Alabama A M Auburn Football

Auburn wide receiver Kyle Davis (86) catches a pass over Alabama A&M defensive back Mike Mills (34) for a touchdown on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016, in Auburn, Ala.

AP Photo/Butch Dill

After missing all of his second spring on campus, Kyle Davis returned to Auburn over the summer in need of playing catchup.

Three months later, it seems the sophomore wide receiver has been able to do exactly that. Five days before the start of the regular season Saturday against Georgia Southern, Chip Lindsey said, Davis is “back in a groove.”

And expectations for the athletic 6-foot-2, 213-pound pass-catcher are high.

“I've seen a guy that's hungry, a guy that's excited to be there,” Auburn’s offensive coordinator said of Davis on Sunday. “He's a really good competitor. Obviously, he's very talented, for sure. I think he's done a nice job of transitioning back into football mode. … (I’m) looking for big things out of him.”

Davis flashed that ability at times during a freshman campaign during which he caught 12 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns, including a one-handed, highlight-reel grab against Arkansas State in Week 2.

But the Loganville, Ga., native fell off after a strong start to his debut season, catching just three passes for 36 yards over Auburn’s seven games after hauling in nine balls for 212 through the first six. The fact that he missed the entire spring to deal with a personal matter didn’t help matters, especially given that the Tigers were learning a new offense.

Davis, though, took it upon himself to bring himself up to the level of all the receivers who did go through Lindsey’s inaugural spring, spending time on his own going over film of the things he missed in the fall.

“He’s done a good job. He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do,” wide receivers coach Kodi Burns said. “I think that he’s just got to continue to progress. He’s a freak of an athlete. Now, we just have to get him developed into a true receiver, which he is. Just keep working with him each and every single day, and I think he’ll continue to progress.”

If he does, Burns said, Davis “can be one of those guys on Saturdays that can make a lot of plays for us.” He appears to be the favorite to start in the big slot, or “5,” position, where he’ll likely share time with tight end of Sal Cannella.

But now that he’s back in that groove, Lindsey thinks the former four-star recruit is versatile enough to make an impact at both the inside and outside receiver spots in Auburn’s attack.

“I call him a mutant,” wide receiver Darius Slayton said. “Have you ever seen him? He's a big kid. I wish I came in looking like that.

“But he's a really good player, too. I think he brings a lot of energy to the table. He's a very excitable guy. It's good to have him back out there.”