2012 - hoping for the bottom to come out

Dual-Threat Rigby

On 10/13/2018 at 10:42 PM, passthebiscuits said:

I was told that we expressed interest to Kirby, but he did not want us back.

urequited love. Tale as old as time. 

Interesting. I heard it was down to Kirby & Gus after 2012 & Kirby supposedly wanted the job but Jar Jar chose Gus.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:44 PM, johnnyAU said:

Dude, Kirby would have bolted Auburn for UGA when Richt's job came open anyway. 

We don't know that. There have many coaches in history who did not go back to their alma mater when they had the chance. Yes Kirby may have gone to UGA when they were ready to part with Richt but if Kirby was the top choice you take the chance on hiring him & see if he falls in love with Auburn & this community as so many have done before.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Interesting. I heard it was down to Kirby & Gus after 2012 & Kirby supposedly wanted the job but Jar Jar chose Gus.

I was told the above 

but that we wouldn’t give total control to Kirby.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We don't know that. There have many coaches in history who did not go back to their alma mater when they had the chance. Yes Kirby may have gone to UGA when they were ready to part with Richt but if Kirby was the top choice you take the chance on hiring him & see if he falls in love with Auburn & this community as so many have done before.

If Kirby left Auburn it’s because Kirby was doing well at Auburn and Georgia wanted him. Bama wouldn’t go after their lovable alum, Dabo, if he held the same successes as Tommy Bowden after all. Assuming that Kirby was doing well at Auburn, it makes going back to your alma mater less tempting imo. And even if Kirby did bolt, surely Auburn’s status would’ve already been propped up for the next coach to enjoy the spoils. Bunch of assumptions here, but I don’t buy that Kirby would’ve just bolted from Auburn without Auburn benefitting from his tenure here. 

59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I was told the above 

but that we wouldn’t give total control to Kirby.

If Kirby left Auburn it’s because Kirby was doing well at Auburn and Georgia wanted him. Bama wouldn’t go after their lovable alum, Dabo, if he held the same successes as Tommy Bowden after all. Assuming that Kirby was doing well at Auburn, it makes going back to your alma mater less tempting imo. And even if Kirby did bolt, surely Auburn’s status would’ve already been propped up for the next coach to enjoy the spoils. Bunch of assumptions here, but I don’t buy that Kirby would’ve just bolted from Auburn without Auburn benefitting from his tenure here. 

I think he would have viewed Auburn as a stepping stone to UGA regardless.  Had he absolutely bombed out at Auburn, he may not have been as lucrative a choice, but had he just moderate success, I believe he would have jumped if given the opportunity.

22 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I think he would have viewed Auburn as a stepping stone to UGA regardless.  Had he absolutely bombed out at Auburn, he may not have been as lucrative a choice, but had he just moderate success, I believe he would have jumped if given the opportunity.

Like @Mikeyhas said many times, this is not a stepping stone school. Once coaches get settled in, they typically don’t willingly leave. 

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Like @Mikeyhas said many times, this is not a stepping stone school. Once coaches get settled in, they typically don’t willingly leave. 

Normally it isn't, but sometimes it is for a hated rival whose ultimate goal is to be HC at his alma mater.

Archived