Breakout Player For 2019

aubiefifty

Auburn — defensive line: One thing the Tigers have been able to do consistently under Gus Malzahn is put together dominant defensive fronts. The star is tackle Derrick Brown, who surprised many by returning for his senior year. Fellow senior Marlon Davidson is an underrated player at end. The breakout player might be junior Nick Coe, who has settled in as the “buck” end, a pass-rushing position that saw Jeff Holland develop into an All-American two years ago.

i did not post the whole article because it was other teams stuff. if anyone would like the whole article let me know and i will post it.

I don't know that i would put a starter from last season in the running for "break out" player honors. I'm going with Bryant as my breakout player on the dline. We need some speed guys and i think he is the most likely returning player to fill that need. 

You lost me at AL.com

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't know that i would put a starter from last season in the running for "break out" player honors. I'm going with Bryant as my breakout player on the dline. We need some speed guys and i think he is the most likely returning player to fill that need. 

My thoughts as well. Coe is a known commodity even though he hasn't put up huge numbers yet.

Would love a true speed rusher in Bryant, Moultry or some new face if one of them doesn't take that big step. I will say that we've seen guys take a few years to put it all together at Buck. Holland was one. 

14 minutes ago, API said:

You lost me at AL.com

suck it up buttercup news is slim...........

Fyi, the thread title is a little misleading. I found the article, and it is about which position group will be the strength of each team. Dumb ol' al dot com correctly identified the obvious strength of our team, which is DL. They are saying that Coe will be the breakout player *on the DL*.

It is true that Brown and Davidson have been much more visible the last few years, even during recruiting. And Coe does have a chance to put up video game numbers that he hasn't put up yet. Even if he's projected in the first round, he's hardly a household name among CFB gen pop.

So unless we *do* have one of the other guys step up at Buck, I suppose actually that they might be right about that, too. 

To be honest I hope it's Shivers. I think his breakout potential would cause fits for opposing defenses

• ellitor changed the title to Breakout Player For 2019
11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To be honest I hope it's Shivers. I think his breakout potential would cause fits for opposing defenses

tenor.gif

Pulled the RB stats from a team whose running game was pretty good a few years ago. Would love to see something more like this from our backfield, with Worm and Whitlow running 1a/1b and KMart running 3rd and catching some of those swing passes @bigbird mentioned.

Att    Yds    Avg    TD    Rec    Yds    Avg    TD    Plays    Yds    Avg     TD
223    1345    6.0    15       4        30      7.5       0      227        1375    6.1      15
156     1227    7.9    16       9        96      10.7     1      165         1323    8.0     17
81        618      7.6     3       17       153     9.0      1       98           771     7.9     4

Yes, this is the wrong thread. I just want the idea of maximizing all this damned talent to "break out" in Gus's head. 

I hope it’s one of our lbs! There is some hype coming from coaches that think they might be better than the group who just left—yes please!

When I hear breakout I think Joey Gatewood. We have to have good to great QB play to be successful. 

I would be over joyed to see a couple of our OL  have a breakout year!

My pick for O is Matthew Hill. He looked pretty impressive this spring and was actually ranked a bit higher than SW and AS as a recruit. For D I think I'm going to go with Daniel Thomas. He made some pretty big plays last year so maybe it's a bit of a cop-out to call him a "breakout" player but I think he has an opportunity to take his game and leadership skills up a level. 

Seth Williams isn’t recognized as one of the best in the conference right now but I guarantee he will be at the end of the season. Britt and Iggy are the two guys on D that won’t get any preseason honors but have the potential to be stars. I like Matthew Hill too especially if he returns punts instead of Stutts

I trust Twill and his comments seem to point to LB's being really good this year. It could be Britt or another LB but I think it will be an LB. If Twill is right and LB's are very good this will be a great Auburn Defense if O-line stays healthy and has improved since end of year we have potential for a pretty good Offense. I am assuming one of the QB's steps up.  I think we can beat Oregon as I think we match up physically and  a lot of players who I though would go NFL last year decided to stay that usually means the players see and feel something. Players always say the right thing about we have worked hard and have bought into Offense or Defensive but actions peak louder than words and Brown and others staying is a strong action. 

With a slightly easier schedule I would be pumped for this year.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

I hope it's Kaleb Kim

We can't afford to get abused in the middle again this season.

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We can't afford to get abused in the middle again this season.

At end of the year Kaleb held his own. His technique had improved a good bit thanks to Coach Grimes.

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Kaleb held his own.

Stalemates on the O-line aren't going to cut it.  Got to get some movement or the defense wins, especially in the run game.  He's been here what, 10 years? Hopefully the light turns on this year.;)

22 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I hope it's Kaleb Kim

I totally agree.  Before I saw your post I was going to post: "I hope it's AU's Center.....whoever that turns out to be."

The main thing I remember about Auburn's best Centers is that you could literally SEE their leadership on the field as they projected Alpha Dog status on the O-line......oh, and they also could block.  I don't think we saw any of that last year from either C.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, bigbird said:

On O, I'm gonna go with Sheneker

On D, I'm gonna go with Sherwood

For the sake of Gus's offense we better hope it's someone in the H back position.

Archived