Auburn #14 in Initial CFP Rankings

djg0017

if we win out we are in.  one of our losses would be, possibly, to one of the playoff teams, clemson.  wins over bama and georgia (twice) will excuse the lsu loss, plus we would be the sec champs and the committee has given preference to conference champs.

unfortunately, gus wont allow us to win out.  that SOB.  i'm still pissed about LSU and the way he has utilized our player personnel.  btw, who would like to see our RB3-RB5 have about 20% more carries each right now ... SMDH!  part of the gus brilliance will be the use of malik willis in run-only packages which will break up the flow of a couple of drives and take stidham out of rhythm ... SMDH! 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Very generous considering Auburn still hasn't beaten anyone of consequence.

Half the teams in front of us must be driving you crazy then. We hammered this poll's #16 team (Miss State) which is a win comparable to the marquee win for some teams in front of us (who btw haven't played & barely lost to Clemson and LSU on the Road). 

The odds of a playoff opportunity for AU are pretty slim so I'm not worrying about how the committee might act but it's been a debatable issue for a while about several things related to their vote and how teams are evaluated. Doss the Committee try to have geographic diversity, do they try to keep one conference from dominating the selection, do they take the "best teams' at the time of the play-off or those with the best records, or perhaps conference champions? What is the actual objective? And in this era of TV dominance and political correctness do some regions or teams get more favorable treatment, etc. etc. ....these are still unanswered questions.

Early in the process (like yesterday), there is not much flashback from putting two SEC teams at the top since the odds are pretty good that at least one of them will be eliminated before the final rankings come out. Thus the rankings released yesterday are just for the sports blogs and has very little impact on the likely contestants a couple month from now.

Many important head to head games remain to be played and a couple teams like Ga and Clemson most likely won't make it to the starting gate for the playoffs. But the rankings at least signal that an ACC team, Big 10 team and SEC team are pretty much guaranteed a slot and it's up to each conference over the next month to sort out which teams will be their representatives. JMO It's nice that AU and a handful of other middle ranking teams still have a theoretical chance to make the final four....makes every game important and keeps players focused on the big prize.

If--big big BIG if--Auburn won out and won the SEC Championship, the committee would most likely put us in the playoffs. The playoff teams have almost always been 4 of the Power 5 conference champions (Ohio State last year was the only non-conference champion to make it). Penn State were conference champions last year and were a two-loss team and got left out the playoffs. I think Auburn's resume would play a factor on why that wouldn't happen to Auburn.

However, I hate to be a debbie downer, but Auburn isn't making the playoffs, nor are we winning out. We have the talent, but we don't have the coach(es). But for now, we just need to focus on beating Texas A&M convincingly.

Ohio State ranked below Oklahoma is the strangest ranking. I just dont understand that one at all. UGA got the nod because of ND whereas uat does not have a signature win.

I doubt we make the playoffs even if we win out. The committee has already shown they do not care about conference champs. Assuming Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and ND all have 1 loss. If we win out bama has 1 loss. Who does a 2 loss AU jump? 

Keep in mind that if Miami beats ND it may even hurt our chances more.

Another fun fact - IF LSU beats bama this weekend then none of this matters.

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Will not happen. Even if Auburn wins out, Bama would have only 1 loss. A 1-loss Bama would be taken over a 2-loss Auburn.

Of course, I'm not on the CFP Committee, so .......

Dang, there I go again. Not pumping pure sunshine. Dang it!

A 2 loss conference champion over a 1 loss non conference champ. The playoff committee has showed in the past how important the conference championship is. I agree, if uat wins until Auburn and loses there, I still think they hold a top 4 spot. and uat has not played anyone yet. FSU has turned out to be a joke. but you look at us. uga & clemson on our schedule where uat has Tennessee. They chose AU in that situation to go everytime. That doesn't mean they don't choose uat as well. 

46 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Ohio State ranked below Oklahoma is the strangest ranking. I just dont understand that one at all. UGA got the nod because of ND whereas uat does not have a signature win.

I doubt we make the playoffs even if we win out. The committee has already shown they do not care about conference champs. Assuming Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and ND all have 1 loss. If we win out bama has 1 loss. Who does a 2 loss AU jump? 

Keep in mind that if Miami beats ND it may even hurt our chances more.

Another fun fact - IF LSU beats bama this weekend then none of this matters.

How is that strange ? Oklahoma beat them at the shoe. Tells you the committee really takes into account head to head match ups.

and no, keeping a No Conference team hurts us a lot more. 1 team will come from the ACC. Miami or Clemson. 

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

if we win out we are in.  one of our losses would be, possibly, to one of the playoff teams, clemson.  wins over bama and georgia (twice) will excuse the lsu loss, plus we would be the sec champs and the committee has given preference to conference champs.

unfortunately, gus wont allow us to win out.  that SOB.  i'm still pissed about LSU and the way he has utilized our player personnel.  btw, who would like to see our RB3-RB5 have about 20% more carries each right now ... SMDH!  part of the gus brilliance will be the use of malik willis in run-only packages which will break up the flow of a couple of drives and take stidham out of rhythm ... SMDH! 

Yep. 

The strategic Gus move is always "when it works, I must stop doing it."

What evidence do we have during Gus' tenure as HC at Auburn would lead one to believe that he can plan, organize, strategically scheme and prepare his team to make a monumental run through the month of November, on into the SECCG, ending the regular season at 10-2 hoisting the SEC champs trophy and placing his team in position to make the CFP? 

I'm nauseated right now like never before to see Auburn's TWO main rivals perched atop the first and only poll that matters while I read through dozens of threads about us canning our HC. :banghead:

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

What evidence do we have during Gus' tenure as HC at Auburn would lead one to believe that he can plan, organize, strategically scheme and prepare his team to make a monumental run through the month of November, on into the SECCG, ending the regular season at 10-2 hoisting the SEC champs trophy and placing his team in position to make the CFP? 

I'm nauseated right like never before to see Auburn's TWO main rivals perched atop the first and only poll that matters while I read through dozens of threads about us canning our HC. :banghead:

Sad thing is, it is our HC that has us in position to win it all, but at the same time the reason we we won't make it. 

Jakie Chan.jpg

5 hours ago, DAG said:

How is that strange ? Oklahoma beat them at the shoe. Tells you the committee really takes into account head to head match ups.

and no, keeping a No Conference team hurts us a lot more. 1 team will come from the ACC. Miami or Clemson. 

HA - Considering my wife is a Ohio st fan I should have remembered that was last year......ill blame that on lack of coffee =)

The second point - I think a 2 loss ND would get the nod over a 2 loss AU. I would hope not considering what we have to do to be a 2 loss team come mid December - but it is ND and the money that fan base would bring. Also, if Miami wins out that leaves them as a no brainer playoff team and leaves a 1 loss clemson team that beat us. 

AU needs lots of help in addition to handling business.

Edit - 2 loss clemson team that beat us.

If we won out we would be in but there is NO WAY we are winning out so it does not matter. We may not even win at TAM this Saturday and we are favored by double digits. 

Sorry my sunshine pumping days are over until we prove we can actually beat a team with a pulse. 

IF Auburn won out.....Just consider this; AU would have lost to Clemson away by a slim margin, beaten undefeated UGA and Bama, both highly ranked at the time #1 and 2. Even with 2 losses, nobody would have that resume and strength of schedule. Assuming ND finished the season with one loss, we would have beaten the undefeated team that beat ND. IF that occurred, I am not convinced the committee leaves us out. What a dilemma we would put them in. Leaving out the SEC conference champion. Except for Ohio State and Clemson last year, the SEC has owned the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

You gotta think  win vs GA is worth moving up 4 spots.   Then bama,. Another 4 spots..  So that could potentially get us to 6.   Then beat GA again,. That would move us ahead of them to 5,. Then need help.  

No help needed if we win the SEC. But, it’s just not gonna happen.

25 minutes ago, auskull said:

Except for Ohio State and Clemson last year, the SEC has owned the playoffs.

Huh?  Only alabama has made the playoffs.  And they are 1/3 for winning it.

28 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

No help needed if we win the SEC. But, it’s just not gonna happen.

Odds were never that good but the loss of Pettway is a much bigger deal than most folks seem to accept. You don't just plug someone else into the position and move along as if nothing happened.   He was one of the better RBs in the SEC last season and when healthy is again among the best as we saw again for a while in the Arky game. .  

But we have the potential to cause some pain to one of our rivals.

23 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

You think they would take a one loss bama over the SEC champion and a team that beat UGA twice? Not happening. No one in the country would even come close to that kinda resumé

You might want to ask PennState about that scenario last year.

12 hours ago, keesler said:

I'm nauseated right now like never before to see Auburn's TWO main rivals perched atop the first and only poll that matters while I read through dozens of threads about us canning our HC. :banghead:

Cheer up already!

HappywithGus.png

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You might want to ask PennState about that scenario last year.

Completely different scenario.  Ohio State lost a close game to Penn State, on the road.  However, Ohio State also had wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nebraska.  The latter three were in the top 10 when they played.  Their overall resume was more impressive than Penn State's.

If Auburn wins out, which means beating Georgia, Alabama, and then likely Georgia again, what wins will Alabama have that make their resume more impressive?  The win over Florida State is basically useless now.  Alabama would have beaten up on the same teams that Auburn did, and then lost to only good team they played.  The committee has clearly demonstrated that they are not biased toward Alabama, and that they recognize their weak schedule.  AP and Coaches' Polls might love Alabama, but the committee does not.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:22 PM, OnthePlains said:

Glad Gus blew that lead at LSU...who needs the pressure of being a top 5 or 6 team?...

That's probably the one game that gets me every time I see the polls come out. Plus how much they are being pumped up this week against the tires. But then again they pump up every team when they play the turds..

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, WDE0007 said:

If--big big BIG if--Auburn won out and won the SEC Championship, the committee would most likely put us in the playoffs. The playoff teams have almost always been 4 of the Power 5 conference champions (Ohio State last year was the only non-conference champion to make it). Penn State were conference champions last year and were a two-loss team and got left out the playoffs. I think Auburn's resume would play a factor on why that wouldn't happen to Auburn.

However, I hate to be a debbie downer, but Auburn isn't making the playoffs, nor are we winning out. We have the talent, but we don't have the coach(es). But for now, we just need to focus on beating Texas A&M convincingly.

Ahhh, but remember even if we win out, Kirk Herbstreit (cough cough - 2004 - cough cough) still has a microphone, a vote, and the respect of many who also vote.

Archived