The 2019 NFL draft was loaded with talented defensive line prospects, but one of the best of the bunch decided to return to school for his senior season.

One of the nation’s top defensive prospects for the 2020 NFL draft class, Auburn’s Derrick Brown recently spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about why he returned to the Tigers for the 2019 season, how he’s working to improve his game before he makes the jump to the pros, and what Auburn fans can expect from him and his teammates this season.

JM: A lot of people felt you were ready to make the jump to the NFL last year. Instead, you decided to return for your senior season. Tell me a little about that decision.

DB: I definitely came back to Auburn to get my degree. I also wanted to compete for a championship at this level. It also allows me to stay close and spend time with my son. Coming back to Auburn has allowed me to be a lot more active in my son’s life right now. He’s young and he needs his father. I’m just getting ready for what comes next.

JM: Last year’s draft class was incredibly deep at defensive tackle. Did that play a role in your decision at all?

DB: No, it didn’t. I’ve played against most of those guys. I know them well. We went through the recruiting process together. I’m very familiar with a lot of them. I’m cool with those guys but they didn’t play a part in my decision. Not at all.

JM: How can this Auburn defense be better this year than it was last year?