Malik Miller, Asa Martin 'may get more opportunities'

aubiefifty

6 hours ago, keesler said:

:bow:

Gus is not a diversified coach - apparently neither are any of the other O coaches on this staff.  And why the devil hasn't someone anyone, a GA/off-field analyst/ball boy pointed out the predictability relative to personnel groupings?  Why the hell haven't someone (Steele) from this top shelf defensive staff TOLD the HC what they see when scouting this offense?

Lord Have Mercy, I've posted this exact same sentence for 4 straight years.  When will it end?

I wish I had 49 million and I could tell you when it would stop. I, like others, thought Gus was moving past some faults and weaknesses and year six was going to be different. Unfortunately the difference is we can' t run the ball this year. He is predictable and he's obviously not changing.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not real happy with gus but do some of you really think gus beat saban and kirbster with high school coaching?  lol   ok with that.

The Miami Dolphins owned the NFL for a minute by making the Wildcat a huge part of their offense. 

And Gus got a ton on help from his defense in those 2 games you mentioned last year. 

What we are seeing right now isn't high school coaching, though. Gus's version of high school coaching looks awfully damned good compared to whatever it is we are seeing. 

I personally think that hiring an inexperienced guy with no proper CFB mentoring is really, truly coming home to roost. 

• I wish Gus would let Miller carry the ball on at least 4-5 plays on the same series to see what he can do. Will he do this? Probably not. I think Miller could be a diamond in the rough back just waiting for the opportunity to carry the ball and gain some decent yardage.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The Miami Dolphins owned the NFL for a minute by making the Wildcat a huge part of their offense. 

And Gus got a ton on help from his defense in those 2 games you mentioned last year. 

What we are seeing right now isn't high school coaching, though. Gus's version of high school coaching looks awfully damned good compared to whatever it is we are seeing. 

I personally think that hiring an inexperienced guy with no proper CFB mentoring is really, truly coming home to roost. 

i do not mind losing because there are some teams better than us but when we look clueless i really get upset.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i do not mind losing because there are some teams better than us but when we look clueless i really get upset.

Couldn't agree more, my friend. 

Not to flog the deceased equine, but it's not about winning or losing for me. Truly isn't. It's about being prepared and getting better. We're failing to do either. 

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not real happy with gus but do some of you really think gus beat saban and kirbster with high school coaching?  lol   ok with that.

Personally, I've never called him high school.  I've called him stubborn, obtuse, possibly ego driven to the point that he either can't or won't see the deficiencies on his own side of the ball and what appears to be an unwillingness adjust and make necessary changes. 

Now admittedly, I focus primarily on Auburn football and casually watch other teams throughout the year.  But for fans like us that have regurgitated the same old pablum year after year after year for 4-5 years regarding this offensive product, it gets tiresome. 

Sure, whip the top 2 rivals back to back - YEA - WDE!  But the inconsistency makes me dizzy.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Personally, I've never called him high school.  I've called him stubborn, obtuse, possibly ego driven to the point that he either can't or won't see the deficiencies on his own side of the ball and what appears to be an unwillingness adjust and make necessary changes. 

Now admittedly, I focus primarily on Auburn football and casually watch other teams throughout the year.  But for fans like us that have regurgitated the same old pablum year after year after year for 4-5 years regarding this offensive product, it gets tiresome. 

Sure, whip the top 2 rivals back to back - YEA - WDE!  But the inconsistency makes me dizzy.

you and i are very close in thinking the same thing.

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Consistently?  Gus does have flashes of brilliance  but then other times he just plain bad.   He is a system/philosophy  ride or die type of coach.  Thats what Jay Jacobs hired.  

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Couldn't agree more, my friend. 

Not to flog the deceased equine, but it's not about winning or losing for me. Truly isn't. It's about being prepared and getting better. We're failing to do either. 

i guess i am gonna have to start stripping and pole dancing to help raise money for the go fund me to buy out gus. and at almost 260 i have  a feeling it is going to take a while.............lol

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i guess i am gonna have to start stripping and pole dancing to help raise money for the go fund me to buy out gus. and at almost 260 i have  a feeling it is going to take a while.............lol

Not a good vision before lunch 'fifty!

There's no need to resort to such extremes anyway.  Auburn can't hire any better than what we have right now, and actually I'm fine with CGM - he just has to do something to address the issues we keep seeing.  Hell, for all I know he and his entire staff may be burning the midnight oil as I type - they may have a solution and we'll see considerable improvement in Starkvegas on Saturday. 

I'm not hard to please, a glimmer of hope is fine for me.  If they can cut down on the stupid drive killing penalties, block better, know your assignment, make good decisions with the ball, play with intensity.....all of these are more mental than physical and are achievable tasks IMO.  Tiny steps in the right direction, which if carried out week after week will improve the product over time and will help in November.

I have to admit I was not all that excited when Gus was hired in 2013. I read the search committee wanted a home run hire. Take away his first season and his last it's been more like a bunt with a two base throwing error. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Gus is not a diversified coach - apparently neither are any of the other O coaches on this staff.  And why the devil hasn't someone anyone, a GA/off-field analyst/ball boy pointed out the predictability relative to personnel groupings?  Why the hell haven't someone (Steele) from this top shelf defensive staff TOLD the HC what they see when scouting this offense?

Lord Have Mercy, I've posted this exact same sentence for 4 straight years.  When will it end?

How do you know someone hasn't? I find it very hard to believe that with all of the technology and all of the people around him that SOMEONE hasn't said these exact same things to him. If random people on an internet forum can see it then the professionals that he hired have to. The problem is he is either too stubborn, too egotistical, or just too plain dumb to actually listen to the people that he has around him. This, unfortunately, is why he will never be a good Head Coach. This is why Auburn will always be mediocre on offense until he gets fired. It's the sad truth of things. He needs to go. He had his chance 2 years ago to hire an OC that could turn around the offense and for him to keep his big nose out of it ... he failed. And he will continue to fail. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

No, he beat them with fresh and innovative game plans (admittedly thUga also shot themselves in the foot a bit) and play calls that were not all the same, predictable junk that we've seen much of the other time.  Also, he personally coached those games with a fire in his belly (it was palpable) and it reflected in the fire and tenacity of the team.

Gus HAS it in him.  We've seen it .... We know it.... That's what is SO dadgum perplexing and frustrating right now.

15 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Who is going to block for the Malik Miller, Asa Martin carries of which we speak ? Just wondering.

I'll volunteer.

If all you have to do is stand upright, lean back on your heels and let the defender toss you into multiple backwards somersaults, I can do that all day....even on my chemo meds.

Then I could at least brag to people at the bar after the game "yeah, I play for Auburn....just don't watch the replay".

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:
  • I wish Gus would let Miller carry the ball on at least 4-5 plays on the same series to see what he can do. Will he do this? Probably not. I think Miller could be a diamond in the rough back just waiting for the opportunity to carry the ball and gain some decent yardage.

Let me tell everyone why this is a GREAT idea. 1) he may be a good runner 2) even if he is not, he is a better pass protector than kam and 3) having the same pesonnel in the game for an entire series would do wonders for the offense. It would at least keep the defense a little off guard as to whether we were going to call a run or a pass. 

Oh look, Miller is in. He is pass blocking. Oh look, shivers is in. They are running. Oh look, we actually got a first down. Time to pace run it up the middle for no gain. 

Now I am not saying it will work because our OL is TERRIBLE,  but why not give it a shot?  Because the OC is incompetent, that’s why. 

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

Quotes like "we have a couple runs for him" drives me crazy. Why does each player have plays designed specifically for them? I mean don't send miller on a speed sweep yeah but the guy should be able to execute 98% of the runs plays we have in this offense. Part of the reason our offense is so predictable is that you know what plays will be ran just by who is on the field. Ugh....

This x 1000.

If Shivers comes in it is definitely a run play. Or maybe a screen to him. That's the two options. 

1 hour ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

This x 1000.

If Shivers comes in it is definitely a run play. Or maybe a screen to him. That's the two options. 

Sorry but not true.  I specifically was watching this during the game against SM & he did come in on a pass play that was not a screen to him.

6 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I agree with this. Sort of like when Kam Pettway got a chance.

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Excellent post. I’ve thought myself that Steele could provide an excellent analysis of our offense and show Gus what our tells and weaknesses are. Why Gus doesn’t use him as a valuable resource I’ll never know.

Like it or not......Gus is unpredictably predictable! 

Archived