Marshall Column: A Matter of Leadership

aubiefifty

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

That or a major bubble burst and correction. 

Just remember how shocking it was when Dinky was offered $4 million. Now, that's actually pretty low on the SEC salary totem pole, IIRC.

I really hope there is a bubble burst, TBH. I feel like only at that point will changes start being made to the problems with CFB. During the playoff era CFB, ESPECIALLY the SEC, has just become so corrupt that it's no longer as fun as it was in the BCS era.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Just remember how shocking it was when Dinky was offered $4 million. Now, that's actually pretty low on the SEC salary totem pole, IIRC.

I really hope there is a bubble burst, TBH. I feel like only at that point will changes start being made to the problems with CFB.

I'd forgotten all about that illustrious nickname.  Needed to laugh. Thanks, AUwent!  :yay:

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

That is the question. What will be the new norms in college football and will it be the end of it.

Gus's new contract might only last one year.

I think 5 years for new coaches has been the norm for a long time. Yet now if a person gets hot for a second they want to lock them down and that is when the money really starts flowing.

So will it now be here is your 5 year contract with X amount guaranteed. Cause any quality coach that is being hunted is gonna get a guarantee lock down. Then 2 years in... nope.. buyout... next person with more guaranteed?

Don't know the best way to do it.  Winning means money and there will always be Slippin' Jimmy Sexton or some other contract attorney out to fleece maximum funds from the big-fish-in-a-small-pond university bumpkins. 

I personally wouldn't be disappointed if football was a smaller thing.  More a school thing, less a big-money TV entertainment thing.  That's the way it was for a very long time and people enjoyed the game just fine.

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

You been in my head???

just kidding I watch the game similar to that although I don’t have the opportunity to discuss with a college coaching guy.  

I agree with your post tho.  

Regardless of feelings on this board Gus is very respected in coaching circles and will be successful at AU or somewhere else.

Guess you guys are on the same page.

He doesn't coach, he just has friends from his days that do. He thought about it, but was as serious about his degree as he was on the field, and used the degree and connections to his advantage and does very well in life.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Don't know the best way to do it.  Winning means money and there will always be Slippin' Jimmy Sexton or some other contract attorney out to fleece maximum funds from the big-fish-in-a-small-pond university bumpkins. 

I personally wouldn't be disappointed if football was a smaller thing.  More a school thing, less a big-money TV entertainment thing.  That's the way it was for a very long time and people enjoyed the game just fine.

Totally agree. I enjoyed alot more that way also. I question if I will even enjoy college football in 10 years.

Leaving Alabama definitely made it more enjoyable, plus Big 12 games are fun to watch. Then I enjoy Texas football which drives Oracle crazy lol.

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I really hope there is a bubble burst, TBH. I feel like only at that point will changes start being made to the problems with CFB. During the playoff era CFB, ESPECIALLY the SEC, has just become so corrupt that it's no longer as fun as it was in the BCS era.

I said in the beginning that Saban and that amount of money would be bad for college football. The guys making 4 million in the SEC now havn't even won a division.

22 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

His thoughts wouldn't go well here.

We go to many of the same watch parties. He puts alot more blame on the players than he does the coaches. He will nit pick play-calling also, but he will watch a play and call it when the failure is on the player.

The discussions we have had involve more the Auburn job as a whole and the issues of finding a coach if Auburn let's Gus go. I've put those up here before. Other stuff I don't feel comfortable with restating.

I will say he believes Gus is a good coach, but that Gus got too big a job too early.

This was a concern I had when he was first named HC.  Only 1 year as the head guy at Arky State was not enough preparation IMO.  Thanks for the response.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

25, 30, and 40 plus years ago don't matter. Coaches are going to look at the recent when looking at jobs. Like the SEC Championship. Over the last 10 years only 3 teams in the West have gone to this game. LSU once, Auburn 3, and the rest Alabama. If we fire Gus, then will have fired all the ones that led Auburn to those games in less than 10 years.

Agreed, but not what we were talking about at the time.  

12 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Totally agree. I enjoyed alot more that way also. I question if I will even enjoy college football in 10 years.

Leaving Alabama definitely made it more enjoyable, plus Big 12 games are fun to watch. Then I enjoy Texas football which drives Oracle crazy lol.

Yeah, I live outside Philadelphia now where no one even knows where Auburn is.  Being out of the Southeast certainly gives one a different perspective.  You don't hear anything about the Iron Bowl or even SEC football around here. (People are pretty upset about Villanova BB tanking this season.)  

I've been watching other conferences as well.  When Auburn is down, the SEC just isn't much fun to watch. 

15 minutes ago, AURealist said:

It's just felt exponentially more corporate since the playoff era began.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It's just felt exponentially more corporate since the playoff era began.

That's s because the CFP is run by a corporation.  Not being snarky - I agree with you.

2 minutes ago, Cozmo said:

Really has nothing to do with what we were talking about, but ok Gus!

Oh, Cause Corch Said and you bolded:

And for those that are saying for once go hire a proven coach blah blah blah... what proven coach is going to come to a fan base with zero patience.  We fired Bowden midseason the year after he won 10 games, we fired Tuberville the first season he lost to bama after defeating them 6 straight years, we fired Chizik 2 years removed from a MNC.  

Then you said:

We, along with UGA, have also had the least amount of head coaching turnover in the SEC the last 25 years, the last 30 years, the last 40 years, the last 50 years etc....

That “zero patience” crap is a farce, especially after 6 years.

Then I said:

25, 30, and 40 plus years ago don't matter. Coaches are going to look at the recent when looking at jobs. Like the SEC Championship. Over the last 10 years only 3 teams in the West have gone to this game. LSU once, Auburn 3, and the rest Alabama. If we fire Gus, then will have fired all the ones that led Auburn to those games in less than 10 years.

So we were not talking about patience, time spans, coaching turnover, and the impact that would have on bringing in a new coach?

Hey man, pony up $32 million and prove to me that none of it will come out of the academic side and go get a proven coach and I will give you a thumbs up and my full support.

10 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yeah, I live outside Philadelphia now where no one even knows where Auburn is.  Being out of the Southeast certainly gives one a different perspective.  You don't hear anything about the Iron Bowl or even SEC football around here. (People are pretty upset about Villanova BB tanking this season.)  

I've been watching other conferences as well.  When Auburn is down, the SEC just isn't much fun to watch. 

Not that bad here. Lol, you get the complaints about the SEC/ESPN lovefest.... which now basically is the ESPN/Alabama lovefest.

For me even now none of the games are that great anymore cause so many programs have fallen off. I remember when games like UF/UT mattered and were exciting for example. Now they are just kinda blah. It is like the quality overall just isn't there anymore.

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Yes it does. I learned that living in Oregon. 

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Oh, Cause Corch Said and you bolded:

Then you said:

Then I said:

So we were not talking about patience, time spans, coaching turnover, and the impact that would have on bringing in a new coach?

Hey man, pony up $32 million and prove to me that none of it will come out of the academic side and go get a proven coach and I will give you a thumbs up and my full support.

Extremely great to know!

2 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Not that bad here. Lol, you get the complaints about the SEC/ESPN lovefest.... which now basically is the ESPN/Alabama lovefest.

For me even now none of the games are that great anymore cause so many programs have fallen off. I remember when games like UF/UT mattered and were exciting for example. Now they are just kinda blah. It is like the quality overall just isn't there anymore.

In a way, it reminds me of the late 1970s. Top regional powerhouses were allowed to stockpile recruits and it made the playing field very uneven. The NCAA began to limit rosters and the SEC changed for a few decades. 

Now, Alabama has marshaled their resources into an indomitable machine that once again stockpiles top recruits from across the nation. The ones who don't excel quickly are often "processed" to make room for new signees. The talent discrepancy has not only made them top dogs but kept possible gamebreakers from other programs. The result is a program that is as close to a professional, corporate football entity as you can find in college football. 

Everything is cyclical it was just a short time ago when we were saying fear the thumb, the Updykes will ebb when Saban retires and probation returns. Auburn will be fine glory days are just around the corner. Heads up ladies and gentlemen.

44 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Wasn't PM arguing to keep Gus just last year?

Yes , he’s your typical trash slinging “journalist “ he knows what will sell. Last year everyone thought Gus was leaving so he played into the fear the same as this year except 180 degree turn around the fear of him staying and destroying the program further, it would really be laughable if it weren’t so, so sad.

Archived