serious question........

aubiefifty

how many of you have served in the military when america was at war?

thank you for your service alex.......if your thumbs up means yes.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thank you for your service alex.......if your thumbs up means yes.

No. I never served. I liked it because I’m interested in the responses. 

I did consider it. The marines had a recruiter working me very hard. I had to be realistic about my health. With help from my mom , who was not fond of the idea ( 1991 Iraq), I decided  being  hypoglycemic would not work to well in basic training much less war. 

I did not serve, but found out long after my time at Auburn that my grandfather had the pull to get me into the Naval Academy.  Had I known, I would have jumped at the chance.

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I'll be the first to say I served as an officer in the US Air Force during Desert Shield and Desert Storm.  Being in the Air Force is "almost" like being in the Military (That is a little Air Force humor for you).  I was only "stateside" and did not get deployed.  I was an engineer that worked in the Acquisition of Electronics for the use of the guys that actually fight.

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I served in the Navy during the 1st Gulf War (aka Desert Shield and Desert Storm), but never in any combat capacity.  I was stationed on a submarine.

33 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I served in the Navy during the 1st Gulf War (aka Desert Shield and Desert Storm), but never in any combat capacity.  I was stationed on a submarine.

you stood up when your country needed you. thanks for your service.

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

I'll be the first to say I served as an officer in the US Air Force during Desert Shield and Desert Storm.  Being in the Air Force is "almost" like being in the Military (That is a little Air Force humor for you).  I was only "stateside" and did not get deployed.  I was an engineer that worked in the Acquisition of Electronics for the use of the guys that actually fight.

thank you for your service!

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I have not. My grandfather served.

Thankful for those who’ve answered the call.

my grandfather whom i was told taught horseback riding at rotc in auburn served wwi and ww2. my dad who played for auburn served in korea. i spent almost four years in the pentagon during the tail end of nam. one of my "rightie stances is i often thik all kids should serve one or two years this country would be a better place.

Did not serve but did a lot of work on Benning during the meat of my career. Was continually amazed at the work ethic and professionalism by our military people. On occasion would have a high ranking officer and even a few generals decide to visit a project. A lot of prep would go into a visit and the thing I always noted is that they would come on site and give a common laborer as much attention, respect, and appreciation as company CEO  if not more.

On the coast close to Tyndall now,  those folk a great and talented people. We get a lot of free air shows and flyovers which never get old. Sure feel safe having  those guys flying over at night. Ever get the chance  get on the water behind Tyndall, Andrews Sound, we fish there a often. Being on Tyndall property it is undeveloped. Makes you realize God did not mean for man to try and improve some things.  

I have not.  I was in college when the first Gulf War broke out and had some concern that they might have a draft, but that was it.  My father and uncles all served in the National Guard or reserves.  One of my grandfathers served in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific theater.  Wouldn't buy a Japanese car the rest of his life.  

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Wouldn't buy a Japanese car the rest of his life.

I knew a few builders that would not allow a Mikita tool on their job when they came out.

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

I knew a few builders that would not allow a Mikita tool on their job when they came out.

My mom was super nervous the first time she went back home for a visit after getting a Nissan Pathfinder (her first foreign car).  If it bothered him, he never said anything.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

you stood up when your country needed you. thanks for your service.

Thanks, but mostly, I just needed to grow up.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

One of my grandfathers served in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific theater.  Wouldn't buy a Japanese car the rest of his life.  

Similarly, you rarely see many elderly people at a Japanese steak house or sushi restaurant. 

4 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Although I wasn't in the military, I worked for the US Army Corps of Engineers my whole career as a project manager/engineer in construction.  I volunteered to be deployed to Saudi Arabia during Operations Desert Shield/Storm.  We did so much paving over there for various military units that we maxed out the capacity of the country's asphalt & concrete plants and had to start prioritizing.  Funny anecdote about the Air Force over there -- they all had air-conditioned tents.  The only Army unit I found that had air-conditioned tents was the MASH unit (naturally.)   

31 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Although I wasn't in the military, I worked for the US Army Corps of Engineers my whole career as a project manager/engineer in construction.  I volunteered to be deployed to Saudi Arabia during Operations Desert Shield/Storm.  We did so much paving over there for various military units that we maxed out the capacity of the country's asphalt & concrete plants and had to start prioritizing.  Funny anecdote about the Air Force over there -- they all had air-conditioned tents.  The only Army unit I found that had air-conditioned tents was the MASH unit (naturally.)   

Well, I went on Temporary Duty (TDY) to Army Bases all over the United States during my first assignment at Eglin AFB.  We were working with the beginnings of GPS and we were traveling around testing at different Army, Navy and Air Force base Test Ranges.  Every time I traveled to an Army Post and stayed in Bachelor Officer's Quarters on Post, I had to sign a waiver stating that Army housing was Sub-standard for Air Force Officers.  

I will also tell you that the coldest I've ever been was at Ft. Hood in Killeen Texas.  The GPS satellites were not in view until about 1:00AM in late Jan or early Feb in 1987 so our test ran from about 1:30AM until about 5:00AM.  The space shuttle that exploded in Jan 1986 had several GPS satellites in it that, of course were not deployed, so there were only about 4 satellites that were in orbit and worked at that time.  I don't even think is was below freezing at the time but all the Army guys were out in the field with their BDU's and boots and parkas.  Being stationed in Florida, all I had was the stupid polyester pants with a blue dress shirt and a very thin jacket (think windbreaker with no lining).  The fact that I had not slept for over 24 hours I'm sure contributed to the bone chilling cold I felt.  Anyway, when I returned to Eglin, I filled out the paper work for my boss to sign to get me BDU's, boots and a filed jacket issued.  He signed and I was the first guy in my unit to have all that stuff.  We were issued the olive drab (fatigues) when I in processed at Eglin, but the Air Force considered that a work/utility uniform and I could not wear that away from base.

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I did. Viet Nam era. Enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. Jet fighter mechanic. I joined the Air Force after dropping out of high school and then attended college after my four years in the military were up. No need to "thank me for my service", though I appreciate the thought. I got a lot good out of being in the service. I gave the Air Force an honest four year's work and in return they paid my way while I grew from a troubled teenage dropout to a young man with a GED and goals in life. Fair enough trade and I "thank the service" for what it did for me.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I did. Viet Nam era. Enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. Jet fighter mechanic. I joined the Air Force after dropping out of high school and then attended college after my four years in the military were up. No need to "thank me for my service", though I appreciate the thought. I got a lot good out of being in the service. I gave the Air Force an honest four year's work and in return they paid my way while I grew from a troubled teenage dropout to a young man with a GED and goals in life. Fair enough trade and I "thank the service" for what it did for me.

thank you for your service mikey. i respect anyone who steps up to serve their country.

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I have not.  I was in college when the first Gulf War broke out and had some concern that they might have a draft, but that was it.  My father and uncles all served in the National Guard or reserves.  One of my grandfathers served in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific theater.  Wouldn't buy a Japanese car the rest of his life.  

My Grandfather was in the Navy in WWII as well. He was on the USS Hunter Liggett. 

My daddy was Air Force, protected civil rights activists in AL but never war. 

8 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I served with an Army Logistics Group Fort Sherman, Panama during the onset of the Gulf War. Was in Bamberg, Germany attached with an Army Logistics Group on 911. 

My Dad was 100% disabled from WWII fought in the Philippines so my name was never put in the draft. They had some kind of rule about being 100% disabled back then. Lucky me I guess. He spend 6 years in VA hosp. in San Francisco after the war. I had two uncles received purple hearts from fighting in the Pacific. None of the three ever spoke about their experiences well my Dad did a little.

Archived