Malik Miller, Asa Martin 'may get more opportunities'

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

That's what I said...

Is this Jacksonville State or Jackson State?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Miller could at least be a better pass blocker and get some tough yards. Doesn't mean he's the answer to the running game. I think we know the problem isn't with the RB's. 

10 hours ago, keesler said:

Why the hell haven't someone (Steele) from this top shelf defensive staff TOLD the HC what they see when scouting this offense?

@bigbird could probably speak to this better than me since he is still actively coaching.  But, there is a certain chemistry to a coaching staff and depending on the relationships it affects what can be said in the coaching room.  Steele is an old school guy, and he is NOT going to do anything other than worry about his defense, his defensive coaches and players, and coach them the best he knows how.  He isn't going to volunteer anything outside of his realm of expertise which is defense. He expects the coaches on the offensive side of the ball to know their stuff and do their job and he isn't going to question that.  That's just the etiquette of the coaching room.  Now, if Gus went to him in private and asked him his true thoughts, he might take the time to look at some film and offer his opinion, but he isn't going to waste any time doing that as opposed to watching his defensive film and making his group the best they can be.

I thought Gus had already pegged Asa for the “Devan Barrett one obvious swing pass per game and then leave” role this year.

Looking forward to seeing him on defense in the near future... or at RB for Jacksonville State.

9 hours ago, L I G E R said:

I thought Gus had already pegged Asa for the “Devan Barrett one obvious swing pass per game and then leave” role this year.

Looking forward to seeing him on defense in the near future... or at RB for Jacksonville State.

Not a question of ability w/ Asa IMO. 

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

@bigbird could probably speak to this better than me since he is still actively coaching.  But, there is a certain chemistry to a coaching staff and depending on the relationships it affects what can be said in the coaching room.  Steele is an old school guy, and he is NOT going to do anything other than worry about his defense, his defensive coaches and players, and coach them the best he knows how.  He isn't going to volunteer anything outside of his realm of expertise which is defense. He expects the coaches on the offensive side of the ball to know their stuff and do their job and he isn't going to question that.  That's just the etiquette of the coaching room.  Now, if Gus went to him in private and asked him his true thoughts, he might take the time to look at some film and offer his opinion, but he isn't going to waste any time doing that as opposed to watching his defensive film and making his group the best they can be.

Thanks for the input, I have no idea how the inner workings of a staff operate.

I'm just spit-balling here, nothing more.

It just seems that a HC who's struggled for years to find an offensive identity and has some glaring issues to fix would utilize every tool at his disposal, on his own staff (people drawing an AU paycheck.)  At the end of the day an inept offense offense is going to have an impact on a defense, especially as a season wears on, fatigue sets in, and injuries pile up.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

It just seems that a HC who's struggled for years to find an offensive identity and has some glaring issues to fix would utilize every tool at his disposal, on his own staff (people drawing an AU paycheck.)  At the end of the day an inept offense offense is going to have an impact on a defense, especially as a season wears on, fatigue sets in, and injuries pile up.

You would think so yes

13 hours ago, Hopsing said:

I agree with this. Sort of like when Kam Pettway got a chance.

How long was Pettway on or roster before someone realized he could run the football?

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

If the lines of communications are not encouraged you end up working in a silo.  Sometimes, ego is terrible thing.

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

How long was Pettway on or roster before someone realized he could run the football?

It took an injury for Pettway to get a chance.

Once again, another poor job of player evaluation during practice by our coaches.

16 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

It took an injury for Pettway to get a chance.

Once again, another poor job of player evaluation during practice by our coaches.

To be fair, he was backing up the first guy to give the Detroit Lions a hundy on the ground since Barry Sanders was in office. And, in the end, he proved to be a fairly unreliable teammate. 

(But that doesn't excuse Gus's overreliance on RB1.)

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To be fair, he was backing up the first guy to give the Detroit Lions a hundy on the ground since Barry Sanders was in office. And, in the end, he proved to be a fairly unreliable teammate. 

(But that doesn't excuse Gus's overreliance on RB1.)

That is fair but It seemed like they were clueless to his abilities until game time. Maybe he was a gamer, I don’t know but ever since I have been leary of our ability to evaluate talent or take the blinders off and look further than RB1

1 minute ago, wcware said:

That is fair but It seemed like they were clueless to his abilities until game time. Maybe he was a gamer, I don’t know but ever since I have been leary of our ability to evaluate talent or take the blinders off and look further than RB1

With you on the blinders, and Kam Martin is my personal example of a guy who hasn't been evaluated and/or implemented properly by this staff.

While he's far from our biggest problem, and he might not necessarily even qualify as a "liability", I would not be sad to see Horton go. Great guy. Lots of success. Just feels like we need to shake things up and look forward. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

With you on the blinders, and Kam Martin is my personal example of a guy who hasn't been evaluated and/or implemented properly by this staff.

While he's far from our biggest problem, and he might not necessarily even qualify as a "liability", I would not be sad to see Horton go. Great guy. Lots of success. Just feels like we need to shake things up and look forward. 

Don't worry McL, Gus has already broken the great news that Kam is going to be our RB1 Saturday. Apparently he has gone back and diagnosed our running game problems and decided that his original genius idea to make Kmart our RB1 he made at the first of the year, is now once again a brilliant move on his part. We are golden. Not!!!

On 10/2/2018 at 12:38 PM, McLoofus said:

Couldn't agree more, my friend. 

Not to flog the deceased equine, but it's not about winning or losing for me. Truly isn't. It's about being prepared and getting better. We're failing to do either. 

*band name

4 hours ago, wcware said:

Maybe he was a gamer, I don’t know but ever since I have been leary of our ability to evaluate talent or take the blinders off and look further than RB1

I feel that way about every position. Doesn't seem like they can evaluate talent during practice. I'm really hoping 5* Calvin Ashely is being wasted on the bench. He may be a kid who turns it on during a game. Don't really know.

4 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I feel that way about every position. Doesn't seem like they can evaluate talent during practice. I'm really hoping 5* Calvin Ashely is being wasted on the bench. He may be a kid who turns it on during a game. Don't really know.

With this coaching group, it is amazing how often it takes an injury to get the right player on the field.

I feel inclined to pump a little sunshine my fellow tigers. This is what will happen.

1. Kmart will get some touches and hit a brick wall with the MSU interior DL early in the game.

2. Gus will put Miller in and he will start bulling his way for 5-8 yard runs and score a couple of TDs.

3, Gus will leave him in the game except to give him a breather with Asa & Shivers taking the ball for some decent gains

4. The running game will open up the passing game for JS.

5. JS will get the hot hand and make a couple of long throws to Schwartz and Slayton

We wind up with 465 yards of offense with 220 rushing and 245 passing

6. Our defense keeps MSU under 300 yards of total offense

We win 34-13.

I hope and pray this will happen. Maybe if enough of us pray to the Lord for a divine revelation to occur to Gus and show Gus that he must trust in the Lord and lean not on his own understanding. Seriously folks, I agree to offer up prayers that Gus will be shown the path for our football issues and for Gus to listen to the man upstairs!  Folks, I am in no way making fun of religion and want you to know that. I plan to offer up prayers for this team to gain its identity and overcome the issues that have been holding us back. 

28 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I feel inclined to pump a little sunshine my fellow tigers. This is what will happen.

1. Kmart will get some touches and hit a brick wall with the MSU interior DL early in the game.

2. Gus will put Miller in and he will start bulling his way for 5-8 yard runs and score a couple of TDs.

3, Gus will leave him in the game except to give him a breather with Asa & Shivers taking the ball for some decent gains

4. The running game will open up the passing game for JS.

5. JS will get the hot hand and make a couple of long throws to Schwartz and Slayton

We wind up with 465 yards of offense with 220 rushing and 245 passing

6. Our defense keeps MSU under 300 yards of total offense

We win 34-13.

I hope and pray this will happen. Maybe if enough of us pray to the Lord for a divine revelation to occur to Gus and show Gus that he must trust in the Lord and lean not on his own understanding. Seriously folks, I agree to offer up prayers that Gus will be shown the path for our football issues and for Gus to listen to the man upstairs!  Folks, I am in no way making fun of religion and want you to know that. I plan to offer up prayers for this team to gain its identity and overcome the issues that have been holding us back. 

My hopes would be that the gods have more important things to worry about, but if it takes sacrificing a chicken and getting JoeBoo some decent rum I'll be glad to do so.

Archived