Best case scenario for 2018?

jskilgro

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Ole Miss is a must-win game.

Not sure if you are serious, but the MSU and UT games were must-wins too.  I think we’re beyond that now. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:
8 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Ole Miss is a must-win game.

Not sure if you are serious, but the MSU and UT games were must-wins too.

It is a must-win if we want to make it to a bowl game. We're not beating TAMU, UGA, or Bama. Liberty and Ole Miss are the only chance we have left. So, it is a must-win for bowl eligibility. My God, how far we've fallen.

I'm almost thinking that winning any more games actually hurts the long term health of the program.

The 2016 LSU win is absolutely destroying us right now. If we lose out the big money people will probably be restless enough to really consider reaching for that $32M mark.

I don't feel right advocating for AU to lose, and I hope we win. But I will not be upset if we continue to lose. The end will (hopefully) justify the means. But I know that Gus leading this program is going to continue to lead us to the same place.

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

It is a must-win if we want to make it to a bowl game. We're not beating TAMU, UGA, or Bama. Liberty and Ole Miss are the only chance we have left. So, it is a must-win for bowl eligibility. My God, how far we've fallen.

I see where you are going now.  The MSU game was a must-win to keep our SEC West Championship alive.  The UT game was a must-win to see improvement and get a better bowl game.  The Ole Miss game is a must-win to get a bowl game.  And last but not least, if we lose to Ole Miss, the Liberty game is a must-win for Gus to keep his job.  We will beat Liberty going away.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I see where you are going now.  The MSU game was a must-win to keep our SEC West Championship alive.  The UT game was a must-win to see improvement and get a better bowl game.  The Ole Miss game is a must-win to get a bowl game.  And last but not least, if we lose to Ole Miss, the Liberty game is a must-win for Gus to keep his job.  We will beat Liberty going away.

1 win in the SEC with a preseason top 10 ranking is a fireable offense in my opinion. He should not have his job right now. He has legitimately killed my desire to watch Auburn football and that fact is incredibly sad to me. Until a change is made, I won't be giving any money to the program (pockets not deep enough for buyout). I would consider a gofundme page for it though.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Agree 100%. 

If Willis had even a chance to be better than Stidham, he would be in there. Also, it's telling that the staff fully expects Bo Nix to walk in and start next season as a true freshman over Willis who will have been in the system 3 full seasons

Yep. Bo Nix is already....even in high school far above anyone on the current roster in terms of development due to having good coaching. 

I'm afraid there is no best case situation at this point of the season. The cards are on the table. 

3 minutes ago, nutspanther said:

1 win in the SEC with a preseason top 10 ranking is a fireable offense in my opinion. He should not have his job right now. He has legitimately killed my desire to watch Auburn football and that fact is incredibly sad to me. Until a change is made, I won't be giving any money to the program (pockets not deep enough for buyout). I would consider a gofundme page for it though.

Quoting Clinton; “I feel your pain”.  This season in the culmination of how bad Gus can be, but I have no control over the situation, so I will endure as an Auburn fan.  The PTB will make any decision deemed appropriate. I hope for the best. War Eagle.

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Yep. Bo Nix is already....even in high school far above anyone on the current roster in terms of development due to having good coaching. 

Sadly, I feel like given our current coaching it would be best for Bo Nix to de-commit. Going to Auburn as a passing quarterback is about the most career limiting thing you could do.

To make good out of a bad situation at least this season is best case scenario for my pocket book.  Those Tamu tickets are looking pretty sweet at $40.  Who knows how low they’ll go if Ole Miss beats Auburn this weekend.  

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Agree 100%. 

If Willis had even a chance to be better than Stidham, he would be in there. Also, it's telling that the staff fully expects Bo Nix to walk in and start next season as a true freshman over Willis who will have been in the system 3 full seasons

what is the latter half of this comment based on? 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, Zeek said:

I got you

Watching Bama fans excuse his actions is disgusting. 

No surprise there. Updyke nation has such class!

8-4 is absolute ceiling for regular season, and a bowl win, so 9-4. UGA is beatable but it will take a turnaround of epic proportions. I Believe it can be done with the talent on this team, but execution must get better.

I mean the absolute BEST CASE scenario is 9-3, and the even with that amount of divine intervention/luck/unicorn black magic we would still lose the bowl game because...GUS.

Putting fantasy aside: OM and aTm are not that good (but neither are we), UGA is beatable (but we are terribly coached/prepared), but bammer is just better than us.  I guess I have to say 5-7.  I know Liberty is a good team and all, but we have better depth (more talent) so I have to figure (hope) that we will win that one.

Best scenario:

1. This year, we barely become bowl eligible.  But we do, and benefit from the extra practice.  But we lose the bowl game in utter embarrassing fashion, due to a really poor offensive performance.

2. Jarret Stidham leaves town for good, right after the bowl game, via declaring for the draft, or transferring.

3. Chip Lindsey leaves AU, by some means (resign or fired).

4. We hire either Hugh Freeze or Kendall Briles to be the OC.

5. One of Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg, or Bo Nix becomes our next great dual-threat QB.

Then Freeze or Briles are around to assume HC duties whenever Gus leaves, preferably after next season.

36 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Best scenario:

1. This year, we barely become bowl eligible.  But we do, and benefit from the extra practice.  But we lose the bowl game in utter embarrassing fashion, due to a really poor offensive performance.

2. Jarret Stidham leaves town for good, right after the bowl game, via declaring for the draft, or transferring.

3. Chip Lindsey leaves AU, by some means (resign or fired).

4. We hire either Hugh Freeze or Kendall Briles to be the OC.

5. One of Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg, or Bo Nix becomes our next great dual-threat QB.

Then Freeze or Briles are around to assume HC duties whenever Gus leaves, preferably after next season.

Not sure extra practice in this 2018 offense would be beneficial.

If 3 & 4 were to happen, then Stidham coming back might not be too bad.  Again, IF those 2 things happen....

Cord nor Bo are true DT.  They are merely mobile pocket passers just like Stidham.  It's been bantied about that Gatewood will either be moved to another position or transfer.

Freeze would probably not be accepted as a HC.  Not sure about young Briles...

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure extra practice in this 2018 offense would be beneficial.

If 3 & 4 were to happen, then Stidham coming back might not be too bad.  Again, IF those 2 things happen....

Cord nor Bo are true DT.  They are merely mobile pocket passers just like Stidham.  It's been bantied about that Gatewood will either be moved to another position or transfer.

Freeze would probably not be accepted as a HC.  Not sure about young Briles...

I was afraid Gatewood might transfer. 

Yeah, Freeze would probably need a few years of "proving himself" before he was deemed an acceptable head coach.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Why should going 5-7 guarantee Gus will not be bought out? It really comes down to how much the big dogs are willing to pony up.

6 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Why should going 5-7 guarantee Gus will not be bought out? It really comes down to how much the big dogs are willing to pony up.

There are no guarantees in life.  I would think if Gus looses to OM, in his mind, the Liberty game becomes a must win. Just think if he looses that game. If we end up 5-7 or 4-8 we, as fans, will have to wait to see what the BOT and Boosters will do at seasons ends. There will be a lot of speculation, though

If he is 6-6 or better; who knows?

Can someone get a booster to post their thoughts on here, or are they too busy raising the cash?

5-7 or 4-8 should be fireable. We are Auburn. 5-7 is not that much better than 3-9 which the worst in program history. I'm certain big money guys can pool together $15M for the initial payment of the buyout if we are looking at 5 or 4 wins. 

TAMU reached for the stars, I'd like to see us make a similar commitment. I know they have way more money to play around with but a similar style move would be great in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

5-7 or 4-8 should be fireable. We are Auburn. 5-7 is not that much better than 3-9 which the worst in program history. I'm certain big money guys can pool together $15M for the initial payment of the buyout if we are looking at 5 or 4 wins. 

TAMU reached for the stars, I'd like to see us make a similar commitment. I know they have way more money to play around with but a similar style move would be great in my opinion.

5-7 leaves us with one conference win......a few months removed from playing for the SECC. Utterly ridiculous. Beat by 3 SEC teams with first year HCs of downtrodden schools. It's like a dream you can't wake up from.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, Zeek said:

if we could ding up some players and ruin Tua’s Heisman candidacy as well as their championship run all the better.

We beat them last season. Soundly. Kept them out of the SECCG. And they still got in. How would beating them this season alter the committee’s successful 2017 reasoning?

Archived