Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

@AuCivilEng1  I notice you didn’t say one name of a certain main eventer of the current guys you like. Hmmm very interesting. I am taking it personal!!! 

IMG_5358.jpeg

image.gif.a4bd89f63cf40e91bf8f5bf7f275266c.gif

Still love the corny s*** lol.

I think making uncle Howdy Bo’s intrusive thoughts is good lol. 

• Like 1

That was a damned good vignette. 

On 6/23/2024 at 12:42 AM, AUBwins said:

They keep getting pat on the back however by TWD so nothing will change.  Like they were still 3rd in the time slot etc. Ratings are only used for advertisement dollars negotiations anyways.  With streaming now, there is so much more involved.  I'll be glad when WWE finally goes to Netflix, then maybe this Ratings conversation will finally end.  It's just exhausting that it's the only conversation when in reality both companies have lost viewership numbers year to year in the TV ratings department (Although we clearly know WWE for sure is the best it's been with turnouts since attitude era) Overall AEW has a perception problem more than anything in terms of their flaws being put out there more with everyone groomed to a certain way wrestling was presented. Heck I hardly ever watch it live. I typically watch everything on delay though.  By the time Wednesday comes around, if I have watched majority of Raw and NXT as I have lately, it's hard to sit down for another 2 hours in a household that doesn't care to have it on the TV. I think more people are watching wrestling Monday and Tuesday night as well with the latest interest in NXT. Just can't tie up every night watching. 

That being said, I do feel at this point AEW is only getting the die hards tuning in and their niche audience.  We've talked about it before how creative is just not consistent.  This week was actually one of the best ones they have had in a while, but it's not consistent enough to keep others tuned in. Also think, while Forbidden Door gives bangar "dream" matches in the international wrestling landscape, more people tune out during this time.  Sadly, that's when Tony does better work lol.  

Definitely think it's time they have a harder split of rosters and make Collision a different looking product than Dynamite. They used to have these intro promos to start the night etc. 

I just wish Tony would let someone else lead creative on the main TV shows.  I have never fully liked Shane McMahon as an on screen character but him coming in might actually spice it up if he took some creative control.  The thought is growing on me. 

Bottom line though, ratings are not going to end AEW as it is not even used in negotiations for a new deal, and they will actually get a sweet TV and Streaming deal that's an elevation from what they got now in money.  Especially since TWD lost the NBA. But no excuses for how inconsistent the story telling has been and how he can't put on shows that make sense every week where everything flows.  

Sorry so long.  Just started going down the rabbit hole a bit 😆 

Let me answer this rant with a simple question.

Who the hell is Hechicero and why should I care that MJF is fighting with him? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

Let me answer this rant with a simple question.

Who the hell is Hechicero and why should I care that MJF is fighting with him? 

Exactly. MJF basically eluded to this in one of his promos "I know I'm just going to get some schmuck from either Mexico or Japan to challenge me for Forbidden Door ..." 

FD in reality doesn't have a chance to tell a story without short builds because of the once a year nature of it with these "collaborations." That said, man they could and should have gotten someone closer to his level at least lol.  

The best build for FD with international talent is the women.  Mina from stardom has been interwoven for half a year in the Toni, Mariah interest.  Also Steph Vacquer holding the women's Strong belt and facing Mercedes has a back story from a year ago.  Other than that, not much else.  But I think Tony accepts this event as a one off every year. But you can expect lower interest in the process of it.  

Anyways .. WWE is cooking with these 4 main story builds. LIV, Wyatt Sicks, Bloodline, Drew/Punk, and a 5th with the World title build with Gunther getting back in the mix etc. 

NXT’s ratings fell off. HBK you know what you must do. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

That walkout would get over so damned quick it’s not even funny. And the guy can work. Make it happen. 

• Like 1

Whatever they’re paying Paul Heyman, it isn’t enough. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And say what you will about Solo but the hate he’s getting at this point is genuine heel heat. People want to see Roman Superman punch his teeth out the back of his head so much right now lol.

He's exactly what he needs to be for this angle and is doing the best work of his career. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AGREE.

Full statement: 

Last nights Bloodline segment to end SmackDown was one of the greatest in the saga of the Bloodline. Paul Heyman hit a grand slam. As soon as he yelled YOU ARE NOT MY TRIBAL CHIEF to Solo Sikoa, I am not afraid to admit, I got a little teary eyed after he was blasted with a Samoan Spike from Solo. The struggle we have seen Heyman play is so incredible and his emotion is felt in those watching. There will never be another Paul Heyman. The attack on him was the final chapter that needed to be written to usher back Roman Reigns, who after 7 failed years of forcing him on us by Vince McMahon before he played the role of Tribal Chief Roman Reigns, will be the biggest babyface in the entire industry. This administration did something in one year the last couldn’t figure out to do. His return is going to be one of the biggest reactions, possibly ever in company history.

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

And say what you will about Solo but the hate he’s getting at this point is genuine heel heat. People want to see Roman Superman punch his teeth out the back of his so much right now lol.

He's exactly what he needs to be for this angle and is doing the best work of his career. 

I really liked what I saw from him last night

That pop for Heyman declaring he's NOT the TC was the loudest I've heard in a long while.  Not sure if it was all genuine or piped in some but I think it was genuine enough. 

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That pop for Heyman declaring he's NOT the TC was the loudest I've heard in a long while.  Not sure if it was all genuine or piped in some but I think it was genuine enough. 

They wouldn’t need to pipe in MSG

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

That's true. 

6 hours ago, AUDub said:

Whatever they’re paying Paul Heyman, it isn’t enough. 

🐐🐐

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

And say what you will about Solo but the hate he’s getting at this point is genuine heel heat. People want to see Roman Superman punch his teeth out the back of his so much right now lol.

Most improved talent on the roster, I acknowledge solo as my tribal chief! ☝️

@AuCivilEng1 nowhere to be found. He’s waiting until the final boss returns so he can relive his childhood which is all he really wants to do! 😂😂 he can’t move on from the attitude era like so many….

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

They don’t have to do that anymore anywhere. They def did when Smackdown was the b show and was taped for so many years.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

@AuCivilEng1 nowhere to be found. He’s waiting until the final boss returns so he can relive his childhood which is all he really wants to do! 😂😂 he can’t move on from the attitude era like so many….

Dude I’m starting to get this level of fandom vibes from you😂

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Absolutely!!!! Do you not!? Couldn’t be me…..

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Dave Wills is a nice guy and in context that clip isn’t as ridiculous as people make it out to be. Over the top, sure but he is and was a smark (which we all are here).

In context he was talking to his heroes during what was a very tough time (that particular week was the one in which we lost Eddie and Sherri),and he was thanking them for what they’d put themselves through for our entertainment. He got a little overcome but hey the guy enjoys wrestling and hates the wear these guys put on themselves.

Corny and many others have defended the guy and I would too. 

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

Dave Wills is a nice guy and in context that clip isn’t as ridiculous as people make it out to be. Over the top, sure but he is and was a smark (which we all are here).

In context he was talking to his heroes during what was a very tough time (that particular week was the one in which we lost Eddie and Sherri),and he was thanking them for what they’d put themselves through for our entertainment. He got a little overcome but hey the guy enjoys wrestling and hates the wear these guys put on themselves.

Corny and many others have defended the guy and I would too. 

I mean I don’t have any issues with him. He’s just posted obviously super passionate about wrestling. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean I don’t have any issues with him. He’s just posted obviously super passionate about wrestling. 

Lol you know it’s all love. You are like a brother to me. Just having fun and messing around. I want you riding shotgun with us on this magical ride the bloodline are taking us on fam!

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I am too. It’s a unique form of narrative fiction that you can’t duplicate anywhere else. Most times it’s silly, but when it’s done well, it does stuff no other form of storytelling could possibly duplicate.

In a fair world Heyman would be up for an Emmy, in my opinion. Add in that he took a huge bump (for him) to get the story over, what other art form has people with that level of dedication?