Kam martin thinks 2018 his year

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Kam Martin has no plans to transfer from Auburn, believes his 'time is going to come' in 2018

Updated Jan 2, 4:34 PM; Posted Jan 2, 3:00 PM

Gallery: Kam Martin re-emerges to lead Auburn in rushing against Missouri

981 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Kam Martin's sophomore season was an up-and-down campaign that saw the fleetfooted running back's playing time fluctuate sporadically throughout the year.

There were games when Martin saw double-digit carries, others where he was given a handful of touches and some in which he received no carries out of the backfield altogether as the coaching staff often leaned on upperclassmen Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, when healthy. Despite his shifting role within the offense, and the crowd of running backs the Tigers could have on the roster next season, Martin shot down any talk of seeking a possible transfer in the offseason.

"I don't have no plans on leaving or anything like that," Martin said after Auburn's 34-27 loss to UCF in the Peach Bowl on Monday.

Martin had six carries for 24 yards against the Knights as he finished his sophomore season with 74 carries for 453 yards and two scores despite not getting carries in four of the Tigers' 14 games. After opening the season with a 14-carry, 136-yard, one-touchdown performance against Georgia Southern in a game that Auburn was already without a suspended Pettway and saw Johnson injure his hamstring, Martin did not record a carry in four of Auburn's next six games, including losses to Clemson and LSU. He also had just one carry against Arkansas and two in the Tigers' regular-season win against Georgia.

"I really can't control when I can get in the game and stuff, but when I do, I always think like -- I'm on the sideline telling myself, 'when I get in there, make plays so like I'm probably going to get the ball again,'" Martin said. "You know, that's all there is to it. Whenever I get in, I just want to make plays for my teammates."

How Kam Martin, Malik Miller adapted to roles at RB

Kam Martin and Malik Miller were used sporadically behind Kerryon Johnson this season, but both embraced their spots within the offense.

The 5-foot-10, 182-pounder did just that when his number was called. Martin led Auburn's backfield with 6.12 yards per carry, which was the sixth-best mark in the SEC 38th nationally among running backs, and he had just five of his 74 carries stopped behind the line of scrimmage.

"I felt like I had an alright season, you know," Martin said. "I'm very blessed to be here at Auburn. My time is going to come this year. I'm believing it, because I know it's going to happen."

With Martin set on returning for his junior season rather than potentially seeking a transfer elsewhere for more playing time, Auburn could have a crowded backfield in 2018.

Johnson and Pettway both have NFL Draft decisions looming, while Pettway could also seek a grad transfer before the start of next season once he finishes his undergrad degree. Redshirt freshman Malik Miller, who had 34 carries for 135 yards and a touchdown while coming off knee surgery, said after the Peach Bowl that he has not given any thought to seeking a transfer. The Tigers also return Devan Barrett, who had 14 carries for 79 yards this season but was also used in the passing game, as well as redshirting freshman JaTarvious Whitlow, who turned heads during Auburn's on-campus Peach Bowl practices.

Kerryon Johnson weighing 'life choice' regarding draft

Whether that means waiting until the Jan. 15 deadline for underclassmen to declare for this year's draft or a matter of days is anyone's guess.

Auburn will also welcome four-star signees Asa Martin and Shaun Shivers into the fold. Martin was on campus for bowl practices last month and will enroll in classes in the spring, while Shivers also signed during the early signing period but will enroll in May as the nation's No. 8 all-purpose back.

Martin is not concerned about the number of running backs Auburn could have competing for playing time next season.

"I'm just going to do what I do," Martin said. "I'm different from everybody, you know? I just take care of my business whenever I get in there. That's what it all comes to."

Whether the Tigers have any attrition in the backfield remains to be seen. Underclassmen have until Jan. 15 to declare early for the NFL Draft, while any possible transfers before next season could occur at any time.

Regardless, Martin is confident he'll be able to build off his performance this season.

"I feel like next year, 2018 is going to be my year to come out and just show everybody what I really can do," Martin said. "I feel like I have a lot of things I need to work on in the spring to be a complete back. It's going to happen. It don't happen overnight, but it's going to happen."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, what's with these a**hole reporters asking all these guys about transferring?  And immediately after a bad loss?

Second, if K Mart is "the guy", this offense will have to look very different than it has in recent memory.  I think he is a legitimate talent but he absolutely will not hold up running between the tackles in this league.  He will break down in less than 50 carries if we don't go to a true zone read outside run based offense.  And if that's what we evolve too (which I don't think Gus will do), Stidham won't can't be the trigger man.

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

First of all, what's with these a**hole reporters asking all these guys about transferring?  And immediately after a bad loss?

Second, if K Mart is "the guy", this offense will have to look very different than it has in recent memory.  I think he is a legitimate talent but he absolutely will not hold up running between the tackles in this league.  He will break down in less than 50 carries if we don't go to a true zone read outside run based offense.  And if that's what we evolve too (which I don't think Gus will do), Stidham won't can't be the trigger man.

agree. K MArtin is NOT an every down back. He will get annihilated  on pass blocking...

I think he can be used more than what Gus did, but not much more. Its got to be Asa Martin, Barrett, or M Martin that will have to carry the load.

Love his optimism, but if Martin couldn't be a true RB2 this season, then I'm not as optimistic as he is that he'll get to ever really contribute at RB for us.

For the record, I'm in no way suggesting that he's not good enough. I just feel like he won't ever be the guy for Gus.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Love his optimism, but if Martin couldn't be a true RB2 this season, then I'm not as optimistic as he is that he'll get to ever really contribute at RB for us.

For the record, I'm in no way suggesting that he's not good enough. I just feel like he won't ever be the guy for Gus.

Very well may be right. It very well may be that Gus' apparent lack in trust in him may have been attributed to something like pass blocking, which lucky for Kam, can be overcome in the off season. I think he has a chance to be a significant contributor. Don't see him winning the RB1 job, but you know I've been wrong about these things before. 

I'm most excited to see how Whitlow and the 2 or 3 incoming freshman shake out. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Very well may be right. It very well may be that Gus' apparent lack in trust in him may have been attributed to something like pass blocking, which lucky for Kam, can be overcome in the off season. I think he has a chance to be a significant contributor. Don't see him winning the RB1 job, but you know I've been wrong about these things before. 

I'm most excited to see how Whitlow and the 2 or 3 incoming freshman shake out. 

I don't like how desperate I am for Whitlow to succeed.

I'm rooting hard for KMart. I hope you're right about him being able to overcome whatever his coaches perceive his deficiencies to be.

Let's see if he earns the role. Not a lot of people thought KJ was an every down back. Just food for thought. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And by the way - if you want to win a starting role at RB under Gus, prioritize these two things:

1) Protect the football

2) Protect your quarterback.

And if you're a WR, sub "running" for "quarter" :P

How can you not believe about a hb being over worked but at the same time not think a guy can hold up because of size?

Pass protection is definitely more about technique than size. I think an ideal back size is around 215

23 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Let's see if he earns the role. Not a lot of people thought KJ was an every down back. Just food for thought. 

Dexter McCluster agrees with you. Not every smallish guy can be McCluster (or Sproles, or Dion Lewis, or Lamichael James, or...) but people who look at a guy and just immediately write him off... yeah, I don't get that. Neither does Will Hastings, nor Wes Welker, nor that kid who dominated the SEC West champs single-handed- literally- the other day...

I wonder how De’Anthony Thomas was an every day back at Oregon at 180 pounds soaking wet if that. I am sure he wasn’t a Jay Prosche style blocker either. Hopefully this kid gets the chance come spring.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I wonder how De’Anthony Thomas was an every day back at Oregon at 180 pounds soaking wet if that. I am sure he wasn’t a Jay Prosche style blocker either. Hopefully this kid gets the chance come spring.

These are all exceptions to the rule kind of guys. Agreed it's foolish to write a kid off based on size alone, but it's a worthy concern when we are talking about naming a starting running back. I would be amazed if his size has never come up in conversation at the coaches' table - along with all his other attributes positive or negative.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't like how desperate I am for Whitlow to succeed.

I'm rooting hard for KMart. I hope you're right about him being able to overcome whatever his coaches perceive his deficiencies to be.

I'm just desperate for quality depth - and on this team quality to me means "trusted". So, I want "trusted" depth (assuming trust is the reason K-Mart didn't play more). Based on what we saw, we were two-deep in 2017. Maybe call it 2 and 1/2 deep. Say all you want about Gus liking to ride the hot hand, or K-Mart's 70-something carries, it just never seemed as if he fully trusted Kam. Chalk it up to pass-pro/fumbles/understanding/shoe size, whatever. By game 3 or so, we need to be 3-deep on guys Gus feels confident throwing into any situation. Pick a RB1, sure. Get your hot hand, but get comfortable with 2 other backs you can rotate in, and then rotate those players. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

These are all exceptions to the rule kind of guys. Agreed it's foolish to write a kid off based on size alone, but it's a worthy concern when we are talking about naming a starting running back. I would be amazed if his size has never come up in conversation at the coaches' table - along with all his other attributes positive or negative.

The point being the coaching staff and the player made some sort of adaption or attempts to get their best player on the field majority of the time. If Kam Martin is your best producing back and most ready then he should be on the field . Don’t care if he can’t block better than a true freshman coming in. That is one facet of the running back game and quite frankly , as the RPO and spread continuous to make its wave in the collegiate and professional world, is starting to take a back seat. It’s like Bruce Pearl committing to have a big man with his back to the basket, but recruiting an Anthony Davis caliber player. Makes zero sense. Recruit that player and scheme around his talent IF he has proven to be the best guy at his position. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I'm just desperate for quality depth - and on this team quality to me means "trusted". So, I want "trusted" depth (assuming trust is the reason K-Mart didn't play more). Based on what we saw, we were two-deep in 2017. Maybe call it 2 and 1/2 deep. Say all you want about Gus liking to ride the hot hand, or K-Mart's 70-something carries, it just never seemed as if he fully trusted Kam. Chalk it up to pass-pro/fumbles/understanding/shoe size, whatever. By game 3 or so, we need to be 3-deep on guys Gus feels confident throwing into any situation. Pick a RB1, sure. Get your hot hand, but get comfortable with 2 other backs you can rotate in, and then rotate those players. 

Hey Preach, you got this but if you need me, I'm'a be right over here. -Choir

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The point being the coaching staff and the player made some sort of adaption or attempts to get their best player on the field majority of the time. If Kam Martin is your best producing back and most ready then he should be on the field . Don’t care if he can’t block better than a true freshman coming in. That is one facet of the running back game and quite frankly , as the RPO and spread continuous to make its wave in the collegiate and professional world, is starting to take a back seat. It’s like Bruce Pearl committing to have a big man with his back to the basket, but recruiting an Anthony Davis caliber player. Makes zero sense. Recruit that player and scheme around his talent IF he has proven to be the best guy at his position. 

Another call for very basic pass plays to mitigate the pass rush fallen on deaf ears. (Not yours, @Barnacle.)

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The point I take from this is: The player is here. You recruited him. He's your second best runner. Figure it out. 

I agree with this, and one of my biggest gripes was that we couldn't find other ways to utilize Kam. If pass blocking is suspect - throw Harris or Cox in there to help chip. Where were the RB wheel routes we saw in the spring game? Oh well, whatever. Kam caught three balls, I think. 

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe Gus does trust Kam. But, that's the alternative I don't like thinking about. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Another call for very basic pass plays to mitigate the pass rush fallen on deaf ears. (Not yours, @Barnacle.)

Exactly . Like I said my panthers are very much dedicated to running the ball, but they didn’t draft Christian McCaffeey with a priority that he would be pass blocking for cam. Good RPO option, he gets motioned out at times, sometimes as a decoy and sometimes as a receiver threat, and here and there he also runs between the tackles . Doesn’t mean he can’t know how to block at all but that is not a priority with him. The game is called completely different with him in the backfield. Now , I would say this, it doesn’t matter who is in the backfield if the offensive line can’t block anyone. Experiencing this with my panthers as well.

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The point I take from this is: The player is here. You recruited him. He's your second best runner. Figure it out. 

I agree with this, and one of my biggest gripes was that we couldn't find other ways to utilize Kam. If pass blocking is suspect - throw Harris or Cox in there to help chip. Where were the RB wheel routes we saw in the spring game? Oh well, whatever. Kam caught three balls, I think. 

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe Gus does trust Kam. But, that's the alternative I don't like thinking about. 

That’s my only beef. If Kam is sucking in practice and not doing all the fundamental stuff that is one thing. If people are saying he is just too small to play in the SEC to be on the field most of the time, that is my issue. And I have seen quite a few people point to that opinion, but use the scapegoat to blocking. Blocking is important, don’t get me wrong , but I don’t ever think KM is going to be the blocker that people want. This is not his game. He can probably get in the way and get smoked, but in reality , that is not what type of back he is.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

I do think being a 160 pound RB is the pac 12 is easier than being a 160 pound RB in the sec. One of the highlights of our conference is our size & speed on defense. PAC 12...exact opposite. It’s hard to play that role in our conference. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly . Like I said my panthers are very much dedicated to running the ball, but they didn’t draft Christian McCaffeey with a priority that he would be pass blocking for cam. Good RPO option, he gets motioned out at times, sometimes as a decoy and sometimes as a receiver threat, and here and there he also runs between the tackles . Doesn’t mean he can’t know how to block at all but that is not a priority with him. The game is called completely different with him in the backfield. Now , I would say this, it doesn’t matter who is in the backfield of the offensive line can’t block anyone. Experiencing this with my panthers as well.

Definitely didn't recruit draft McCaffrey to pass block, but the dude is actually a really good pass-blocker. That being said, your point is well taken. The problem is all of this requires creativity - the kind of creativity that would require Gus to think outside his own box. I've only seen him do it a couple of times, and I'm afraid that's how we ended up with the Cox Cat. 

1 minute ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I do think being a 160 pound RB is the pac 12 is easier than being a 160 pound RB in the sec. One of the highlights of our conference is our size & speed on defense. PAC 12...exact opposite. It’s hard to play that role in our conference. 

Then I am going to go back to my other point. Do NOT recruit that type of player to position themselves to be your #1 guy in your offense if that is how you feel. Not you in particularly but the coaching staff. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Then I am going to go back to my other point. Do NOT recruit that type of player to position themselves to be your #1 guy in your offense if that is how you feel. Not you in particularly but the coaching staff. 

I agree 110%

Archived