Leaving Early

auburn4ever

26 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Someone mentioned Hugh Freeze to replace Chip Lindsey.  To me, that's a great thought.  Freeze will be just about be "rehabilitated" by then.  He's smart and innovative, and if we don't get him, Saban might.

His daughter does go to auburn....

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Hey, that’s my man crush, but I totally agree.  He will be the scape goat for Gus if the season turns out to be disappointing. 

Ut oh, you've done it now.  The SSPers are about to pile on...

29 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Someone mentioned Hugh Freeze to replace Chip Lindsey.  To me, that's a great thought.  Freeze will be just about be "rehabilitated" by then.  He's smart and innovative, and if we don't get him, Saban might.

As I recall Hugh Freeze is a Christian.  I know some don't like "religion" on here but permit me please to say, we ALL fall short of perfection and obviously he fell and hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down.  Point being, I assume if his heart is in the right place and he's made his amends with our Lord & Savior then who am I to judge?

I just wanted to say that.

As related to football?  Unfortunately, though I'm sure he's a great offensive mind in his own right, the evidence shows that anyone under Gus is just a puppet really.  He would just be another CRL & CCL.  

Until Gus makes up his mind what he wants his offense to truly be, and recruit accordingly, it's not going to matter.  They'll always just sorta be a conglomeration of 2015-today, with an occasional KJ to make them look better or bad OL (or JS, depending on your thoughts this year) to make them look worse.

Leaving Early: Stidham, Brown, Davidson, and maybe Dean and Coe. Plus the usual 1 or 2 that leave every year that probably  aren’t ready. 

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

What I’m saying, in so many words, is since Gus is here for the long term Gus will take the opportunity for a fresh start and a new OC to quell concerns.  It might be totally the right thing to do, but Gus’ choice to replace the OC will be very interesting.

This can be debated from now until his contract is finally up in 2025 or whenever, but the bottom line is as follows: Gus Malzahn is not a good coach. He would most likely not make it anymore as a Coordinator either.  Auburns offense this year is pathetic. Blame the OL all you want, but elite teams don't have this problem. Stidham is gun shy and no longer has any downfield accuracy. We have no top level tailbacks and yes the O line is bad. It is truly amazing how the board of idiots allowed Jacobs to offer that contract to an idiot that has never won with out a QB that didn't run a 4.5 40. Bama and UGA are so far ahead of us now and given another year, A&M will be as well, although not sure we beat them this year. I would love to eat crow on my thoughts, but honestly, unless you are a smoke blower, most fans would agree. Southern Miss really?? Another pathetic display from the offensive guru of Arky highschool football. Going to be a long 7 years. 

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Gus called the TOs when Chip did not get the plays in....and yes , absent some actual proof, I'm saying that Chip is calling the plays and also coaching JS.  

I figure Gus decides whether to go for it on 4th or kick FGs but one play to the next,  my money is that Chip is calling the plays considering that the offense does not look like what Gus was calling back when he was an actual OC.    Maybe they are trying to accommodate JS and his limitations but they are not running a Gus type offense.  

I no longer know what a Gus type offense looks like.  I mean anything and everything that solidified him as an offensive genius has been totally absent from his offenses at AU for the last 5yrs.  Honestly, I don’t think Gus has any clue what he wants from this offense.

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

Chip Lindsey

Feeling vindicated in this joke after that poop show 

On 9/29/2018 at 10:24 PM, keesler said:

I no longer know what a Gus type offense looks like.  I mean anything and everything that solidified him as an offensive genius has been totally absent from his offenses at AU for the last 5yrs.  Honestly, I don’t think Gus has any clue what he wants from this offense.

2009 Auburn vs West Virginia. If you can somehow find that game on youtube -- THAT is what the Gus offense used to be.

We have fallen so far away from that. So, so far away from that. In that game the predictable runs up the gut were absent, we attacked every portion of the field through the air, we were aggressive, we were giving multiple backs touches, I could go on.

When 2013 happened it may have screwed with Gus' head thinking he could call 3-4 plays a game and still win. Then when he probably was ready to open the offense back up after Nick Marshall left the JJ implosion happened and Gus has neutered himself ever since. Outside of the 2 awesome games at the end of the regular season last year Gus has not looked like the unpredictable, mismatch forcing, aggressive, up-tempo offensive play caller we hired. I would love to know in his own words what has changed and why he's so predictable now.

I mean the JJ thing screwed with his head so much that he thought playing 5 different QBs in a season opener was smart. Dude, do you know how scrambled your brain needs to be to think that's a winning game plan? Sheeeeeesh

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

2009 Auburn vs West Virginia. If you can somehow find that game on youtube -- THAT is what the Gus offense used to be.

We have fallen so far away from that. So, so far away from that. In that game the predictable runs up the gut were absent, we attacked every portion of the field through the air, we were aggressive, we were giving multiple backs touches, I could go on.

When 2013 happened it may have screwed with Gus' head thinking he could call 3-4 plays a game and still win. Then when he probably was ready to open the offense back up after Nick Marshall left the JJ implosion happened and Gus has neutered himself ever since. Outside of the 2 awesome games at the end of the regular season last year Gus has not looked like the unpredictable, mismatch forcing, aggressive, up-tempo offensive play caller we hired. I would love to know in his own words what has changed and why he's so predictable now.

I mean the JJ thing screwed with his head so much that he thought playing 5 different QBs in a season opener was smart. Dude, do you know how scrambled your brain needs to be to think that's a winning game plan? Sheeeeeesh

You're right.

Gus had an offense that didn't even RESEMBLE the 2013 offense before Cam in 2010.  He really played to Cam's strength and that started the whole RO thing.  But even THAT offense had a more dynamic passing game.  Not just because Cam was a good passer but they had all kinda routes.  Not just screens and bombs.  When he got Nick, 2013 just sorta evolved and I think "genius" got to his head.  Honestly, I think they've run the same exact offense since....just without a QB to make it work thus making a 2 page playbook into a 1 page playbook.

55 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You're right.

Gus had an offense that didn't even RESEMBLE the 2013 offense before Cam in 2010.  He really played to Cam's strength and that started the whole RO thing.  But even THAT offense had a more dynamic passing game.  Not just because Cam was a good passer but they had all kinda routes.  Not just screens and bombs.  When he got Nick, 2013 just sorta evolved and I think "genius" got to his head.  Honestly, I think they've run the same exact offense since....just without a QB to make it work thus making a 2 page playbook into a 1 page playbook.

Bingo. 2010 Superman playbook had more creativity than this offense. And this is the offense that needs the creative mojo, not the one where an immortal, mutant QB falls out of the sky onto our campus making everything we run work

Just from watching a few drives of that game, I see the same plays.   I want to see them line up in different formations ,   I formation, shotgun with two backs, pistol and run some different stuff.    It can’t be that hard to work on some basic plays with passing off the basic running plays

IMO, most likely to leave early for the NFL (barring injury this season) -- Coe, Brown and Stidham.

Let's not forget that Ugalast year was as much georgia missing opportunities as it was great Gus and all. 

There were 2 missed Uga TDson a dropped wide open perfect pass behind the D and then the same play again where the WR slips. The O was not super impressive. 

37 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Let's not forget that Ugalast year was as much georgia missing opportunities as it was great Gus and all. 

There were 2 missed Uga TDson a dropped wide open perfect pass behind the D and then the same play again where the WR slips. The O was not super impressive. 

40+ points against UGA is not super impressive O?

22 hours ago, AUDevil said:

40+ points against UGA is not super impressive O?

I don't believe so. Watched that game again recently and I do believe it was more very good luck than an expertly planned and called game. The uat game I was impressed with, Georgia not so much. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:12 PM, AUGunsmith said:

I don't believe so. Watched that game again recently and I do believe it was more very good luck than an expertly planned and called game. The uat game I was impressed with, Georgia not so much. 

UGA did not play well but we kicked their butts. You don't accidentally beat a team that bad

Archived