serious question........

aubiefifty

i joined the navy and asked to go to nam so i could serve on a pt boat. jfk influenced that. they were drawing down at the time and sent me to the pentagon. no one believe me but me and an old gf smoked a joint on the fifth floor in a fan room. when folks ask me what i did in the was i tell them i got high in the pentagon   lol

Dad served in the Army and a member of the 633 Tank Destroyer Batallion........Dad was very quiet man and never discussed the war and I never asked........he faithfully attended his reunions and wasnt till his mid 70's he pulled me aside to show me photos......I can only imagine what he went through.

my grandfather fought in all of ww1 that america fought in after they got involved. i am not sure if he fought in ww2 but he was part of the team overseeing reconstruction. oh and i am pretty sure my grandfather rode a horse in ww1 but not sure in what capacity. sure miss him. i have so many questions. he and my grandmother lived in three different houses on east glenn. on the same block. not sure why they moved so much.

Having a little time on my hands and seeing other's contributions to this thread:

3rd Great Uncle on my father's side, Major Sebron Miles Noble, 17th Texas Cavalry, Confederate States Army. Killed at the battle of Sabine Crossroads, April 8, 1864.

3rd Great Uncle, mother's side. Colonel John Joseph Coppinger, Commander, 15th. New York Volunteer Cavalry, United States Army. Stayed in the army after the Civil War and advanced to the rank of Major General. Buried at Arlington.

Grandfather, father's side: served under Pershing in Mexico, "Chasing Poncho Villa all over the desert."

Other grandfather: served as Methodist Chaplin in Europe, WW1

Mother's Uncle: WW2, Shot up while serving under Patton, North Africa. Came home and used his disability checks to drink himself to death. Died in a V.A. hospital of liver cirrhosis, circa 1958.

Father, Killed in action, South Pacific, WW2. I was six weeks old at the time his plane was shot down. Body finally recovered and funeral held at Arlington, November, 2009.

Father's brother WW2, kept flying missions over Europe long after he'd flown his required number. Came home after the war, founded a major steel company in Houston and is a poster guy for "The greatest generation".

My cousin (Viet Nam) and I were talking about all of this back in April. Our tiny contributions pale in comparison.

From 2003-2010 US Army.

Joined as soon as I could due to 9/11 (like lots of people did), but finished training just in time to deploy with the expeditionary forces into Iraq. Fun times.

Later went the DS route, didn't last long as I blew out my knee and needed multiple surgeries near the start of my drill sergeant career. Was given a choice of a change of MOS and permanent profile or a medical discharge.. still kinda salty about it... and am asked constantly why I have 7 years in service as it's not a number seen that often.

Also interesting tidbit of family history, everyone male on my fathers side has served as far back as I have searched, they all went to war and we've even unknowingly done a round robin of branches. Great-grandfather in the Army, grandfather in Navy, father in Marines, me in Army (we skip the AF)... though I'd rather my kids not go Navy. lmao

Archived