upside and downside of 2 QB system

aubiefifty

a two qb system? i know we will probably never do it but it seems like it might be harder for other teams to prepare for us? the reason i ask if joey g was in a two qb system and he sure looks good and i wonder if the other qb he shared time with was that good as well. also if one qb went down we would pretty much have a replacement on hand under a two qb system. anyone want to add the pro's and con's? and yes i do understand not many qb's would go for the two qb system. anyone want to contribute?

Below is the list of positives for moving to a two QB system:

Any questions?

Depends on what you call a 2-QB "system". I used to refer to Florida's 2006 offense a 2-QB "system", but someone correctly pointed out to me that it was really just running Tebow in for what amounted to Wildcat packages. It obviously worked quite well for them, and I'm not opposed to us doing something similar with Malik or Joey.

Now, if you're talking about rotating guys every other possession or anything close to that, it seems to me like it would be even more difficult for us to prepare the offense to be executed properly than it would be for defenses to defend it. 

I know....

How about a 4 QB system with some whirly-birds thrown in?

GENIUS, I TELL YOU!!!

Let's try a two running back system first and see how that goes.  That is a change with some potential. 

Also, maybe throwing a pass to the tight end.  Nobody is gonna see that coming...

3 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Any questions?

I wish I has been smart enough to post this first.

7 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Any questions?

could have locked the thread after this post!

In honesty there could be some pluses if the system was run truely as a two QB system. Not rotating each series but more like the spring game by using one the first half and one the second. Here are some pluses.

make opposing defenses divide their practice time in two.

create quality backup in case of injuries.

give you two different match ups against different type defenses

you see this in other sports like basketball using a tall or short line up, or baseball using fielding versus hitting lineups.

you would have to have two quality QBs with different styles maybe an RPO vs pro pass.

just my thought but fire away.

• WarTiger changed the title to upside and downside of 2 QB system

wow tough crowd!  no need to lock the thread tho........waves.

On Monday, January 08, 2018 at 10:52 AM, AURealist said:

Let's try a two running back system first and see how that goes.  That is a change with some potential. 

Also, maybe throwing a pass to the tight end.  Nobody is gonna see that coming...

amen. gus used johnson up all year and when we got to sec championship and bowl game he had nothing left in the tank. cost us a sec championship and trip to playoffs

On 1/8/2018 at 10:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Depends on what you call a 2-QB "system". I used to refer to Florida's 2006 offense a 2-QB "system", but someone correctly pointed out to me that it was really just running Tebow in for what amounted to Wildcat packages. It obviously worked quite well for them, and I'm not opposed to us doing something similar with Malik or Joey.

Now, if you're talking about rotating guys every other possession or anything close to that, it seems to me like it would be even more difficult for us to prepare the offense to be executed properly than it would be for defenses to defend it. 

Auburn experimented with that crap and it didn't turn out too good.

21 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

In honesty there could be some pluses if the system was run truely as a two QB system. Not rotating each series but more like the spring game by using one the first half and one the second. Here are some pluses.

make opposing defenses divide their practice time in two.

create quality backup in case of injuries.

give you two different match ups against different type defenses

you see this in other sports like basketball using a tall or short line up, or baseball using fielding versus hitting lineups.

you would have to have two quality QBs with different styles maybe an RPO vs pro pass.

just my thought but fire away.

What in the world has put these things into your head today?

Seriously, you've witnessed first hand Gus run a multi QB operation, you've watched a wildcat QB package.  You've seen what happens when we've had no clear plan B to plug in when a QB goes down.  

Gus has a hard enough time game planning for the opponent and stepping outside of his scripted plays and schemes.  He's still stubborn and forces certain plays even when they prove to not be effective in live game situations.

Why in the world task him with having to do double duty with a 2 QB system?

It's probably a valid conversation, but I'd rather think about being able to actually execute the popular "next man up" concept.  Last night was just one last example of that at the most critical time and position.  I have thought about it a lot before I posted and I think it's a very clear indication of where your coaching staff and specifically those individuals stand in terms of quality work.  Some examples...of course the Patriots, think back to the '15 season and all the QB's that Baylor had go down.  That team in crimson last night had lost a ton at LB.  The flip side that comes to mind is Michigan.  I think Harbaugh happens to be significantly overrated.  When Speight went down they had nothing left and, like us last year, are pinning their hopes on a transfer at QB (Patterson).  For obvious reasons, right now I don't have the confidence in our offensive staff to adequately develop one QB for outstanding SEC play.  Much less two.  

2 hours ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

I would go for a two RB system, or even a 3 RB system.

Oh you're pushing it now.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:09 PM, keesler said:

What in the world has put these things into your head today?

Seriously, you've witnessed first hand Gus run a multi QB operation, you've watched a wildcat QB package.  You've seen what happens when we've had no clear plan B to plug in when a QB goes down.  

Gus has a hard enough time game planning for the opponent and stepping outside of his scripted plays and schemes.  He's still stubborn and forces certain plays even when they prove to not be effective in live game situations.

Why in the world task him with having to do double duty with a 2 QB system?

If you look I wrote it his before the CFCG. Then look at the CFCG result. Bingo . Just what I said swapped a good running QB for a better passing QB and uga went down. Most defenses are like most offenses, one trick ponies. Thanks for proving my point. By the way when we say dual threat QB it usually means a running QB that throws a little. I also said plainly not like Gus’s system. Two distinctly different talented QBs running two different offensive styles.

Technically, you could consider what AU did this year with KJ lining up in the Wildcat a two-QB system. When KJ lines up in the Wildcat, he is the QB, although I don't know if I would call it a system.

I don't recall a team in recent memory who ran a two-QB system effectively. It's hard enough for one QB to get in an offensive rhythm.

Archived