Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

They could not have presented the Wyatt 6 any better.  That was a very good RAW, best I've seen in a long while.  Everything flowed. 

That Uncle Howdy segment was some of the best work I’ve ever seen a wrestling promotion do. The build up all the way to the final crescendo last night. Damn. HHH is friggin killing it. He knows what the people want and he’s making it happen. 

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

They could not have presented the Wyatt 6 any better.  That was a very good RAW, best I've seen in a long while.  Everything flowed. 

Seth’s return thankfully didn’t get leaked to the dirtsheets. Good way to start the show with a bang.

I like Drew and hope to see him get a run but he just plays the indignant victim so well. Eventually we’re gonna get the Punk blow-off and it’s gonna be glorious. 

RIP Chad Gable. Jokes aside he’s doing some of the best work of his career right now on this heel run.

Sheamus and Bron was booked exactly as it needed to be. Both end up looking threatening. Bron’s selling for Sheamus makes much more sense than it did vs Ilya.

I grew up during the high concept era and it’s good to see with the Wyatt’s lol. 

• Like 1

Especially grateful to Seth not being revealed

Nikki cross was the perfect way to start that segment too. That was creepy AS.

• Like 1

Sick ..

20240618_122808.jpg

Pfft

IMG_5016.thumb.jpeg.40557f59bcd30321f06648c46141c041.jpeg

Well that was the best opening segment in months. 

Jesus this angle is amazing lol. 

AND THERE’S FATU

That Smackdown cooked. 

Heard it was 🔥 from many sources.  I only saw a few clips from it.  Fatu already looks to overshadow Solo

I’m worried about @AuCivilEng1…. He’s giving me strong only watches and cares during mania season vibes… say it ain’t so!!! Say I’m wrong!!!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Last night was probably the best Fatu has looked. He’s been hitting the gym hard for the major leagues. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m worried about @AuCivilEng1…. He’s giving me strong only watches and cares during mania season vibes… say it ain’t so!!! Say I’m wrong!!!

I lose interest quickly if the story line isn’t something I’m feeling. Post mania was kind of slow, for me. But this Wyatt 6 stuff caught my interest again. I haven’t been a Monday/Friday every week watcher in years. But I keep up with it enough to be able to tune in when my interest peeks. 

I also have 2 toddlers and a wife who hatesssssss wrestling. When I say hates, you don’t understand. She sh*t all over the Wyatt 6 debut video I made her watch. Said “I literally almost fell asleep”.

• Angry 1

@GwillMac6If I’m being honest, I’m not a huge fan of the modern day talent. I have my guys I like (LA, Cody, Gunther, Awesome Truth, Seth, Roman) mainly. But these new blood guys are boring af, dude. I miss Rock, Austin, Angle, Jericho,  HHH. Those guys had a ton of charisma and weren’t afraid to look goofy and funny. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

@GwillMac6If I’m being honest, I’m not a huge fan of the modern day talent. I have my guys I like (LA, Cody, Gunther, Awesome Truth, Seth, Roman) mainly. But these new blood guys are boring af, dude. I miss Rock, Austin, Angle, Jericho,  HHH. Those guys had a ton of charisma and weren’t afraid to look goofy and funny. 

Lol looks like you have plenty of “new” talent you like to keep your attention! That’s a lot of guys man! Ughhhhh not you to!!!! Another wrestling fan who can’t ever move past the attitude era because we were kids during it!!! You are breaking my heart right now. I thought you weren’t one of those guys! 

IMG_0371.gif

21 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I lose interest quickly if the story line isn’t something I’m feeling. Post mania was kind of slow, for me. But this Wyatt 6 stuff caught my interest again. I haven’t been a Monday/Friday every week watcher in years. But I keep up with it enough to be able to tune in when my interest peeks. 

I also have 2 toddlers and a wife who hatesssssss wrestling. When I say hates, you don’t understand. She sh*t all over the Wyatt 6 debut video I made her watch. Said “I literally almost fell asleep”.

IMG_0400.gif

@AuCivilEng1  I notice you didn’t say one name of a certain main eventer of the current guys you like. Hmmm very interesting. I am taking it personal!!! 

IMG_5358.jpeg

Edited by GwillMac6

If this doesn’t get the alarm bells ringing over at AEW not much will.

This week was probably an anomaly and I expect next week to be better but they’ve been trending down for some time now with no sign of stopping. 

• Wow 1

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

If this doesn’t get the alarm bells ringing over at AEW not much will.

This week was probably an anomaly and I expect next week to be better but they’ve been trending down for some time now with no sign of stopping. 

They keep getting pat on the back however by TWD so nothing will change.  Like they were still 3rd in the time slot etc. Ratings are only used for advertisement dollars negotiations anyways.  With streaming now, there is so much more involved.  I'll be glad when WWE finally goes to Netflix, then maybe this Ratings conversation will finally end.  It's just exhausting that it's the only conversation when in reality both companies have lost viewership numbers year to year in the TV ratings department (Although we clearly know WWE for sure is the best it's been with turnouts since attitude era) Overall AEW has a perception problem more than anything in terms of their flaws being put out there more with everyone groomed to a certain way wrestling was presented. Heck I hardly ever watch it live. I typically watch everything on delay though.  By the time Wednesday comes around, if I have watched majority of Raw and NXT as I have lately, it's hard to sit down for another 2 hours in a household that doesn't care to have it on the TV. I think more people are watching wrestling Monday and Tuesday night as well with the latest interest in NXT. Just can't tie up every night watching. 

That being said, I do feel at this point AEW is only getting the die hards tuning in and their niche audience.  We've talked about it before how creative is just not consistent.  This week was actually one of the best ones they have had in a while, but it's not consistent enough to keep others tuned in. Also think, while Forbidden Door gives bangar "dream" matches in the international wrestling landscape, more people tune out during this time.  Sadly, that's when Tony does better work lol.  

Definitely think it's time they have a harder split of rosters and make Collision a different looking product than Dynamite. They used to have these intro promos to start the night etc. 

I just wish Tony would let someone else lead creative on the main TV shows.  I have never fully liked Shane McMahon as an on screen character but him coming in might actually spice it up if he took some creative control.  The thought is growing on me. 

Bottom line though, ratings are not going to end AEW as it is not even used in negotiations for a new deal, and they will actually get a sweet TV and Streaming deal that's an elevation from what they got now in money.  Especially since TWD lost the NBA. But no excuses for how inconsistent the story telling has been and how he can't put on shows that make sense every week where everything flows.  

Sorry so long.  Just started going down the rabbit hole a bit 😆 

Edited by AUBwins

Stuff like this needs to be included on the main broadcast.  Would go a long way in the perception of telling stories and keeping things relevant.  Talking about 3 minutes of content here.  You can work that in with shortening a few matches by a minute each.  This what Tony needs to understand.  This is good stuff in relation to the stories they are associated with.  They used to have backstage interviews after the continental classic that were raw and real interviews.  They were great.  But again on the YouTube channel afterwards.  

🙂

So evidently Smackdown this week was the first show of the new Head Writer of Smackdown.  Talk about elevating the right guy for the job!!  He was a longtime writer that just received this promotion last week.  Bar is high now 😆 

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You are breaking my heart right now. I thought you weren’t one of those guys! 

IMG_0371.gif

image.gif.48b60f7e2277463be5e5492bffda5564.gif

image.gif.96844a9ae0a751b0779338cdc89c86f6.gif