who replaces kj and petway?

aubiefifty

Who replaces Kerryon Johnson, Kamryn Pettway in Auburn's backfield in 2018?

The departures of Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway leave Auburn without its best two running backs heading into 2018 and while the Tigers have depth at the position, who will start is far from obvious.

Johnson and Pettway were both proven players when healthy and Auburn, which has had at least one 1,000-yard rusher every season since 2009, does not have a back who's shown they're capable as an every-down runner or pass protector.

However, this isn't necessarily a cause for mass panic. The same was said entering the 2016 season, when Pettway emerged as a 1,200-yard rusher and Johnson's workload more than tripled as he nearly reach 900 rushing yards.

While Kam Martin, Malik Miller and Devan Barrett all return and have playing experience, only Martin barely had more than a handful of meaningful carries this season. Added to the mix will be JaTarvious Whitlow, who redshirted, and true freshmen Asa Martin and Shaun Shivers and the Tigers could pursue another running back before signing day.

Kam Martin had 74 carries for 453 yards with two touchdowns, but just 16 of those runs for 94 yards came in situations in which the score was within seven points or less. Martin also had three carries for 56 yards and a touchdown.

Whether he could handle a 20-plus carries a game and run between the tackles consistently is simply unknown. While Kam Martin showed flashes and big-play ability, the coaching staff's refusal to play him in more meaningful spots illustrates they have serious doubts.

Miller had 34 carries for 135 yards and a touchdown and three catches for 24 yards this season, but all but three of those carries for 10 yards came with the game well in-hand.

Though he had just 14 carries for 79 yards and 10 catches for 33 yards with a touchdown, Barrett might be the closest to an every-down runner among the three returning backs. His lack of reps this season had far more to do with the depth in front of him than skill and his upside was considered extremely high as a recruit.

Whitlow's play in bowl practices drew rave reviews and he'll have a chance to show what he can do in the spring.

Coach Gus Malzahn compared Asa Martin to Johnson and the newcomer might get a chance to show that immediately. The Alabama state Gatorade Player of the Year ran for 2,228 yards and 33 touchdowns as a senior at Austin High School.

Shivers is 5-foot-7 and 175 pounds, making him more in the mold of Kam Martin and Malzahn compared him to Onterio McCalebb.

Auburn has not had to use a by-committee approach in the backfield much other than during the 2015 season, when Peyton Barber topped 1,000 yards and Jovon Robinson and Roc Thomas each started at points but dealt with injuries. Due to the lack of proven options, the Tigers may have to rely on more than one or two rushers to shoulder the workload next season.

I'm pulling for Whitlow. We need a horse and he has good size and decent quicks.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

I'm pulling for Whitlow. We need a horse and he has good size and decent quicks.

Hearing from many that Whitlow is one to watch. Seems to be making big strides

Devan Barrett. A absolute filthy stud! Is the total package for a rb once he puts on some more muscle. Which he should do with a full offseason in a college weight program!

Just read an article on Alabama’s running back, Harris.  The most carries he’s gotten all year is 17.    This is how AU should use their backs.   AU doesn’t have the 6’3 235lb back that can take 30 carries a game 

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Just read an article on Alabama’s running back, Harris.  The most carries he’s gotten all year is 17.    This is how AU should use their backs.   AU doesn’t have the 6’3 235lb back that can take 30 carries a game 

I disagree completely.   They mis-used all of their backs and their OC should be canned for having that much talent and failing to use.   With Jalen and Harris they should have rivaled Nick and Tre but we’re not even close. 

6 minutes ago, lala said:

I disagree completely.   They mis-used all of their backs and their OC should be canned for having that much talent and failing to use.   With Jalen and Harris they should have rivaled Nick and Tre but we’re not even close. 

Going to the NC game with everyone on the offensive end completely healthy. Something must be working. Not saying their any better than what we have but it is a tad bit ridiculous to can any of their coordinators at this moment.

Just now, DAG said:

Going to the NC game with everyone on the offensive end completely healthy. Something must be working. 

D-fence.    They scored 10 pats offensively v. Clempson and stunk it up against us and MSU.  Other than that they played no one.   

4 minutes ago, lala said:

D-fence.    They scored 10 pats offensively v. Clempson and stunk it up against us and MSU.  Other than that they played no one.   

Glad you brought this up. Let's see how they compare in the SEC. #1 scoring offense, #2 rushing offense with fewer attempts than Auburn and UGA and #4 in total yards in the SEC slightly behind Auburn by 2 yards. Yeah, fire him. Mind you, Auburn and UGA has played 14 games compared to Alabama's 13

18 minutes ago, lala said:

Just a reminder to all that we owned Jalen Hurts all night. 113 passing yards before tbe garbage pass at the end of the game was completed and counted despite him throwing well over the line of scrimmage. 

Just now, DAG said:

Glad you brought this up. Let's see how they compare in the SEC. #1 scoring offense, #2 rushing offense with fewer attempts than Auburn and UGA and #4 in total yards in the SEC slightly behind Auburn by 2 yards. Yeah, fire him.

They use jalen like a one man show.  They have the best 1-2-3 punch of running backs in the SEC and no one would guess that.   No offense but they are not close to being a prolific offense.   

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Just a reminder to all that we owned Jalen Hurts all night. 113 passing yards before tbe garbage pass at the end of the game was completed and counted despite him throwing well over the line of scrimmage. 

I agree with you, that is my point.  With their backs they should be unstoppable.   We haven’t had backs like those in  years.  

Just now, lala said:

They use jalen like a one man show.  They have the best 1-2-3 punch of running backs in the SEC and no one would guess that.   No offense but they are not close to being a prolific offense.   

I never said they were a prolific offense. What I said was it's a ridiculous statement to say they should fire their offensive coordinator when they have the #1 scoring offense in the SEC. You don't have to agree with how they utilize their offense but to say something like that just doesn't make any sense. About as bad as the Chargers firing Marty for a 14 win season.

Just now, DAG said:

I never said they were a prolific offense. What I said was it's a ridiculous statement to say they should fire their offensive coordinator when they have the #1 scoring offense in the SEC. You don't have to agree with how they utilize their offense but to say something like that just doesn't make any sense. About as bad as the Chargers firing Marty for a 14 win season.

It is just a failure to use their RB talent

I am glad, don’t get me wrong.     

I agree with you, that is my point.  With their backs they should be unstoppable.   We haven’t had backs like those in  years.  

It’s pretty funny because we think our other backs need more touches, but I don’t think they feed Damian Harris enough. That Jacobs guy is good but Scarborough looks like Tarzan runs like Jane.

Just now, lala said:

It is just a failure to use their RB talent

I am glad, don’t get me wrong.     

I agree with that. Jalen is their RB Like Cam is the Panthers RB

To the original post, I am not saying run one back 30 x’s a game but Harris should never get less than 20 in a big game.  They only had 3 or 4 of those this yr.   

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hurts is way harder to contain than a qb like fromm. which makes our second defensive performance against fromm all the more troublesome. We usually thrive against pocket passers. That was the main thing that stood out to me in the sec title game. Our DL should of repeated their performance from the first game or at least come close. They did not get home hardly any.

To the original post, I am not saying run one back 30 x’s a game but Harris should never get less than 20 in a big game.  They only had 3 or 4 of those this yr.   

Wow. I didn’t realize that was your original point.  I guess great minds think alike. I believe Harris had a mere 7 or 8 carries against Auburn.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Wow. I didn’t realize that was your original point.  I guess great minds think alike. I believe Harris had a mere 7 or 8 carries against Auburn.

Friday night beverages and got sidetracked ?

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hurts is way harder to contain than a qb like fromm. which makes our second defensive performance against fromm all the more troublesome. We usually thrive against pocket passers. That was the main thing that stood out to me in the sec title game. Our DL should of repeated their performance from the first game or at least come close. They did not get home hardly any.

The main thing that stuck out to me is the outside toss runs. We didn’t deal with those very well. 

1 hour ago, lala said:

Friday night beverages and got sidetracked ?

You missed my point.   It’s wasn’t about how Alabama miss uses anyone.   It’s about more distribution of the carries.    

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Devan Barrett. A absolute filthy stud! Is the total package for a rb once he puts on some more muscle. Which he should do with a full offseason in a college weight program!

His ability is undeniable. Just needs to fill out his frame. I think his future is very bright. 

Bottom line----next man up. We have the talent, we need to use it right. I think the talent is there. Time to step up. Great op for several guys.

1 hour ago, lala said:

A lot of that has to do with Hurts throwing. Like many Alabama fans, I think their offense has more potential with Tua. That being said, Hurts legs are an incredible weapon and despite his inaccuracy, Hurts protects the football as well as any quarterback in college football. 

Archived