What if Gus resigned?

KolchakAU85

Not going to happen because he doesn't believe he's part of the problem. Have you ever heard him say "we should have called better plays"? Not even after last years LSU game. No how many times have you heard him put the blame on the players complaining about them not executing his plays properly?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jimmy Sexton is the cancer that helped get Auburn in this mess. I wish Auburn would just refuse to negotiate if he’s involved. 

This is an excellent idea. Simply state we will not entertain any candidate represented by Sexton. Suddenly, some other agent would be elevated as a result. And other schools likely would follow suit.

49 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

In the end he will resign under a mutual agreement that most every coach that gets fired does. Why ? Because of his ego. He hasn’t ever been fired per say so he doesn’t want this to be his first. He will still walk away with a lot of money as he should because Leath made a stupid mistake and AU has to pay for it. How much will the buyout go down ? Probably not much. More likeley he will take less to start and more in payments. Either way the money isn’t the objective right now. If he can pullout an 7-5 with a win over uga or uat and a big bowl win then he gets another  year . If not he’s gone. He knows he is on the clock right now.

My issue with your scenario is that it's not ok with me to beat Georgia or Bama (not happening anyway) and finish 7-5. If you can beat either of those there's no way in the world you should only be 7-5. You should be 11-1, 10-2 at the worst. So no, in my book he doesn't get to stay for that record. He may stay because of the buyout but not because he's 7-5. 

1 hour ago, auskull said:

I can't even remember the last coach who resigned because of losing the team, fans, and etc. These guys have egos and always think they can get it done. Problem is we are headed for, or already at a rebuilding phase, much like when Gene was let go. Someone will eventually come in and start rebuilding, developing players, and hopefully just reloading. Until then......??

Gary Andersen of Oregon State:

Gary Andersen’s messages explain why he left Oregon State's $12 million

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/9/16450356/gary-andersen-oregon-state-resigned-head-coach

Also Steve Spurrier:

Why did Steve Spurrier quit at midseason? The Head Ball Coach explains in a letter

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/1/9832474/steve-spurrier-south-carolina-retire-explanation

50 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jimmy Sexton is the cancer that helped get Auburn in this mess. I wish Auburn would just refuse to negotiate if he’s involved. 

I guess I'm not getting this Jimmy Sexton fixation. Whoever he was negotiating with could have simply said, no, we're not doing that. Does he put some kind of hex on people?

6 minutes ago, tdburger said:

I guess I'm not getting this Jimmy Sexton fixation. Whoever he was negotiating with could have simply said, no, we're not doing that. Does he put some kind of hex on people?

No, but he's a real pro in negotiating deals for his clients, and I'd say he holds most of the cards here since Dr. Leath signed such a bad deal.  We're desperate for change, yet we're legally committed, and he knows it.

11 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

No, but he's a real pro in negotiating deals for his clients, and I'd say he holds most of the cards here since Dr. Leath signed such a bad deal.  We're desperate for change, yet we're legally committed, and he knows it.

I'm with you. Leath set us back years. Just saying Sexton isn't the problem.

30 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My issue with your scenario is that it's not ok with me to beat Georgia or Bama (not happening anyway) and finish 7-5. If you can beat either of those there's no way in the world you should only be 7-5. You should be 11-1, 10-2 at the worst. So no, in my book he doesn't get to stay for that record. He may stay because of the buyout but not because he's 7-5. 

I agree but in that case it would be hard for AG to justify the decision. And by the way AG will be the one to make this decision. Leath will steer clear. Notice today all he said was he agrees with AG. The important part is not what you are hearing but what you are not hearing. Normally at this point in the year ( because for the sake of AU and the team you want not to add to their misery, so normally you would be hearing a full throated “ Gus is here to stay” even if they were leaning the other way. They are not saying that. They are saying we are not satisfied and it must get corrected. Believe me AG does not want to fire someone but if it continues as is he won’t have a choice.

34 minutes ago, tdburger said:

He put some kind of spell on Leath. I don’t know. He’s singlehandedly set the “market rate” though. 8-5 coach, eh? How about 49 million?

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He put some kind of spell on Leath. I don’t know. He’s singlehandedly set the “market rate” though. 8-5 coach, eh? How about 49 million?

LOL. That he did. Leath screwed Auburn big time.

Just to add a thought for those saying we can’t afford to fire Gus . Because of the stupid contract Gus got a guaranteed 39 million of which we would have paid him 7 million of of it this year leaving 32 million. Now from here we have to pay it regulardless of whether he stays or goes. The difference is if he is here we will see no improvement and our athletes and university will suffer ridicule and financial loss for the next 6 years. A new coaching staff will cost less than 7 million a year total. That’s the only additional  cost but the revenue hit that we would take with keeping Gus would more than nullify that cost. So we are not saving money to keep Gus. 

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

His reputation is already tarnished imo. He was the HUNH guru that had to figuratively give up his play calling duties. Anyways, I just don’t think it is reasonable to think he might consider resigning. Even if more than one percent is willing to resign under such pressure, and let’s just say that number is 10, there is still 90% still looking to fill up their basket, figuratively speaking.  Sure there is a possibility, but the odds are slim. The best possibilty in my mind is to convince him to take less and and to make the divorce as clean and pain free as possible for both sides. 

👍

13 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I don't know about that.

If I had $10 million in the bank, plus a salvageable career and (most importantly) reputation, I would not trade away my career and reputation for any amount of money beyond that.

Is it really dumb to think that way?

Yes!!! Either you have never played sports or know nothing about being competitive.   To get to the level that these guys are at, you have to have the mentality that you can fix anything.  Because if you don’t, you are acknowledging that you aren’t the person for the job

11 hours ago, tdburger said:

No - he simply builds a narrative for his clients.  HE built that Arkansas $#it and filtered it through the media weeks before AU played UGA.  Arky was in desperate need of a change and they were ready to fire their AD & scratch out a check for $12mm for Builma's buyout.  Sexton knew this, and he stirred the pot with Gus' stick, he slowly chummed the waters with Arky coming heavy for Gus rumors.  

Then Gus did the unthinkable, he beat the #1 & #2 teams and put AU in the playoff picture - well, Jimmy had already muddied the waters with Gus to Arky rumors and he had to reverse course in a flash, which resulted in Gus/Jimmy bending AU over a barrel and forcing them to take it up the tootie to the tune of $49mm/7yr guaranteed contract.  

All this is going on while Florida/Tennessee/Arkansas/MooState/aTm are ALL on the hunt for a new HC & staff.  The timing was ripe for Gus/Jimmy to pick Auburn apart, as the last thing AU wanted to do was get in the coaching search to replace a HC that had his team in the SECCG and had serious playoff aspirations.  The timing couldn't have been better, the set-up by Sexton couldn't have been more perfect.  Honestly, when you sit back and watch how the man operates he is the best of the best.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

No - he simply builds a narrative for his clients.  HE built that Arkansas $#it and filtered it through the media weeks before AU played UGA.  Arky was in desperate need of a change and they were ready to fire their AD & scratch out a check for $12mm for Builma's buyout.  Sexton knew this, and he stirred the pot with Gus' stick, he slowing chummed the waters with Arky coming heavy for Gus rumors.  

Then Gus did the unthinkable, he beat the #1 & #2 teams and put AU in the playoff picture - well, Jimmy had already muddied the waters with Gus to Arky rumors and he had to reverse course in a flash, which resulted in Gus/Jimmy bending AU over a barrel and forcing them to take it up the tootie to the tune of $49mm/7yr guaranteed contract.  

All this is going on while Florida/Tennessee/Arkansas/MooState/aTm are ALL on the hunt for a new HC & staff.  The timing was ripe for Gus/Jimmy to pick Auburn apart, as the last thing AU wanted to do was get in the coaching search to replace a HC that had his team in the SECCG and had serious playoff aspirations.  The timing couldn't have been better, the set-up by Sexton couldn't have been more perfect.  Honestly, when you sit back and watch how the man operates he is the best of the best.

It really was the perfect storm to screw Auburn....Is Sexton a member of the REC?????????

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

It really was the perfect storm to screw Auburn....Is Sexton a member of the REC?????????

He's negotiated Nick contracts for years - Jimmy Sexton is the best of the best in the college coaching circles.  

3 hours ago, keesler said:

No - he simply builds a narrative for his clients.  HE built that Arkansas $#it and filtered it through the media weeks before AU played UGA.  Arky was in desperate need of a change and they were ready to fire their AD & scratch out a check for $12mm for Builma's buyout.  Sexton knew this, and he stirred the pot with Gus' stick, he slowly chummed the waters with Arky coming heavy for Gus rumors.  

You make a lot of great points, and what you wrote probably exactly sums up the mindset of the PTB when they were dealing with Sexton.  But I still say Auburn was in a stronger position last year than it might look at first glance. 

First, Gus' track record is inconsistent.  I don't think UF or A&M either one would have given him a hard look last year.  True, those 2 schools were also going to get the pick of the litter of available coaches, and that was an arrow in Sexton's quiver. But it goes both ways:  we probably aren't going to outbid UF and A&M, but we probably aren't going to have any trouble edging out the other 3 for a likely candidate.  I think I've read that Rocky Top was getting turned down by candidates last year. 

Arky and UT were/are major rebuilding jobs.  MSstake also, though maybe not as bad the other 2.  Unless Gus was just determined to get paid, would he have left last year to go those schools?  Auburn is clearly a better job than 2 of the 3, and at least on par with UT since the 1980s. Given his record here, if he was willing to go to any of the 3 for more bucks I think letting him go was a defensible choice by the PTB. 

I know I'm speaking from hindsight which is easy, but I would have taken the chance on losing CGM and having a season with Steele as interim HC rather than pay Gus that much guaranteed $.

As far as Gus resigning, the only thing I can think of that makes that possible is if his family is just miserable with the current situation. But even then CGM is probably too invested in staying.

3 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Jimmy Sexton only did what he was paid to do. The real culprit is the man paying Jimmy to play such games. It was a smart move but this is why I don’t get to high or low about Gus. I don’t push this false narrative that he is all in for Auburn. He is all in for himself (like most folks) and if Auburn is in the picture then it is a plus. 

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jimmy Sexton only did what he was paid to do. The real culprit is the man paying Jimmy to play such games. It was a smart move but this is why I don’t get to high or low about Gus. I don’t push this false narrative that he is all in for Auburn. He is all in for himself (like most folks) and if Auburn is in the picture then it is a plus. 

Sexton is good at what he does. You can't really blame the guy for doing his job (not that you were).  Its how he puts food on the table.  I sure don't blame Gus for taking the money.  If someone wanted to pay me an obscene amount of money to do my job I would take it.  I feel like the blame lies with the people that negotiated the contract.  I mean you have to wonder if Leath or whoever even pushed back or counter offered or something. 

This is the only way he goes this year IMO. I think its likely. We negotiate a smaller buyout maybe around $26-30M and he goes. I think he is ready to take his money do some TV stuff and take over a G05 School and do well there.  

4 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

This is the only way he goes this year IMO. I think its likely. We negotiate a smaller buyout maybe around $26-30M and he goes. I think he is ready to take his money do some TV stuff and take over a G05 School and do well there.  

Gus on TV.  That would be riveting 😂🤣😂🤣

1 minute ago, weathergeakal said:

ESPN Would love to have an offensive guru on the station. We need the Gus & Chizik combo. 

They probably would enjoy forcing former Auburn coaches to gush over bammer...

Ok I don't agree with the extension last year, but Gus took advantage of the fact the coaching carousel had been running it's course, and all the big name hires were already taken. We would of wound up with someone like Kevin Steele or Jeremy Pruitt. Any and all of the big name available coaches had already been taken. It was pay Gus, or start over with a nobody. If we had done that, every one of you who are all up in arms would be pissed we hired some no name coach, some 2nd rate coach, or another coach who would have half a decade of a learning curve. There is no pleasing you people. The fact remains, Gus should of been fired immediately after the LSU game last year. That would of given us a leg up in the coaching carousel, and given us a chance at the top coaches... But we didn't fire him when we SHOULD have, and it allowed Gus to coach for his life just so he could become complacent again...

22 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I donated $50,000

Yeah because giving away $50,000 is remotely in the same universe as giving away 30+ MILLION. 

20 hours ago, auskull said:

I can't even remember the last coach who resigned because of losing the team, fans, and etc. These guys have egos and always think they can get it done. 

You have already been given a couple of examples. But to bring it closer to home, in 1998, Terry Bowden resigned in the middle of the season, and somehow was still given a buyout.

3 hours ago, lurtz said:

You make a lot of great points, and what you wrote probably exactly sums up the mindset of the PTB when they were dealing with Sexton.  But I still say Auburn was in a stronger position last year than it might look at first glance. 

First, Gus' track record is inconsistent.  I don't think UF or A&M either one would have given him a hard look last year.  True, those 2 schools were also going to get the pick of the litter of available coaches, and that was an arrow in Sexton's quiver. But it goes both ways:  we probably aren't going to outbid UF and A&M, but we probably aren't going to have any trouble edging out the other 3 for a likely candidate.  I think I've read that Rocky Top was getting turned down by candidates last year. 

Arky and UT were/are major rebuilding jobs.  MSstake also, though maybe not as bad the other 2.  Unless Gus was just determined to get paid, would he have left last year to go those schools?  Auburn is clearly a better job than 2 of the 3, and at least on par with UT since the 1980s. Given his record here, if he was willing to go to any of the 3 for more bucks I think letting him go was a defensible choice by the PTB. 

I know I'm speaking from hindsight which is easy, but I would have taken the chance on losing CGM and having a season with Steele as interim HC rather than pay Gus that much guaranteed $.

As far as Gus resigning, the only thing I can think of that makes that possible is if his family is just miserable with the current situation. But even then CGM is probably too invested in staying.

By the time the coaching carousel was unfolding, UT had been denied by a few candidates, UF already had Mullen, and aTm had already offered Fisher a king's ransom.  Arkansas was shopping and MSU went north to get a coordinator from PSU.  There weren't many viable options that were any better than what AU already had when the contract negotiation had started with Gus/AU.

One big $$ guy backed the contract, put some pressure on Leath and rumor has it he's willing to pony up the lions share of the initial installment on the buyout to cut bait with CGM right now. 

So I suppose the insiders may be correct >>>> money is not a problem. 

The issue now lies in who the hell will AU get for a HC, and what kind of staff can he pull along with him?  Is he a heavy lean to offense or defense, can he recruit and does he have any idea what kind of fire he's jumping into going head to head 365 days a year with the best college recruiting staffers in the country?

Archived