normally i do not like ted cruz.........

aubiefifty

but i give him much respect for this.

politico.com

Ted Cruz: ‘Vote for the Democrat’ over the GOP Nazi

By Jack Shafer

3-4 minutes

Sen. Ted Cruz’s comments came after a POLITICO story detailed the Illinois Republican Party’s failed efforts to oust a Holocaust denier from the ballot or offer up an alternative for Republican voters. | J. Scott Applewhite/AP Photo

CHICAGO — Texas GOP Sen. Ted Cruz on Friday urged residents of a Chicago-area congressional district to vote for a Democrat if they must, to avoid giving even one vote to an avowed Nazi who won the GOP nomination.

Cruz’s comments, made on Twitter, came after a POLITICO story detailed the Illinois Republican Party’s failed efforts to oust Holocaust denier Arthur Jones from the ballot or offer up an alternative for Republican voters.

Story Continued Below

“This is horrific. An avowed Nazi running for Congress,” tweeted Cruz. “To the good people of Illinois, you have two reasonable choices: write in another candidate, or vote for the Democrat. This bigoted fool should receive ZERO votes.”

The tweet generated nearly 12,000 likes and 4,900 retweets by Friday evening.

Jones is running against Democratic Rep. Dan Lipinski in a heavily Democratic district that includes portions of Chicago and the south suburbs.

This week, state Republicans let a deadline pass that would have allowed them to run someone as a third-party candidate to provide Republican voters with an alternative candidate to vote for. The GOP said the ballot requirements, including having to collect more than 14,000 signatures, was too burdensome and costly in a district Democrats dominate.

Instead, the party said it will seek to draft a write-in candidate for the general election.

Republicans missed several chances, including in the primary, to challenge Jones or oust him from the ballot. The party failed to recruit a candidate to challenge him in the March primary where he went unopposed, did not draft a write-in candidate in the primary, and failed to knock him off the ballot by challenging his signature petitions.

Jones celebrated his role in sidelining Republicans, telling POLITICO this week: “I snookered them.”

Missing out on the latest scoops? Sign up for POLITICO Playbook and get the latest news, every morning — in your inbox.

2 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I believe in giving credit where due, but his support of the Nazi in the White House is more telling. 

i am pretty sure they are making ted toe the party line because i am pretty sure ted does not like trump.............even a little bit.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am pretty sure they are making ted toe the party line because i am pretty sure ted does not like trump.............even a little bit.

After Trump insultedhis wife and that stunt at the RNC, you’d think so. But he hasn’t taken a stand against Trump when it mattered. 

that is fine elle but we cannot stop for a min and applaud him for his stand he just took?

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that is fine elle but we cannot stop for a min and applaud him for his stand he just took?

I’ll applaud him when he starts holding POTUS accountable. He did a good thing here, but I’d hold off on the standing ovation. 

Even blind squirrels can find a nut. 

http://time.com/collection/most-influential-people-2018/5217621/donald-trump-2/

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Ted’s an unprincipled opportunist. Senators are as independent as they wanna be.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

What’s the option? Endorsing the nazi? Refusing to criticize the nazi? Not a bold move by any stretch, but if you want to believe otherwise, go ahead.

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Ted’s an unprincipled opportunist. Senators are as independent as they wanna be.

True. Think he feels a threat from Beto and is trying to give himself a veneer of moderation. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Not much of a stand.  This guy is destined to lose and Cruz knows it.  More like opportunism to posture.

On 6/30/2018 at 8:24 AM, GiveEmElle said:

After Trump insultedhis wife and that stunt at the RNC, you’d think so. But he hasn’t taken a stand against Trump when it mattered. 

I don’t think he’s trying to battle trump for the sake of battling trump. I detest both. Constantly picking fights with the president isn’t going to help him much during his next primary. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I don’t think he’s trying to battle trump for the sake of battling trump. I detest both. Constantly picking fights with the president isn’t going to help him much during his next primary. 

Absolutely. He is looking out for his political career, nothing more or less. 

Archived