rare top 10 meeting in rivalry

aubiefifty

onlineathens.com

Georgia-Auburn will be a rare top 10 meeting in rivalry

Marc Weiszer

The Deep South’s oldest rivalry will be a top 10 matchup this time around.

Auburn moved up to No. 10 in the national polls Sunday while Georgia, No. 1 in the last College Football Playoff rankings, held steady at No. 2 in the AP and coaches’ polls.

That makes Saturday’s SEC showdown at Jordan-Hare Stadium the first clash of top 10 teams in the series since 2004 when No. 3 Auburn beat No. 8 Georgia 24-6. It’s just the fourth top 10 matchup all-time in the series that dates back to 1892.

Georgia (9-0, 6-0 SEC) has won three in a row against Auburn (7-2, 5-1 SEC) and eight of the last 10.

The game is at 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS.

“It’s a big game, and every year is different,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said after a 42-27 win at Texas A&M Saturday. “I really like our team. They’re a good team. We’ve got them at home. I know they’ll be looking forward to it. I know we’ll be looking forward to it.”

Georgia got five of 61 first-place votes in the AP poll Sunday and one of 65 in the coaches poll. The other votes went to No. 1 Alabama.

The new College Football Playoff rankings come out Tuesday night. Georgia and Alabama were 1-2 last week and both posted 24-10 victories Saturday with the Bulldogs beating South Carolina and Alabama defeating LSU.

After lopsided wins for the Bulldogs in SEC play with the closest margin before Saturday 25 points, wide receiver Mecole Hardman said Georgia showed “we can actually play a four-quarter game and we can go out there and we can compete with anybody.”

Coupled with a Kentucky loss to Ole Miss, Georgia clinched its sixth trip to the SEC championship game in program history and first since 2012. It came earlier than it ever has in its previous five, with two SEC games still to go. Coach Kirby Smart gets a $150,000 bonus for his team’s trip to the league title game Dec. 2 in Atlanta.

11 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I remember the '04 game vividly.

I bet Reggie Brown remembers it more vividly, at least most of it.  Since Auburn won the other three such games, perhaps this works in our favor.

Archived