Kam martin thinks 2018 his year

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s my only beef. If Kam is sucking in practice and not doing all the fundamental stuff that is one thing. If people are saying he is just too small to play in the SEC to be on the field most of the time, that is my issue. And I have seen quite a few people point to that opinion, but use the scapegoat to blocking. Blocking is important, don’t get me wrong , but I don’t ever think KM is going to be the blocker that people want. This is not his game. He can probably get in the way and get smoked, but in reality , that is not what type of back he is.

Yeah, and I think that's why my mind wanders to either ball protection or the fundamentals you are talking about. But, it seems like Kam could have been utilized in so many more ways. Would have been interesting to see him and Kerryon on the field at the same time more often. 

All that being said, the formula that beat Georgia and then Alabama didn't require creative play calls for Kam. Even though I do believe he is well equipped to come in and run in a lot of that offense - esp. the screen game, IMO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:
1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

And by the way - if you want to win a starting role at RB under Gus, prioritize these two things:

1) Protect the football

2) Protect your quarterback.

And if you're a WR, sub "running" for "quarter" :P

SOOOOO much truth in these two posts. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, and I think that's why my mind wanders to either ball protection or the fundamentals you are talking about. But, it seems like Kam could have been utilized in so many more ways. Would have been interesting to see him and Kerryon on the field at the same time more often. 

All that being said, the formula that beat Georgia and then Alabama didn't require creative play calls for Kam. Even though I do believe he is well equipped to come in and run in a lot of that offense - esp. the screen game, IMO.

But I am going to tell you the biggest reason why KM won’t succeed in my eyes under this offense. It’s because they don’t know how to utilize their QB. I still don’t think this group has an identity . Yes we know they want to be a run first team, but this comes with so many different avenues. I am thinking they kind of know now what type of QB they want and how they want to use them now. I can’t complain about them getting JS . He was the best damn guy to get . I don’t think he fits what CGM wants. You can face palm me all you want. I would love to see a MW-KM combo vs a JS-KM combo. But it doesn’t matter at this point. CCL is going to have to figure out how to make it work come game 1 next season .

Just now, DAG said:

But I am going to tell you the biggest reason why KM won’t succeed in my eyes under this offense. It’s because they don’t know how to utilize their QB. I still don’t think this group has an identity . Yes we know they want to be a run first team, but this comes with so many different avenues. I am thinking they kind of know now what type of QB they want and how they want to use them now. I can’t complain about them getting JS . He was the best damn guy to get . I don’t think he fits what CGM wants. You can face plan me all you want. I would love to see a MW-KM combo vs a JS-KM combo. But it doesn’t matter at this point. CCL is going to have to figure out how to make it work come game 1 next season .

I totally agree, and posted something similar yesterday. Staff absolutely made the right decision getting Stidham to come to Auburn. But I do think Gus has a preference, regardless of what kind of success he has and can have with Pro Style QBs. 

I had this thought yesterday, and frankly - I think we can borrow from this model next season. 2006 Florida Gators had Senior Chris Leak at QB. Similar to Stidham - except I think Stidham is a better passer. But similar in their abilities on the ground. True freshman Tim Tebow comes in as a battering ram. Similar to Gatewood. 

That's the offense I want to see, frankly. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:
20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The point I take from this is: The player is here. You recruited him. He's your second best runner. Figure it out. 

I agree with this, and one of my biggest gripes was that we couldn't find other ways to utilize Kam. If pass blocking is suspect - throw Harris or Cox in there to help chip. Where were the RB wheel routes we saw in the spring game? Oh well, whatever. Kam caught three balls, I think. 

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe Gus does trust Kam. But, that's the alternative I don't like thinking about. 

That’s my only beef. If Kam is sucking in practice and not doing all the fundamental stuff that is one thing. If people are saying he is just too small to play in the SEC to be on the field most of the time, that is my issue. And I have seen quite a few people point to that opinion, but use the scapegoat to blocking. Blocking is important, don’t get me wrong , but I don’t ever think KM is going to be the blocker that people want. This is not his game. He can probably get in the way and get smoked, but in reality , that is not what type of back he is.

I completely believe that Gus (and probably Chip's) issue with Kam is that he's not a good pass blocker, which limits the playbook when he is out there as the #1 back. When they have someone like Kerryon out there, they can run any play that they want, because they know he will protect Stidham from a blitz. With Kam, Stidham's chances are 50/50, if that, unless he gets rid of the ball quickly.  Remember the ultimate goal in a Gus Malzahn offense, no matter who's calling plays, is to substitute as little as possible so you can move as quickly as possible. Anytime he puts someone out there with a deficiency in one aspect of their game, it requires substituting to expand the playbook. For Gus, a dream offense would be one where he could run the same personnel for an entire drive, utilizing the whole playbook, then swap up backs and receivers for the next drive without missing a step, then repeat. We haven't had a team that could do that since 2014... and not one that was textbook since 2010.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I totally agree, and posted something similar yesterday. Staff absolutely made the right decision getting Stidham to come to Auburn. But I do think Gus has a preference, regardless of what kind of success he has and can have with Pro Style QBs. 

I had this thought yesterday, and frankly - I think we can borrow from this model next season. 2006 Florida Gators had Senior Chris Leak at QB. Similar to Stidham - except I think Stidham is a better passer. But similar in their abilities on the ground. True freshman Tim Tebow comes in as a battering ram. Similar to Gatewood. 

That's the offense I want to see, frankly. 

Bro we are 100 percent in agreement. I think Gus has FINALLY figured out what he wants and you can tell based on his recruiting now for the next couple of years. I got roped into through DT type with JS and he is just not that . The UCF QB is way more athletic than him. JS will make it to the Pros one day. I think he potentially can do great things at Auburn . I just have to have the wait and see approach like so many things around here .

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I completely believe that Gus (and probably Chip's) issue with Kam is that he's not a good pass blocker, which limits the playbook when he is out there as the #1 back. When they have someone like Kerryon out there, they can run any play that they want, because they know he will protect Stidham from a blitz. With Kam, Stidham's chances are 50/50, if that, unless he gets rid of the ball quickly.  Remember the ultimate goal in a Gus Malzahn offense, no matter who's calling plays, is to substitute as little as possible so you can move as quickly as possible. Anytime he puts someone out there with a deficiency in one aspect of their game, it requires substituting to expand the playbook. For Gus, a dream offense would be one where he could run the same personnel for an entire drive, utilizing the whole playbook, then swap up backs and receivers for the next drive without missing a step, then repeat. We haven't had a team that could do that since 2014... and not one that was textbook since 2010.

True but you also know what negates the need for ultimate pass blocking ? Having athletes in the backfield. In 2013 and 2014 , there were times when NM was dead in the water and he did his wizardry and made something out of nothing . What makes it even frustrating is when you have to deal with the RB as well. Again, facepalm and disagree guys , but I am thinking the coaching staff knows exactly what they want. Even at the high marks of this year offense, I never got the feeling that we could score at any moment in the game, something we had in 2013 and 2014 . We had a very methodical approach all year. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

True but you also know what negates the need for ultimate pass blocking ? Having athletes in the backfield. In 2013 and 2014 , there were times when NM was dead in the water and he did his wizardry and made something out of nothing . What makes it even frustrating is when you have to deal with the RB as well. Again, facepalm and disagree guys , but I am thinking the coaching staff knows exactly what they want. Even at the high marks of this year offense, I never got the feeling that we could score at any moment in the game, something we had in 2013 and 2014 . We had a very methodical approach all year. 

No doubt, having a dynamic dual threat in the backfield make a huge difference. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of those to go around. Hopefully, if Stidham continues to progress and ends up drafted, that will open some QB recruit's minds about Auburn. Also, hopefully, Gatewood will become the stud he has the potential to become. If that happens, and the D maintains, 2019 could be A LOT of fun to watch :) 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

No doubt, having a dynamic dual threat in the backfield make a huge difference. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of those to go around. Hopefully, if Stidham continues to progress and ends up drafted, that will open some QB recruit's minds about Auburn. Also, hopefully, Gatewood will become the stud he has the potential to become. If that happens, and the D maintains, 2019 could be A LOT of fun to watch :) 

No it’s not a whole lot of them, but if that is your preference and makes your offense work. You need to recruit them. That is why the more and more I am starting to calm down, I am starting to feel that I need to temper my expectations until MW runs the show until proven other wise. 

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then I am going to go back to my other point. Do NOT recruit that type of player to position themselves to be your #1 guy in your offense if that is how you feel. Not you in particularly but the coaching staff. 

Auburn didn't recruit K Martin to be the #1 guy. He was a transfer, that AU saw he could fit the quick scat back need. He was never going to be an every down back.

Did Gus use him enough? NO. Did Gus use him in more creative roles..NO. But is that Gus or Chip?

I want a back that doesn't have to be taken out. I want a back that can at times elude or push the pile...KM doesn't fit that to me.

Some here seem to want to make him the heir apparent to all our other ALL SEC backs. He is not that...

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hope we see Gatewood on the field early and often. I'm not sure that I've ever been so anxious to see a guy suit up.

Just now, steeleagle said:

Auburn didn't recruit K Martin to be the #1 guy. He was a transfer, that AU saw he could fit the quick scat back need. He was never going to be an every down back.

Did Gus use him enough? NO. Did Gus use him in more creative roles..NO. But is that Gus or Chip?

I want a back that doesn't have to be taken out. I want a back that can at times elude or push the pile...KM doesn't fit that to me.

Some here seem to want to make him the heir apparent to all our other ALL SEC backs. He is not that...

He is not even being utilized as a scat back so what are you even talking about? He clearly was the #2 back behind KJ and was being utilized as such based on the play calls, so your theory is a little shaky.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He is not even being utilized as a scat back so what are you even talking about? He clearly was the #2 back behind KJ and was being utilized as such based on the play calls, so your theory is a little shaky.

I think he was intended to be a scat back until Pettway went down.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It does often feel like Martin has turned into proverbial back-up quarterback of Auburn football. More reasoned posts are concerned with rotation, above all else.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I think he was intended to be a scat back until Pettway went down.

This still defies logic. If he is a scatback, then keep him at scatback. You have Barrett and Miller, who both aren’t scat back types. Utilize them in this prototype role then. 

I know as a freshman Kam had problems with his hands and ball security which probably put him in Gus's playing-time dog house.

However, I saw no fumbles and no drops (I know, limited targets and carries) this season out of him that I can remember -- I'm not looking at the stats -- but maybe he's taken care of those issues? Or perhaps in practice he's not showing that he's taken care of the ball security problem.

Either way, he could still get some carries like Brad Lester (ugh :slapfh:) got when Kenny Irons was leading the way for us. Doesn't have to be 85% blowout touches.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This still defies logic. If he is a scatback, then keep him at scatback. You have Barrett and Miller, who both aren’t scat back types. Utilize them in this prototype role then. 

Barrett wasn't ready to fulfill that role this season. Not trying to steer this back towards a conversation about size, but he looked like a lanky 13 year-old in the throws of puberty out there. Speed, burst is undeniable. Miller...yeah don't know what happened to that guy.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Barrett wasn't ready to fulfill that role this season. Not trying to steer this back towards a conversation about size, but he looked like a lanky 13 year-old in the throws of puberty out there. Speed, burst is undeniable. Miller...yeah don't know what happened to that guy.

Well , next year we have him , we have Miller, we have KM and a couple of freshman. Something has to give . 

2 hours ago, api1957 said:

Let's see if he earns the role. Not a lot of people thought KJ was an every down back. Just food for thought. 

Agree. I was one of those people. Ate my words for sure on KJ. Thought he was solid but very surprised in his ability to carry a heavy load. 

Kam's role should increase but we need to find 2 RBs and 1 Omac or Corey Grant type RB by committee for next year. We can't afford to keep running our starting RB into the ground. I know the plan was to have KJ and KP as a 1 - 2 punch but we made a huge mistake in not getting other guys carries in the cupcake games. 

Just now, DAG said:

Well , next year we have him , we have Miller, we have KM and a couple of freshman. Something has to give . 

Oh no doubt. Everyone will have a shot. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. I was one of those people. Ate my words for sure on KJ. Thought he was solid but very surprised in his ability to carry a heavy load. 

Kam's role should increase but we need to find 2 RBs and 1 Omac or Corey Grant type RB by committee for next year. We can't afford to keep running our starting RB into the ground. I know the play was to have KJ and KP as a 1 - 2 punch but we made a huge mistake in not getting other guys carries in the cupcake games. 

I like this approach 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think they felt like Miller and Barrett were ready. It was obvious that Miller was the man, when Willis was in, which speaks to what he excels at. To me, for most of the year, it seemed like Barrett still needed everything to slow down for him a little. I think he's going to take the #1 slot next year, unless Whitlow takes it.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Or , again I am just spitballing here, you can scheme around his skill set.

I think we did this to a point when he was in, and I also think he did well for what they asked him to do, even when it wasn't his top skill set. 

What about using Kam Martin like they were going to use Roc before Roc decided he wanted to be a lead back?

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What about using Kam Martin like they were going to use Roc before Roc decided he wanted to be a lead back?

I really liked that idea when Gus was talking about it. My thing was...was it actually true or something being used to get Roc to stay at AU. The reason i say that is why wasn't another player evaluated for that role when Roc left? Correct me if i'm wrong but some of the things Stove does and previously Truitt did when he was here may fall into what Gus wanted to do with Roc. We did a little of that with Kam but his catching ability can be suspect at times. But hit him with a short pass and let him go in the open field. I was excited about seeing something like that with Roc. 

One positive in the bowl game was the throws to Cox. Cox has had some nice catches and defenses tend to really ignore him. When our offense has variety and is aggressive it's amazing to watch. Refer to the last few minutes of the bowl game. When we were aggressive, we attacked the middle and sidelines with passes. Granted i know UCF was in a different defensive set but it's been proven when there is variety in the offense we're unstoppable. 

Archived