made 55 tackles, recorded 13 sacks, registered 29 quarterback hits and forced seven fumbles. He tied for the league lead in forced fumbles and ranked fifth in quarterback hits and seventh in sacks.

Ford helped the Chiefs reach the AFC championship game. Unfortunately for the pass rusher and Kansas City, his penalty -- a neutral-zone infraction -- nullified a Chiefs’ interception with 54 seconds to play. With another chance, the New England Patriots scored a touchdown with 39 seconds left to post a 31-28 victory and earn a spot in Super Bowl LIII.

Kansas City used its franchise tag on Ford, then traded him to the 49ers on March 12 for a second-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft.

An outside linebacker for the Chiefs, Ford will line up at defensive end for San Francisco.

Ford became the fifth player with Alabama football roots in this year’s Top 100. Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry (Alabama) ranked 99th, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (Auburn) 87th, Ravens running back Mark Ingram (Alabama) 80th and New York Jets inside linebacker C.J. Mosley (Theodore, Alabama) 71st.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Browns say: Don't mess with Devaroe Lawrence

Cleveland's players say former Auburn standouts Devaroe Lawrence and Greg Robinson have special talents.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

We need 2-3 of him on the defense every season.  I'm glad he's showing out in the NFL and hope he has a long career wreaking havoc.

• WarTiger changed the title to Dee Ford nfl ‘Top 100 Players’
41 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We need 2-3 of him on the defense every season.  I'm glad he's showing out in the NFL and hope he has a long career wreaking havoc.

Are we suuuuuuuuure Jibunor can't come back? :(

We've got 2-3 guys who should be able to give us something, but should doesn't mean jack unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Are we suuuuuuuuure Jibunor can't come back? :(

We've got 2-3 guys who should be able to give us something, but should doesn't mean jack unfortunately. 

It's one of my biggest concerns on D this season along with safety.

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It's one of my biggest concerns on D this season along with safety.

Agree. And it's a shame because with the talent and depth we have elsewhere on that line, it should just be a matter of cleanup on aisle QB for that position a lot of the time. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. And it's a shame because with the talent and depth we have elsewhere on that line, it should just be a matter of cleanup on aisle QB for that position a lot of the time. 

Holland was missed.

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Holland was missed.

Agreed.

He took a big step before his last season. Hoping Moultry and/or Bryant can, also. 

If I remember correctly Dee weighed about 210 when he was a freshman. It took a while to build and develop him. He still over ran several plays even as a senior. Good to see him getting paid. 

Good to see Dee getting the recognition. He is the only player that I know of from my high school that has made it to the pros in anything. I watched him play against my son's HS when my son was playing. It's been fun watching him develop. 

I love Dee Ford. Unfortunately the common fan only knows him from jumping off sides against the patriots .

7 hours ago, alexava said:

If I remember correctly Dee weighed about 210 when he was a freshman. It took a while to build and develop him. He still over ran several plays even as a senior. Good to see him getting paid. 

There were stories of him sweet talking security guards at the gym into letting him in after hours. Legendary gym rat.

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I love Dee Ford. Unfortunately the common fan only knows him from jumping off sides against the patriots .

Unfortunately I’ll never forget it. I was pulling hard. PM is my new favorite qb.... after Cam. 

Archived