Auburn #14 in Initial CFP Rankings

djg0017

1 hour ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I hope our players aren't looking for ways to get into the playoff, focus on the game at hand. @DAG says it every week, "just win"

That it baby! Can't sit here and make excuses now. The Committee has essentially given us all the respect we need ranking us this high. It is important we KILL the aggies, gaining style points and beat a #1 UGA at home. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AURex said:

Will not happen. Even if Auburn wins out, Bama would have only 1 loss. A 1-loss Bama would be taken over a 2-loss Auburn.

Of course, I'm not on the CFP Committee, so .......

Dang, there I go again. Not pumping pure sunshine. Dang it!

HTH matters to the committee. Yes it would be like OSU and Penn State last year but we would beat 2 #1 teams in 3 games. AND we would beat UGA again in the SEC. We would have too strong of a resume to get left out.

I still really doubt Auburn wouldn’t get in to the playoff with a win over #1, another win over another #1, and a win over a #8ish team for the conference championship. I realize no 2 loss team has gotten in to the CFP, but no 2 loss team — or any team — has had that kind of resume yet. The committee would be leaving out the hottest team in the country..just don’t see it happening.

As for can Gus make that happen? We already know the answer to that :-)

But what we really need is for OU, tOSU or Clemson to lose, while we win out. If not, those three will for sure get in, with the addition of ND. They are really screwing up the formula. What we really need is for ND to lose to Miami. That would help big time. Honestly, we probably don't need Clemson to lose either. They need to be one of the top four. Looks better on our resume.

7 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I still really doubt Auburn wouldn’t get in to the playoff with a win over #1, another win over another #1, and a win over a #8ish team for the conference championship. I realize no 2 loss team has gotten in to the CFP, but no 2 loss team — or any team — has had that kind of resume yet. The committee would be leaving out the hottest team in the country..just don’t see it happening.

As for can Gus make that happen? We already know the answer to that :-)

Who cares if we only make the go daddy bowl. It won't be the end of the world ;) 

Well glad to see we are the highest two loss team. At least it gives us a good avenue for the first two loss team IF we win out. Gotta crush aTm first. Honestly though I have no clue how the thUGA game goes. Could go any way time will tell. I feel like if we win that game its a coin flip against the turds. But one at a time just win the week don't look ahead!

58 minutes ago, AURex said:

Will not happen. Even if Auburn wins out, Bama would have only 1 loss. A 1-loss Bama would be taken over a 2-loss Auburn.

It depends how we beat Bama. I with you if the game is really close.  

1 hour ago, AURex said:

This makes alot of sense. 

7 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Smh..LSU.

>:(

Every time I think about it I punch my grandma in the face . She’s as tough as rocky 

Guys, we couldn't hang with LSU for more than a quarter. We have no chance of beating the current top 2 teams in the country in three straight games. 

Beating one of them once and falling backwards into a New Year's Bowl is our best case scenario.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

While Auburn winning out certainly does not guarantee a playoff slot, it does mean that Alabama will have lost to the only good team they played.  It might be tempting to reach that conclusion based on Ohio State last year, but look at what else Ohio State did aside from that loss to Penn State.  A two loss Auburn team that beat Alabama and Georgia twice would have a better resume than a one loss Alabama.  If Alabama got elected under such circumstances, it would be confirmation that bias had even infected the playoff committee, and there is absolutely no evidence of that thus far.  They clearly care little for the other polls in their determinations, as demonstrated by dethroning Alabama from #1.

11 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

While Auburn winning out certainly does not guarantee a playoff slot, it does mean that Alabama will have lost to the only good team they played.  It might be tempting to reach that conclusion based on Ohio State last year, but look at what else Ohio State did aside from that loss to Penn State.  A two loss Auburn team that beat Alabama and Georgia twice would have a better resume than a one loss Alabama.  If Alabama got elected under such circumstances, it would be confirmation that bias had even infected the playoff committee, and there is absolutely no evidence of that thus far.  They clearly care little for the other polls in their determinations, as demonstrated by dethroning Alabama from #1.

Exactly! Bama wouldn’t get in if their top 3 wins were MSU, TAMU, and ....Colorado State?? Just don’t see that happening.

Lol are you guys seriously taking about making the playoffs? With Gus's play calling, I have a better chance of building a snowman with a topless Kate Upton on a sunny July day in Miami while two nuns wrestle each other in a kiddie pool full of gravy than we do of beating the top 2 teams in the country.

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

Lol are you guys seriously taking about making the playoffs? With Gus's play calling, I have a better chance of building a snowman with a topless Kate Upton on a sunny July day in Miami while two nuns wrestle each other in a kiddie pool full of gravy than we do of beating the top 2 teams in the country.

While I am talking about playoff scenarios, I do not expect Auburn to win out.  I would love to see it, and I would for Auburn to not have to pay another buyout to another coach in order for competence to grace us.  That certainly does not mean that I am holding my breath.

All I am saying is that an Auburn team that wins out has a better resume than an Alabama team that loses to Auburn, and I suspect the committee sees it the same way.  None of that addresses my opinion of the likelihood of that happening.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

While I am talking about playoff scenarios, I do not expect Auburn to win out.  I would love to see it, and I would for Auburn to not have to pay another buyout to another coach in order for competence to grace us.  That certainly does not mean that I am holding my breath.

All I am saying is that an Auburn team that wins out has a better resume than an Alabama team that loses to Auburn, and I suspect the committee sees it the same way.  None of that addresses my opinion of the likelihood of that happening.

I feel ya and I'd love it even more than the scenario I mentioned. But I think we'll possibly beat A&M pretty good only to see Gus freak out and go full retard going into the UGA game.

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

I feel ya and I'd love it even more than the scenario I mentioned. But I think we'll possibly beat A&M pretty good only to see Gus freak out and go full retard going into the UGA game.

That is about what my expectation is, at present.

EDIT:  For the record,  I would have celebrated Gus' firing after the LSU game, especially if he had been required to seek public transit for a ride home.  I felt the same after the Clemson 2016 game, even more so after he doubled-down on that 3 QB hydra gameplan.

I admire all the prognosticators.   I really do.  We have enough talent wearing helmets and cleats each Saturday.

I also remind myself we got out-coached by Ed Orgeron.  

Assuming we beat A&M we will play #1 ranked Ga. Beat them we will play 1 ranked Al (will move to #1 when Ga loses). Beat Al then we have beaten the top ranked team in the country not once but twice in three weeks! I believe we will be #5 or 6 if that happens. Then we beat a one loss Ga team (which will still be around #4 or #5) and win the SEC Championship! No way we are not in the playoffs if this happens!

11 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

I think the same could be said for Auburn. I haven't seen anything all season to suggest they can compete at the same level as a Georgia and Alabama.

unfortunately I have to agree. Again, the LSU lose inserts enough doubt into the equation that we cannot feel confident about any game going forward. 

5 hours ago, Samau said:

Assuming we beat A&M we will play #1 ranked Ga. Beat them we will play 1 ranked Al (will move to #1 when Ga loses). Beat Al then we have beaten the top ranked team in the country not once but twice in three weeks! I believe we will be #5 or 6 if that happens. Then we beat a one loss Ga team (which will still be around #4 or #5) and win the SEC Championship! No way we are not in the playoffs if this happens!

"...if this happens!" :dunno: Have you seen anything in the past 3 years to suggest we even have the remotest chance of winning out? What are our chances of beating one undefeated power 5 team, much less two in three weeks. I am more worried and feel our chances of another 7-5, 8-4 season has better odds. I sooo...hope you are correct in even venturing down this path with that kind of rationale. Roll those dice and go all in.

Archived