Jason Campbell: 'It's not just the offensive line'

abw0004

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nope. Gus has no accountability over this. Didn’t you know? I mean only gave the okay to recruit these guys, hiring the coaches to teach and gameplan and finalize such game plan. But other than that, he has no accountability.

Ultimately it falls on Gus.  No one has said it doesn't.  That's true in every sport of every game.  Every team has holes.  Ours just happens to be OL this year.  Young and inexperienced.  If we rolled out the top 5 true freshmen in the nation on OL next year they would have the same issues.  

Uga is inexperienced on both the OL and DL and Pittman has recruited about as well as can be expected at OL yet they are struggling and haven't played anything close to the competition as AU has.  However the QB, WR, and running backs have played better then ours.  Yet they looked like dog crap against Mizzou

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The thing is, with the offensive line, it takes some time to gel together," said Campbell, 

You mean like 5 + months?

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Not saying dumb down the offense but do the things we can do well and build off of it. 

Honestly, I can't tell you one thing that we consistently do well.

The quick intermediate passes(slants, outs, and back shoulders) and RB flares against UW looked good and we we're pretty effective with them. Probably why we haven't seen them since.

53 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Ultimately it falls on Gus.  No one has said it doesn't.  That's true in every sport of every game.  Every team has holes.  Ours just happens to be OL this year.  Young and inexperienced.  If we rolled out the top 5 true freshmen in the nation on OL next year they would have the same issues.  

Uga is inexperienced on both the OL and DL and Pittman has recruited about as well as can be expected at OL yet they are struggling and haven't played anything close to the competition as AU has.  However the QB, WR, and running backs have played better then ours.  Yet they looked like dog crap against Mizzou

I was being sarcastic just like the original poster was. I guess sarcasm only works one way.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The quick intermediate passes(slants, outs, and back shoulders) and RB flares against UW looked good and we we're pretty effective with them. Probably why we haven't seen them since.

Plays like that take Gus out of his comfort zone.

If we, as fans, have learned anything about Gus, it's that he ONLY does what he's comfortable with, whether it works or not.  It's the players' job to execute no matter how bad the play (or plan) might be.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

If Chip were running the offense you'd be seeing a lot more of this.

I'm thinking Jason was trying to be nice or maybe he didn't dive deep into the OL film. Sure, the QB, RBs and OL all need to play better, that's a given. But in this particular case one of those three need to play a LOT better. It's funny how, when an OL performs, the QBs and RBs are able to play so much better. This OL needs to get better fast or the rest of it won't really matter. At this point in the season it isn't important anymore how we got here or whose fault it is. What is important now is it just needs to get fixed.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I love Jason Campbell and all but  I seem to remember him struggling until his senior year which I believe coincided with the arrival of Borges. Coaching and maturity make the QB. Miss either one or both and you've got trouble. 

Man did he..........Heck Stan White stuggled.........we took a nasty beating in Oxford, MS.....lost 45-21 I believe in early 90's.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I know I can absolutely count on 3-4 false start and 3-4 holding penalties.  Every freaking game.

7 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I know I can absolutely count on 3-4 false start and 3-4 holding penalties.  Every freaking game.

At least 3-4 (to 5 to 6...) poorly schemed or executed screen passes for negative or minimal yardage as well.

Actually if you've read or paid attention to anything posted on this board, you would've already seen it said many times over that OL has issues,  Stidham is gun shy and holds the ball too long and the ridiculous delay of handoff is what has been criticized and pointed out. Not to mention gameplan and/or adjustments. Maybe instead of being so defensive of Gus, start listening to what's being said instead of thinking everyone is just a hater........

18 hours ago, corchjay said:

How much does Kellen Mond remind you guys of Jason Campbell?

Love JC but I think Mond is a better runner, and is much more willing to run, than Jason was, based on the little bit I have seen of KM.  Maybe that's a function of ATM's scheme as much as anything else.

Jason is right, it isn't just the OL's fault. It's JB's, Tim and Gus' play calling. We flat out don't have any kind of an offense this year.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:21 PM, corchjay said:

Yep experience is a great teacher.  I'd say Petrino had as much of a hand in Jason's development as Borges and Borges benefited from a very senior and junior heavy offense in 2004 and 2005.  

Aside from that and on to another topic completely... How much does Kellen Mond remind you guys of Jason Campbell?

I see some things like Jason. I think KM is some great talent that’s still raw. Jimbo is a good QB coach. I think KM will be dangerous down the road if he gets the right folks around him. You can coach someone into being a great QB you can’t coach him that ability. They have to come with it and KM has it.

Jason is right. First we lack experience in the OL and at RB. Then injuries make things worse. That happens on every team. What bugs me is that coaches instead of excepting that and rerouting the offense in a way to get around those problems they just pretend that it’s no big deal we just have to force the issue. So we are in a downward spiral on offense until we either build experience ( down the road another 3 or 4 games) and cough up a few loses or the coaches understand they have to go away from their original game plan and adapt to what they have at the moment and try to win some while we are getting folks up to speed.

I don't think you can point your finger at just one aspect and say this is the problem. No sir, the showing on offense this year has been a group effort. :banghead:

Archived