Florida, McElwain part ways

WDE_OxPx_2010

1 hour ago, Tigercj said:

Would not be surprised to see Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops name thrown out

Chip would be my first call..proven winner at a major program. Sidebar I think it will be several big time jobs open by end of season. Keep an eye on USCw and a few other big time programs. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

He would be an idiot to choose Nebraska over Florida, if given the option. 

Idiot is a bit harsh - i said that because he is an alumnus and i am sure he has some love for his old school. I think it’s a wash both are great jobs to me. 

1 hour ago, gulftiger66 said:

As I recall, McElwain was a pretty good OC at bama.  He must have forgotten how to run an offense.  This also goes to show how risky it is for a head coach to be a strict disciplinarian if you don't win after suspending your starters. 

Based on what I read it was the old text book thing.....like they did at bama several years ago....and far as I recall nobody got suspended though bama did get some probation.    That might have been the choice at UF.....hammer the violators or do like bama and mostly let it slide and eat some probation.  . :dunno: 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Idiot is a bit harsh - i said that because he is an alumnus and i am sure he has some love for his old school. I think it’s a wash both are great jobs to me. 

I realize he is an alumnus, but yes idiot would certainly apply. This ain't 1990, Nebraska will never return to their former glory. They can not field a team full of redshirt 5th year senior linemen any more. Too much money temptation out there these days to keep kids around that long. Nebraska, and Florida's recruiting base in incomparable. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Based on what I read it was the old text book thing.....like they did at bama several years ago....and far as I recall nobody got suspended though bama did get some probation.    That might have been the choice at UF.....hammer the violators or do like bama and mostly let it slide and eat some probation.  . :dunno: 

From the chatter on sports talk Nebraska is pretty far down the list of programs these days.....very hard place to recruit to....put them in with Miss State or Ole Miss maybe.  Nobody hardly, except older alums,  remember when they were a major force.....and they play in the weak half of the Big 10 too.     

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

I would love to know if he got the full 12.5 million buyout. 

Read they were going to try for the "cause" excuse because of his comments to the media about threats before he told them....don't think that will go far but worth a try. Something to negotiate over... Including the buyout that UF reportedly paid to Col State on his behalf when he arrived.  He's been a very expensive coach considering what he achieved.

Just now, AU64 said:

Read they were going to try for the "cause" excuse because of his comments to the media about threats before he told them....don't think that will go far but worth a try. Something to negotiate over... Including the buyout that UF reportedly paid to Col State on his behalf when he arrived.  He's been a very expensive coach considering what he achieved.

I think they realized fairly quickly that they could not fire him for cause. According to the Florida AD, they reach some kind of mutual agreement, but I didn't get to see if they disclosed the details of the agreement. You are certainly correct he has been very expensive. Football coaching has got to be one of the only jobs that I know of where you can get paid millions of dollars not to work. must be a good Gig if you can get it!

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I think they realized fairly quickly that they could not fire him for cause. According to the Florida AD, they reach some kind of mutual agreement, but I didn't get to see if they disclosed the details of the agreement. You are certainly correct he has been very expensive. Football coaching has got to be one of the only jobs that I know of where you can get paid millions of dollars not to work. must be a good Gig if you can get it!

Yep....Charlie Weiss is  my hero...was drawing big checks from three schools at the same time....a great gig as you say. 

McElwain and Gus are very similar.  Both did very well as OCs, but not so well as HCs.  McElwain could never win the games that mattered.  Same as Gus. Everybody talks about McElwain being the first coach to win the SEC East division his first two years (mind you the East has been pathetic at best).  And that made him successful?  McElwain went 22-12 with the Gators, but that included  4-9 against ranked teams.  Hardly successful in my book.

Gus is in the same situation as McElwain faced (minus the “death threat” lies and shark pic).  And like McElwain, it is time for Gus to put up or get out.

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Not so sure about UF being better than Auburn. Maybe  equal or just marginally better but not by much. It is hard to really pick who in the top tier schools are better than that others. My top tier group would be:

Top tier: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Lsu, Uga....Next UT, TAMU, Ark.....Next OM, Usc, Msu...last...KY, VU & Mizzou

Mullen will stay at MSU most likely. Look for UF to go after a young and up and coming coach.

I'm pretty sure Mullen is only 45.

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He would be insane to go to UF where you have to win. Stay a Miss st. win 7-8 games a year and make 3-4 million as long as you want to. If we fire Gus before the end of the season he would walk right into Ole Miss or ARK at the same click. 

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

He would be insane to go to UF where you have to win. Stay a Miss st. win 7-8 games a year and make 3-4 million as long as you want to. If we fire Gus before the end of the season he would walk right into Ole Miss or ARK at the same click. 

Logically, I agree. But, if he wants to compete for championships, it won't be at MSU. 

Edit: won't compete at MSU (not Florida) 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I agree, and this could happen. But, I see UF going after someone out of the SEC like a Matt Campbell,  PJ Fleck, Jeff Brohm. Mullen would not be a bad choice for UF and who knows with all of the insanity this season seems to be throwing in our direction, he could be in line for that gig. 

Have they named Randy Shannon as the interim coach?  I’d love to see Spurrier in that spot to finish out the season.  I think it would be kind of cool that he could finish his head coaching career as a gator.

McElwain getting canned not a big shock, but what is UT waiting on with Jones? That's is what I don't understand, he is the worst coach in the SEC.

Archived