What Clemson fans think of the game

TAYLORKEETON

Seems like all trash talk. They are really confident. They are at home, cannot blame them. It will be a huge challenge but... we will bring it. 

I feel dumber for having read some of the posts there.  Lots of trash talk and actual analysis is few and far between.  I can understand why they'd be confident, fans have that right coming off a NC season, but that board is all trash talk from what I saw.  It'd be a fun place to visit following a Clemson loss.

I didn't waste any time reading any Clemson fan posts, but they have every right to be confident and expect to win. Defending champs at home. And regardless of their week 1 opponent, they played a solid game (mid-season form). It's gonna take a lot of improvement from our offense to come out of their with a win. The talent is there, the question is if we are ready yet.  

I'd prefer it if Auburn fans wouldn't go over there and run their mouths.  We've proven nothing yet.  Clemson is the reigning national champion and have beaten us the last two or three times we've played.  

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I'd prefer it if Auburn fans wouldn't go over there and run their mouths.  We've proven nothing yet.  Clemson is the reigning national champion and have beaten us the last two or three times we've played.  

Preach

Don't forget even in 2010 when we had Cam, Clemson took it to overtime and we barely escaped. I believe that was an early season game as well. There should be no trash talking from Auburn until we reach the top.  Even then I'd like to think Auburn Fans are humble enough to not need to brag.

It is funny just to look at how they form sentences on that forum.  It is like an 8 year old texting.  It is quite funny actually.  It also makes me thankful for our MODs putting this forum together because that one looks like a website from the early 2000's.  Never been a fan of trash talking either, or even making bets of any kind.  I prefer to go out there and let my team or my performance do the talking.  Looking forward to the game.

I will say though, they need to remember who they modeled their university after.  The mascot (modeled very poorly), colors, campus architecture, and stadium were taken directly from us.  Even their first football coach was a former Auburn coach.

Thanks to everyone who checked out their forum....the warnings have caused me to avoid wasting time even looking at it.   

As an old fart, I just can't get used to the meaningless trash talk t hat is so popular these days....most of which comes from anonymous posters who figure they won't be held accountable for it.     Is there any wonder that when the trash talk takes place in public, some jerk is going to feel the need to answer it with fists?

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks to everyone who checked out their forum....the warnings have caused me to avoid wasting time even looking at it.   

As an old fart, I just can't get used to the meaningless trash talk t hat is so popular these days....most of which comes from anonymous posters who figure they won't be held accountable for it.     Is there any wonder that when the trash talk takes place in public, some jerk is going to feel the need to answer it with fists?

Tricky  time for Auburn fans- we've been in no position to talk trash for a few years.

I assure you we are not all bad. I don't like trash talk either. Good ribbing between fan bases is great but trash talk isn't necessary. I read all my Clemson updates on Tigernet and I always try to visit the discussion boards of other fan bases on the week leading up to the game to get an idea on how confident their fans are. With that being said most of the confident levels are not any lower than those you pointed out that pthe Clemson fans have expressed. My honest assessment is nervousness because we really don't know anything about either team based on week 1 overmatched opponents. I think both teams are loaded with talent but have been untested  we will both get more answers about the programs come Saturday night. Here's to a great game and hopefully with a Clemson win! 

And with a 14-34-2 record against us all that later land grant college needs is to continue their winning streak against Auburn the next...21 opportunities. Without losing. Just saying. :wareagle:

10 hours ago, GoAU said:

I feel dumber for having read some of the posts there.  Lots of trash talk and actual analysis is few and far between.  I can understand why they'd be confident, fans have that right coming off a NC season, but that board is all trash talk from what I saw.  It'd be a fun place to visit following a Clemson loss.

our first loss coming off of a NC was to Clemson. we owe them one.  Rushing the field like they had never been there before and Dabo gloating  

54 minutes ago, ClemsonFan4Life said:

I assure you we are not all bad. I don't like trash talk either. Good ribbing between fan bases is great but trash talk isn't necessary. I read all my Clemson updates on Tigernet and I always try to visit the discussion boards of other fan bases on the week leading up to the game to get an idea on how confident their fans are. With that being said most of the confident levels are not any lower than those you pointed out that pthe Clemson fans have expressed. My honest assessment is nervousness because we really don't know anything about either team based on week 1 overmatched opponents. I think both teams are loaded with talent but have been untested  we will both get more answers about the programs come Saturday night. Here's to a great game and hopefully with a Clemson win! 

I've met quite a few Clemson fans, and never had a bad experience with them.

8 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I was at the Clemson game in 2010, sitting near a couple of Clemson fans who were pretty respectable throughout the game. Even after the loss, the guy (it was a male/female couple) shook my hand and just asked that we be sure to beat South Carolina the next week. Thus, I really don't have so much of a problem with them. Wasn't exactly crazy about Dabo's boastfulness after winning in 2011, but he's a good coach without a doubt. I just hope he lays an egg with this game.

We'd be just fine with Clemson fans if they hadn't beaten us several times in the last few years and if Dabo didn't do whatever that thing was. 

And we'd sure as heck love Dabo if he were our coach. 

15 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

They used to be better, but they have become more cocky and obnoxious over the last few years.

I think since Dabo replaced Tommy Bowden at Clemson, and Jimbo Fisher replaced Bobby Bowden at FSU, the two teams have been the two dominant teams in the ACC Atlantic Division, and in the years since both have become national contenders. This makes them more like Bama or Ohio State fans. Think of Florida fans back in the Urban Meyer era. Heck, we were probably pretty obnoxious during our good periods.

1 hour ago, ClemsonFan4Life said:

Welcome!

I also found the OP link a good source of local, updated, game-related traffic info (and have cited it in our "Irma" thread).

All - Plan and stay safe.

This is exactly why I started this topic. Not to start crap on other message boards, but just to see what everybody is saying. 

I grew up in SC as a son/granson/nephew of die-hard Clemson alums/fans (don't make SC incest jokes - they were 3 different people!), so that's the team I pulled for until I matriculated on the Plains. Also, dad was a USCe grad, and I generally did (do?) whatever I could to get under his skin, so being a Clemson fan had that as a bonus.

I've also managed to find several friends while living in Atlanta who are Clemson alums and represent their school well. I'll be watching the game with them this weekend. A couple of them are in pretty much the same boat as me: We really don't think we know much after watching the opening games and we think the game is winnable, but should be a good matchup. One of them, however, is quite confident - not really in a cocky way, but more in the way of someone who's enamored with that 56-3 result and the stats that came with it. I believe his exact words were "Bryant is going to run all over Auburn." Which, I mean, he may, but... we'll see.

I keep going back to this: In terms of the overall goals of our season, this game isn't all that critical in my mind, so long as it's competitive (keep it within a score?) and we look competent. If we lose a close one on the road to a top-5 defending national champion non-conference opponent, the season is still in front of us. Winning out still probably gets us into the playoffs. 

Clemson, on the other hand, has everything to lose. The ACC looks a bit weaker after taking their lumps against SEC teams last weekend and with FSU losing their starting QB for the season. In terms of impressing voters, there may not be many more opportunities for them this season if they lose this home game.

{I'm curious how you guys feel about that train of thought.}

So hopefully our guys won't be feeling pressure so much as excitement and are just able to keep it loose and execute. We'll see what happens.

I don't know that I want to venture over to other boards. I'm teetering in this happy place of not being too concerned about this football game and that might tip me in the wrong direction.

16 hours ago, bryanlooney said:

I grew up in SC as a son/granson/nephew of die-hard Clemson alums/fans (don't make SC incest jokes - they were 3 different people!), so that's the team I pulled for until I matriculated on the Plains. Also, dad was a USCe grad, and I generally did (do?) whatever I could to get under his skin, so being a Clemson fan had that as a bonus.

I've also managed to find several friends while living in Atlanta who are Clemson alums and represent their school well. I'll be watching the game with them this weekend. A couple of them are in pretty much the same boat as me: We really don't think we know much after watching the opening games and we think the game is winnable, but should be a good matchup. One of them, however, is quite confident - not really in a cocky way, but more in the way of someone who's enamored with that 56-3 result and the stats that came with it. I believe his exact words were "Bryant is going to run all over Auburn." Which, I mean, he may, but... we'll see.

I keep going back to this: In terms of the overall goals of our season, this game isn't all that critical in my mind, so long as it's competitive (keep it within a score?) and we look competent. If we lose a close one on the road to a top-5 defending national champion non-conference opponent, the season is still in front of us. Winning out still probably gets us into the playoffs. 

Clemson, on the other hand, has everything to lose. The ACC looks a bit weaker after taking their lumps against SEC teams last weekend and with FSU losing their starting QB for the season. In terms of impressing voters, there may not be many more opportunities for them this season if they lose this home game.

{I'm curious how you guys feel about that train of thought.}

So hopefully our guys won't be feeling pressure so much as excitement and are just able to keep it loose and execute. We'll see what happens.

I don't know that I want to venture over to other boards. I'm teetering in this happy place of not being too concerned about this football game and that might tip me in the wrong direction.

I think we'd be in the same boat win or lose. We are still breaking in a new QB so if we lose this game but keep it competitive and win out I don't see us getting left out of the playoffs. Same with Auburn. Hopefully both teams come out with no injuries and play a hard fought and competitive game which is what I expect. Win or lose we could still see each other in the playoffs if we are both as good as we expect to be. Can't wait for Saturday night!

I live in the heart of Clemson country and as noted, have found the people I know to be respectful and not so full of themselves.  Of course most of the folks I know are older guys like myself who remember the days not so long ago when Clemson was not flying so high and Spurrier owned them.  Guess they know that sports success can be a fleeting thing.

Archived