Auburn #14 in Initial CFP Rankings

djg0017

On 10/31/2017 at 7:52 PM, AU64 said:

What are our common opponents with Georgia'?.....think the results were pretty much the same weren't they?  and outcomes of our Clemson game and their ND game were fairly similar.      Just wondering if the dawgs are capable of beating AU throwing the ball fewer than a dozen times which seems to be their approach this year.    

That,s not ideal but just to put things in perspective, Stidham only completed 9 of his 26 passes against a very mediocre pass defense and an LSU team that got chewed up and spit out through the air against the likes of Troy and Miss. State.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

That,s not ideal but just to put things in perspective, Stidham only completed 9 of his 26 passes against a very mediocre pass defense and an LSU team that got chewed up and spit out through the air against the likes of Troy and Miss. State.

As you probably remember, that is because the play calling sucked against LSU.  No intermediate passes and virtually no passing on 1st down after about midway through the 2nd Q.

wde

15 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

FYI if you hadn't seen it (sorry if it's been posted already). Herbstreit's biggest sleeper for playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21242176

Has he arranged for our wake-up call?

50 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

And we pretty well chewed up MSU too.

As noted by AUI.....lots of things were involved in that 9 out of 25 and its not realistic or fair to just pick out one game and use it as what a team is capable of ...or not capable of.   Teams lose unexpectedly every week....for example, Clemson lost to Syracuse...and yet there is Clemson up at #4.   

21 hours ago, The Freak said:

Huh?  Only alabama has made the playoffs.  And they are 1/3 for winning it.

Your correct, I stand corrected. Guess I got a little carried away. The SEC and ACC have made the finals the last two years. The first one was Oregon and Ohio State. The SEC and ACC were beaten by those two in the semi finals the first year. Freak, I was just trying to make the case for Auburn (with my own facts :dunno:) should we find lightening in a bottle to finish the season. In reality I will probably settle for another 8-4 or hopefully a 9-3 season on the upside. Losing Pettway is probably the straw that breaks our backs with any (very slim even with him) hope of winning out. 

^”Settle?” I understand “expect.” This was supposed to be a championship run. The excuses stop here. Massive changes needed with anything less than 9-3. Given that in our best performance of the year he was virtually a non-factor...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

And we pretty well chewed up MSU too.

As noted by AUI.....lots of things were involved in that 9 out of 25 and its not realistic or fair to just pick out one game and use it as what a team is capable of ...or not capable of.   Teams lose unexpectedly every week....for example, Clemson lost to Syracuse...and yet there is Clemson up at #4.   

Clemson lost to Syracuse because their starting QB got knocked out of the game. We lost to LSU because of a total team meltdown from the coaching staff to the player's on the field, something That happens far too frequently  in the Gus Malzahn era. Gus gives me zero confidence that this team can beat the best of the best when they can't even consistently beat the bad teams.

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

As you probably remember, that is because the play calling sucked against LSU.  No intermediate passes and virtually no passing on 1st down after about midway through the 2nd Q.

wde

Can't blame everything on play calling. SW and NM ran pretty much the same offense and neither had problems throwing the ball against mediocre to bad defenses. Why the heck does Stidham keep getting a pass?

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

Clemson lost to Syracuse because their starting QB got knocked out of the game. We lost to LSU because of a total team meltdown from the coaching staff to the player's on the field, something That happens far too frequently  in the Gus Malzahn era. Gus gives me zero confidence that this team can beat the best of the best when they can't even consistently beat the bad teams.

Clemson should have been able to beat Syracuse with you at QB.  Mostly they lost to Syracuse because their defense could not handle the Orange offense.  

Plus their QB was hurt going into the game and a case could be made that Dabo should have had one of the other guys ready to play.    Instead when his D got burned twice and they got behind, Dabo put in an injured QB who got even more injured....does that sound familiar?   .

9 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Completely different scenario.  Ohio State lost a close game to Penn State, on the road.  However, Ohio State also had wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nebraska.  The latter three were in the top 10 when they played.  Their overall resume was more impressive than Penn State's.

If Auburn wins out, which means beating Georgia, Alabama, and then likely Georgia again, what wins will Alabama have that make their resume more impressive?  The win over Florida State is basically useless now.  Alabama would have beaten up on the same teams that Auburn did, and then lost to only good team they played.  The committee has clearly demonstrated that they are not biased toward Alabama, and that they recognize their weak schedule.  AP and Coaches' Polls might love Alabama, but the committee does not.

Not trying to argue or ruin your day but I don’t think it will happen. They will get a 1 loss uat because the media adores them. There will not be two teams from the same conference in this new CFP. If we go to an eight game then that will happen but not before.

2 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Can't blame everything on play calling. SW and NM ran pretty much the same offense and neither had problems throwing the ball against mediocre to bad defenses. Why the heck does Stidham keep getting a pass?

Hey SW hoes it going ? Have you made a decission about going pro yet ? WDE

41 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not trying to argue or ruin your day but I don’t think it will happen. They will get a 1 loss uat because the media adores them. There will not be two teams from the same conference in this new CFP. If we go to an eight game then that will happen but not before.

If Clemson, PSU/OSU, Auburn, and Oklahoma/ND wins out, Alabama is done with a loss that late. They were clearly setting a precedent with that last poll. I know us as Auburn fans don't want to believe a college institution can actually go against Bama, but that's what is happening. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Clemson, PSU/OSU, Auburn, and Oklahoma/ND wins out, Alabama is done with a loss that late. They were clearly setting a precedent with that last poll. I know us as Auburn fans don't want to believe a college institution can actually go against Bama, but that's what is happening. 

I didn't believe this until they picked UGA over UAT in the first poll. It shows they actually look at it objectively and not just as a "they've been good before." UAT's "signature" win over FSU looks worse every week. They play no one of consequence until this weekend against LSU and then against us at the end of the year. Were Auburn to win out and win the SEC, I think they'd pull the trigger on us, not them. It'd be close but we would edge them out.

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Hey SW hoes it going ? Have you made a decission about going pro yet ? WDE

You may have blown my cover but no matter what you've heard, I can assure you, I'm no ho.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I guarantee you that if an undefeated Alabama team loses a close game to Georgia in the SEC Championship game, the committee will keep them in the top 4 so long as ND falls to Miami. 

Just now, murpjf88 said:

I guarantee you that if an undefeated Alabama team loses a close game to Georgia in the SEC Championship game, the committee will keep them in the top 4 so long as ND falls to Miami. 

That's an entirely different situation tho. Georgia wouldn't fall out the top 4 either if that situation was reversed. Those are two teams that are considered the most dominant by a good margin. 

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

One loss uat?? Hmmm. Could be a two loss uat. JMHO

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That would be a valid argument if the AP or Coaches' Poll were at issue.  The playoff committee does not care about media bias.  They made that statement quite clearly by dropping Alabama to #2 and ranking Oklahoma ahead of Ohio State.  Who you beat, who beat you, and what you have done overall are more important than media darling status.

An Alabama team that lost to Auburn AND did not go on to the SEC Championship Game and win it has absolutely nothing else on its resume to justify catapulting them over a two loss SEC Champion or including them at all.  Depending on how the other four conferences end up, I think it is likely that Auburn winning out excludes the SEC from the playoff.  That picture changes if there are some other two loss conference champions, but I think an Alabama team that loses to Auburn and does not win the West is excluded (and they should be).  That Alabama team would have wins over teams that all got blown out by someone else, and that is it.

Even crazier is that LSU and Auburn probably have the same chances of winning out, and that produces a two loss Alabama that finishes third in the West.  At this point, I do not think it likely that either wins out, but it would be hilarious if both beat Alabama and knocked them out.  The state of Alabama might achieve critical mass and detonate if Orgeron was able to talk about outcoaching Saban in his post-game presser.

44 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

If we didn't lose to LSU we would be 5th. Also if Clemson and Penn State didn't lose bama would easily be #4.

True..or if Oklahoma or Ohio St hadn't lost. SOS doesn't favor bama until they play LSU and that's only because they beat us. 

11 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Even crazier is that LSU and Auburn probably have the same chances of winning out, and that produces a two loss Alabama that finishes third in the West.  At this point, I do not think it likely that either wins out, but it would be hilarious if both beat Alabama and knocked them out.  The state of Alabama might achieve critical mass and detonate if Orgeron was able to talk about outcoaching Saban in his post-game presser.

Comment sections on AL.com would be gold if anyone was left alive to post in them.

One of my other favorite playoff happenings would be if Georgia got to the Championship game and then lost it to Miami and Richt. I think that would be entertaining.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Comment sections on AL.com would be gold if anyone was left alive to post in them.

One of my other favorite playoff happenings would be if Georgia got to the Championship game and then lost it to Miami and Richt. I think that would be entertaining.

That is actually the dream scenario.  Auburn and LSU beat Alabama.  Georgia beats LSU in the SEC Championship Game, and then an undefeated Miami remains undefeated by stomping Georgia.  To add insult to injury, Les Miles handles a post-game interview and questions the wisdom of firing of Mark Richt.

We could very well be ranked #10 in the next rankings with at least four teams ahead of us losing this weekend

Just now, abw0004 said:

We could very well be ranked #10 in the next rankings with at least four teams ahead of us losing this weekend

Should be! I’d be surprised if we don’t

Archived