Injury-plagued season 'frustrating'...pettway

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Injury-plagued season 'frustrating' Auburn running back Kamryn Pettway

Updated on October 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Posted on October 3, 2017 at 2:38 PM

Gallery: Auburn running back Kamryn Pettway piles up yards against Mercer

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

This season is not going according to plan for Kamryn Pettway.

The Auburn running back had aspirations of breaking the program single-season rushing record, which would mean being in the same rarefied air as Bo Jackson and Tre Mason.

Instead, five weeks into the season a one-game suspension, plantar fasciitis and left ankle injury has limited Pettway to just 61 carries for 208 yards and three touchdowns in just three games of action that might as well have been two given his five carries for six yards with a fumble in last week's win over Mississippi State.

"Any time you come off the kind of season he did last year with those yards he put up, he comes into the season banged up here, obviously it's frustrating," said fellow running back Kerryon Johnson, who is playing through a hamstring injury of his own. "He knows that. Like I've always said, Kam is a smart man, he's a grown man and he's not going to let it get to him. He just knows that he's got to do his rehab.

"He's got to keep his mind in it when he gets the opportunity, which he definitely will. He knows what to do with it. We all feel confident that he does, we all know it will happen. We just waiting on it."

Pettway, who led the SEC with 122.4 yards per game last season, still leads No. 12 Auburn (4-1, 2-0 SEC) in carries but his rushing yards are third behind Johnson (300), who also had nine touchdowns, and Kam Martin (210).

ADVERTISING

The Montgomery native has not been available for interviews since following his 34 carries against Mercer that led to his ankle injury.

"He's a competitor," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "He hasn't been 100 percent any of the games yet. I know that's been frustrating for him. But we've got to get him healthy. If we get him healthy, I think he'll be in a good spot."

Malzahn would not commit to Pettway playing against Ole Miss (2-2, 0-1 SEC) this week (11 a.m. CT, SEC Network). Auburn's top three running backs are all on the mend and Devan Barrett and Malik Miller could both see more reps.

"I think with (Pettway) and KJ, we've got to be very smart with those guys in practice," Malzahn said. "We'll see where we're at as he gets closer to the game. At the same time, Kam Martin was banged up going into the last game, too. We were able to rest him. I think that's good.

"But I really expect all the guys to be ready to play. It's just a matter of how healthy we can get them before the game starts."

Sports

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

his 34 carries against Mercer that led to his ankle injury.

Gus might not be an idiot, but he sure does some idiotic things from time to time. 

It would be nice to hear it's frustrating from Bubba instead of Crepea using leading questions to KJ to support his always drama based narrative about our football team.  The sooner he's gone as the beat writer covering AU football the better.  

I would be very frustrated to if I planned to be a featured back, rush for a lot of yards and turn Pro to support my family. Gonna be hard to be a draft pick with out playing.

22 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It would be nice to hear it's frustrating from Bubba instead of Crepea using leading questions to KJ to support his always drama based narrative about our football team.  The sooner he's gone as the beat writer covering AU football the better.  

Totally agree about Creepy, but I don't see anything wrong with the article. It's not a bad thing to say that he's frustrated IMO. Gus said it, too. Also, this is what happens when a coach never gives writers anything to work with.

I realize that Creepy has done himself no favors with Gus, but he's still got a job to do. He's still got to produce content. If Gus isn't going to ever have a personality and if we keep frontloading our seasons with listless, bad losses (Clemson) and boring, unnecessarily close wins over bad teams (Mercer), then our beat is going to continue to have a miserable job and they're going to keep cranking out crap like this.

Another reason saban gets better treatment in the press. He's interesting. He gives the media loads of content. He makes their jobs easy, even when he intimidates them into not asking certain questions. As long as it's not your turn in the barrel that day, your article is guaranteed to be click city. 

Gus got the love in 2013. Still got a decent bit in 2014. Since then, he's been a boring automaton piling up crap losses and meaningless wins. No writer's going to look good covering this beat. 

Those 34 carries when he was obviously hurt....

I don't know how much that has to do with where he is now, but plantar fascitis is a tough one. I really feel for Kam, giving his hopes and expectations.

On the journalism score, Kam isn't talking. So it's a scoop to get KJ on the record. Exactly how a reporter should handle a big story.

I feel for Big Bubba and I sure to hope he is able to return to his old self before the season is over.  If not I wonder if Gus used him too much for him to take a redshirt year?  I had plantar faciatis and it is very hard to get over.  It feels like a rock under your heel and it generally takes months to get better.   That is without further aggravating it, which he is surely doing.  When I had it a podiatrist gave me a cortisone shot in the side of my heel.  OH MY GOD!  You talking about hurt! He told me to lay down and I said "why"?  He said " we have found that folks generally can't scream as loud laying down"!   Think about having a long needle stuck into the side of your heel!  It gives me the shakes just thinking about it again!

I feel sorry for Pettway because the 34 carries against Mercer was beyond stupid by the coaching staff especially when it was obvious the man was injured.  See Sean White against UGA in 2015 and 2016 for further evidence that our HC has not hesitated to put an injured player in the game for no reason.

I know Pettway will do whatever the coaches ask of him and he should be commended for giving the effort.  But, it is obvious, when injured like he is now, Pettway is an absolute liablity to the team and is probably the 4th best running back on the team.  Pettway is an average at best back right now with his injuries.  He should not be on the field.

wde

10 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I feel sorry for Pettway because the 34 carries against Mercer was beyond stupid by the coaching staff especially when it was obvious the man was injured.  See Sean White against UGA in 2015 and 2016 for further evidence that our HC has not hesitated to put an injured player in the game for no reason.

I know Pettway will do whatever the coaches ask of him and he should be commended for giving the effort.  But, it is obvious, when injured like he is now, Pettway is an absolute liablity to the team and is probably the 4th best running back on the team.  Pettway is an average at best back right now with his injuries.  He should not be on the field.

wde

Gus does have a penchant for playing injured players.  I think Pettway, as SW last year, wants to play.  There should be an adult in the room when these decisions are made.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus does have a penchant for playing injured players.  I think Pettway, as SW last year, wants to play.  There should be an adult in the room when these decisions are made.

Of course there should be an adult in the room.  I have yet to see evidence that we have one at the HC position when it comes to this.

wde

We really need to give Miller and Barrett more carries each game for the rest of the season, and let KP redshirt and rehab correctly for next season. Add Kmart to the mix, we can give KJ enough rest each game and let him carry the ball 15-20 times and no more each of the remaining games with Miller, Barrett, and Kmart carrying the rest of the season.

With JS getting better each game with passing and game management, we have the backs and receivers to have 450 plus yardage each game remaining.  I see Uga and bammer as games with lower scores than Uga and bammer have had all season.  Both games can easily be 24-17 types of games with the winner being Auburn if we keep things going the way it is.

Archived