1,000-yard rusher streak snapped a blow to the OL

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, and last year wasn't a product of "running back by committee". It was a product of no blocking. 

Hopefully we finally see this season what it looks like when 2 RBs and a QB all get over 75 touches and none of them get more than 225. (Were the QB somebody else, I'd say 3 RBs instead.)

This right here.  You can have Bo back there in his prime and it won't matter if the line fails to block anyone on a consistent basis.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Fortunately I think DJ Williams is really going to surprise many this year.  I have been really impressed by him.  Another player many have forgotten is Joiner.  I would not be surprised to see him in many plays with another running back due to how he is planning to be used this year.  I actually liked Joiner better as the wildcat than Whitlow.

DJ Williams seems like a beast on the surface. This is going to make me sound like a hater but there is something about Whitlow that just doesn’t make me feel like he can transition to a premier RB. I want to see more shivers too. He could be our Darren Sproles. Would like to see how his hands are out of the backfield. 

Boobie provided us our best running game when you factor in who we were playing and when the game happened (LSU) 

Maybe he isn’t a competitor for best back in conference but outside of the fumbles I think he did great. Kinda like a big Tre Mason, with comparable speed. 

How did we beat A&M last year you ask? Jimbo out-Gussed Gus. It doesn't happen often. 

Well, that and Iggy made a late heads-up play for the pick.

21 hours ago, alexava said:

You just pissed all the Worm fans off. 

I love the Worm.  He has the heart of a lion.  That does not mean he could play left tackle though.  Worm is awesome using his speed and quickness as a change of pace RB.  I would not like to force him to have to carry the ball 25 times a game in the SEC.  He could do it but it is not ideal to make him do that.  That is not a knock on Worm.  I would not want to see Lionel James or Darren Sproles do it either and they both played well in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I love the Worm.  He has the heart of a lion.  That does not mean he could play left tackle though.  Worm is awesome using his speed and quickness as a change of pace RB.  I would not like to force him to have to carry the ball 25 times a game in the SEC.  He could do it but it is not ideal to make him do that.  That is not a knock on Worm.  I would not want to see Lionel James or Darren Sproles do it either and they both played well in the NFL.

Fact of the matter is, CAP was the last Auburn RB to hold up to that kind of work load. Being 215 didn't help KJ. Being 235 didn't help Pettway. And being 185-190 wouldn't be what hinders Worm. It's that very few RBs make it through a season carrying the ball that many times. 

We have multiple options for every-down responsibilities. Worm is one of them. We should use them all. 

Unless we have one back become significantly more productive than the rest I would like to see Gus go back to how he utilized our RBs during the first 3 games of 2013 before Tre Mason proved he was the best back on the team in the 4th game. Carries were split as following (excuse formatting as the Carries category is a bit to the left):

Vs Washington State:

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Corey Grant 9 146 16.2 1 75
Tre Mason 15 73 4.9 1 11
Cameron Artis-Payne 10 52 5.2 0 19
Nick Marshall 9 27 3.0 0 8

Vs Arky State

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Cameron Artis-Payne 19 102 5.4 1 13
Tre Mason 14 99 7.1 1 29
Nick Marshall 8 53 6.6 0 25
Corey Grant 7 40 5.7 1 17

Vs Miss State

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Corey Grant 8 44 5.5 0 12
Tre Mason 10 34 3.4 0 7
Nick Marshall 10 22 2.2 0 15
Cameron Artis-Payne 6 12 2.0 0 5

I want us to see who can be our best back throughout the course of the games because Gus has never been able to tell who is best at what during practices and camp. That means not giving anywhere from 0-2 touches for some of the talented backs we have. That shows us almost nothing, particularly when you have a shoddy OL.

22 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think this year we have enough "Quality" workhorse backs to share the load and not cripple one for the sake of getting 1000 yards ( BW, DJ, HJ, MAR as every down backs) and (Worm, Kam as change of pace backs)  I think you need to recruit a 200+ LB back every year that can be a 3 down back in this league.  So recruiting wise I hope we are moving in that direction.

Unfortunately, our problems are not just a recruiting issue to me.  As McLoofus pointed out above, we still peg RB's and all skill players into to many situational roles instead of getting all of the best talent on the field on most plays rather than bring them in to run the same play they have ran 100 times already.  Gus would rather have a guy at the Y that isn't the starter there sit on the bench even though he is a better WR than two others that are starting at other WR positions.  What good did it do to bring Malik Willis in at QB when you only run the zone read with him?  You fooled nobody and you did absolutely nothing to prepare your QB for his future.

I have been rewatching some 2013 games and this wasn't an issue. I think that is the number one thing that has changed with Gus and Auburn in his Tenure. In 2013....We would put 11 players out and we would run play after play....WRs would switch spots. If we called a play that required Tre MAson and Corey Grant both to be on the field then they both stayed through the series or at least until we had something happen where we'd sub....then we would ut in a few fresh guys and do it again....thats also big part of why our pace has gone down. We went from being a cross trained typed of offense where each guy coud do multiple things at multiple spots to trying to get the perfect mismatch and completely losing our Offensive Identity. It is mind boggling. Go back and watch 2013.....completely different.....maybe it is because Gus didnt have as much faith in the entire roster to be subbing like he does now....I have no idea.....Maybe it was more bad advice.....but thats what we need to get back to....Put JG/Bo in at QB, then have BW, HJ, Worm S. Williams and Hill in and run the Offense....then sub and bring in DJ williams, K-mart, Sal, Jay JAy or John Samuel and whatever WR.....and run the whole offense again....ever WR should be able to line up anywhere.....every RB should be able to do everything.....We would be unstoppable.....have swartz/stove/worm doing jet sweep motion every play.....

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fact of the matter is, CAP was the last Auburn RB to hold up to that kind of work load. Being 215 didn't help KJ. Being 235 didn't help Pettway. And being 185-190 wouldn't be what hinders Worm. It's that very few RBs make it through a season carrying the ball that many times. 

We have multiple options for every-down responsibilities. Worm is one of them. We should use them all. 

True.

But watch what happens if Worm, or any other one back starts separating themselves from the pack. People will all the sudden start complaining if that back isn't touching the ball 20 times a game. Unfortunately, or fortunately, whichever way you see it, Gus does like to stick with one guy. 

Also, is Worm really 185-190? Bigger than I thought. 

And one more thought - I actually think that Worm may be less prone to injury than other backs purely based on how compact he is. Pure speculation there.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

DJ Williams seems like a beast on the surface. This is going to make me sound like a hater but there is something about Whitlow that just doesn’t make me feel like he can transition to a premier RB. I want to see more shivers too. He could be our Darren Sproles. Would like to see how his hands are out of the backfield. 

Dag thank you. I have been feeling the same way since last year....and IDK.....I cant put my finger on it....I mean he runs hard...makes some good cuts...but something about him or his style doesn't give me confidence. I feel more confident with Shivers and Joiner than anybody so far.....Its like...if you look at BW...and this isn't a knock....he just doesn't look like an SEC RB to me....maybe he needs bigger shoulder pads....jk but kinda serious...something is off

I like BW. I don’t put him in can’t miss elite status. But I cannot find a particular weakness in him. He was obviously our best last year and he was pretty raw to the position. He could be beaten out at any time by 2-3 other backs and I would not be shocked. 

I don’t get why some don’t seem to be sold on him. But that’s why we are all different. I never thought Ben Tate was all that however the  numbers showed he was pretty good. 

I am with many of you on here.  I think several of our RBs COULD be 25 touch backs, but I really hope they don't have to be.  I hope we can spread the load so that when we get to AMEN corner we have 3-4 backs that have fresh legs.  Instead of 3-4 backs that are on IR.

42 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

True.

But watch what happens if Worm, or any other one back starts separating themselves from the pack. People will all the sudden start complaining if that back isn't touching the ball 20 times a game. Unfortunately, or fortunately, whichever way you see it, Gus does like to stick with one guy. 

Also, is Worm really 185-190? Bigger than I thought. 

And one more thought - I actually think that Worm may be less prone to injury than other backs purely based on how compact he is. Pure speculation there.

It will be interesting to see how much of it has been a Gus thing and how much of it was a Horton thing. Dilly has evidently gotten Gus's attention where others have failed, and who knows what role Caddy will play in those decisions. 

Agreed that people will be clamoring for whatever isn't happening. They were clamoring for CAP even while the entire league was getting run da hell over by Tre Mason. Glad somebody mentioned Ben Tate because people kept saying that Mario Fannin should have been taking his carries. Auburn fans can say some crazy things, considering they claim the RBU title. 

Not sure where Worm is right now- track shape vs football shape and all- but @Momma Worm might know. All I know is that he's gotten up to at least 185 since being here. You're right, he's super compact and you're also right that that likely means more for his durability than anything. 

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

I like BW. I don’t put him in can’t miss elite status. But I cannot find a particular weakness in him. He was obviously our best last year and he was pretty raw to the position. He could be beaten out at any time by 2-3 other backs and I would not be shocked. 

I don’t get why some don’t seem to be sold on him. But that’s why we are all different. I never thought Ben Tate was all that however the  numbers showed he was pretty good. 

I like him as a person, as a player....think he has heart....he just doesnt stroke me as an elite back....its funny you mention Ben Tate because I never was much of a fan of BT either and I been tryin to think of who BW reminds me of and maybe its a little BT with a little CAP...

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I like him as a person, as a player....think he has heart....he just doesnt stroke me as an elite back....its funny you mention Ben Tate because I never was much of a fan of BT either and I been tryin to think of who BW reminds me of and maybe its a little BT with a little CAP...

I put BW over Tate or CAP. Easy better on the eye test. To me anyway. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

How? Lol. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

How? Lol. 

Quicker , shiftier better top end. Not as good of a blocker. But he’s very young. Just an Eye test..... CAP was already a JR when he got here. Tate looked like a undersized full back. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

tenor.gif

...that's a disagree from me.

Still a lot of potential for Whitlow, IMO. He was a very raw kid out of high school and hoping we see him round out into the back he's capable of being this year. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Quicker , shiftier better top end. Not as good of a blocker. But he’s very young. Just an Eye test..... CAP was already a JR when he got here. Tate looked like a undersized full back. 

I know it has been a while but  please go look at Tate's speed numbers.  That guy was way faster than BW.  Tate was very underrated.  For his size the guy could actually fly.  I believe he posted a 4.4 40 time at the combine.

I looked it up

5-11 220

40.5 Vertical
4.12 20 yard shuttle

That is pretty dang good.  I actually have felt like some of you until I went back and looked.

Mario Fannin was a stud athlete with a bad shoulder and a fumbling problem.  

Check this out

5-10 231 WOW!
4.38 40 WOW!

Top performer at the combine in the 40 and the vertical as a RB and weighing 231 pounds.  If and buts and all, but if that guy did not have the shoulder problems and could hold on to the ball he could have been a stud.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know it has been a while but  please go look at Tate's speed numbers.  That guy was way faster than BW.  Tate was very underrated.  For his size the guy could actually fly.  I believe he posted a 4.4 40 time at the combine.

Later in Tate’s career I realized he had better top end speed than he appeared to. To the eye, he didn’t look fast at all.

Boobie has very good speed for his 218#. I wouldn’t trust any 40 times until the pro day or combine. I usually don’t trust many height and weight measurements either. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Later in Tate’s career I realized he had better top end speed than he appeared to. To the eye, he didn’t look fast at all.

Boobie has very good speed for his 218#. I wouldn’t trust any 40 times until the pro day or combine. I usually don’t trust many height and weight measurements either. 

Those numbers are from the combine for both Tate and Fannin.  I agree that BW is plenty fast for his size.

12 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Those numbers are from the combine for both Tate and Fannin.  I agree that BW is plenty fast for his size.

For a long time I liked fannin better than Tate. It took a long time for me to concede that he could not protect the ball. His chronic shoulder issues could not have held up under those conditions of running the ball frequently. I liked Brad Lester better too. He looked much faster than Tate but didn’t clock as well. 

Archived