Kam martin thinks 2018 his year

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dexter McCluster agrees with you. Not every smallish guy can be McCluster (or Sproles, or Dion Lewis, or Lamichael James, or...) but people who look at a guy and just immediately write him off... yeah, I don't get that. Neither does Will Hastings, nor Wes Welker, nor that kid who dominated the SEC West champs single-handed- literally- the other day...

Exactly. Now he definitely needs to be better in pass protection but that is more want-to and technique than size.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I totally agree, and posted something similar yesterday. Staff absolutely made the right decision getting Stidham to come to Auburn. But I do think Gus has a preference, regardless of what kind of success he has and can have with Pro Style QBs. 

I had this thought yesterday, and frankly - I think we can borrow from this model next season. 2006 Florida Gators had Senior Chris Leak at QB. Similar to Stidham - except I think Stidham is a better passer. But similar in their abilities on the ground. True freshman Tim Tebow comes in as a battering ram. Similar to Gatewood. 

That's the offense I want to see, frankly. 

I'm sorry. I'm late and missed this. When you say better passer.....how? Like more arm strength?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm sorry. I'm late and missed this. When you say better passer.....how? Like more arm strength?

Good catch. No, better passer was the wrong phrasing. I should have said more arm talent as in a stronger arm and quicker release. Although, I think Stidham has the potential to be every bit the passer that Leak was. He certainly has the arm, and Stidham is still very accurate. However, as far as accomplishments as a passer go, Leak was prolific. He was very accurate, and I don't think I've ever seen a quarterback who more consistently threw dead tight spirals. I think he owns most or all of Florida's passing records, and I do remember in high school he threw for like 10,000+ yards, shattering North Carolina High School records. I was a big fan.

edit: Leak holds the all-time passing yardage record at Florida, and he's 2nd in touchdowns. In High School, he threw for 15,593 yards and 185 touchdowns! That's just insane. 

and, @cole256 the point of the comparison was just to say that we have the ability the run a similar offense. Stidham is a very good passer, and should only improve. And, I love the idea of Gatewood being included in some packages next season. But, you're right, Stidham can in no way be said to be a "better passer" than Chris Leak. Poor choice of words. 

If JS could learn to pull the trigger a little faster, he would completely change a ot of our perception of him. I also feel like we didn't have enough desiged roll outs to combat the pressure at times this year. Go watch his Baylor film...it's like 2 different QBs. It's odd.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't like how desperate I am for Whitlow to succeed.

I'm rooting hard for KMart. I hope you're right about him being able to overcome whatever his coaches perceive his deficiencies to be.

Feel the same. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

If JS could learn to pull the trigger a little faster, he would completely change a ot of our perception of him. I also feel like we didn't have enough desiged roll outs to combat the pressure at times this year. Go watch his Baylor film...it's like 2 different QBs. It's odd.

I noticed we started doing design roll-outs in the second half of the bowl. Another thing that flys in the face of "no adjustments". 

I honestly think Stidham, more than anything, needs to work on vision and trusting his receivers to do some of the work.  I know he got burned on that once this year, but it's not a one man game, so he needs to put it where only they can get it and trust them to do it. I feel like he looks for the wide open guy too much, unless he's throwing long, and then he just puts it up there.

48 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I noticed we started doing design roll-outs in the second half of the bowl. Another thing that flys in the face of "no adjustments". 

I honestly think Stidham, more than anything, needs to work on vision and trusting his receivers to do some of the work.  I know he got burned on that once this year, but it's not a one man game, so he needs to put it where only they can get it and trust them to do it. I feel like he looks for the wide open guy too much, unless he's throwing long, and then he just puts it up there.

The coaches have said they made no adjustments. Not that the needed to say it but they confirmed what we saw.

I agree with your JS comments.

9 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

The coaches have said they made no adjustments. Not that the needed to say it but they confirmed what we saw.

I agree with your JS comments.

That's what I was talking about... it flies in the face of their claim of not making adjustments.  They very obviously made Stidham more mobile in the second half.

2 hours ago, Apraser99 said:

So our coaches and qb are liars?

might depend on the definition of "adjustments" ..... coaches might see making the QB more mobile as just the normal reaction to what the other team was doing....and not an "adjustment".     

What's with this business of parsing every comment from the coaches?    Getting like a political forum where every coach has to carefully weigh his comments lest someone interpret them differently than he intended and claim he was lying or something?  . :dunno:

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

might depend on the definition of "adjustments" ..... coaches might see making the QB more mobile as just the normal reaction to what the other team was doing....and not an "adjustment".     

What's with this business of parsing every comment from the coaches?    Getting like a political forum where every coach has to carefully weigh his comments lest someone interpret them differently than he intended and claim he was lying or something?  . :dunno:

Let your yes be yes and no be no .

Unfortunately AU64 it is the world we live in now. Tehnology is great and all but you sure cant do or say anything anymore without being seen or heard. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Let your yes be yes and no be no .

It ain't that simple ....you know that.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It ain't that simple ....you know that.  

Coaches in the college rank and professional ranks doing it all the time . You can answer a question without fudging content . You simply can say to the media you know something and you aren’t going to tell them. Simple. Next question. Simple. No comment . Simple.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Frankly, that was an adjustment that should've been made before the end of the 2nd qtr with how much pressure they were bringing. I also am compelled to feel JS doesn't get the luxury of truly reading a defense. I think each play has a preferred go to regardless of what the D is doing. That has always seemed to be Gus' MO....to force square pegs in round holes until it finally fits.

Hey mods, y’all like to change my thread titles including removing awesome emojis ?, but could someone please correct the spelling of his name?  ??‍♀️  Thanks! 

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

So still basically the pass protection was made up because of his size.....got it

Depends on what you call made up. Before the SECCG, Malzahn said he had  the upmost confidence in all of his RB’s in pass protection....Anybody with half a brain knew that was obviously a lie. 

After our week two loss to Clemson, Gus said Martin didn’t have a role ( zero carries) because he was worried about the size of their LBs that were blitzing. Also, if you look at the rotation’s, it’s almost like Kam was strategically placed out of pass situations. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Kam martin thinks 2018 his year

Archived