Auburn has 'multiple' options at Wildcat

aubiefifty

43 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I'll take a gander at it:

1) The high road answer would be sportsmanship, professionalism, blah, blah, blah......

2)  The QB's are split wide making them less likely to line up against an LBer or larger player.   So, unless they are going to cheap shot the QB, he is more likely to be able protect himself against an equally or smaller sized player.  

3) In a true HUNH situation, and with officials paying a lot closer attention to hits on the QB, I would expect that that team is not likely to sacrifice a starter to ejection for roughing up the QB.

But what do I know.

Good points. I didn't particularly mean a dirty/ejection worthy hit but I didn't really provide any details into the hypothetical, either.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that could qualify as defensive holding if the offensive player doesn't engage the defender first, but I'm not sure.

Also, just pulled this one randomly, but look how far out the QB is split. He is close enough to the sideline that he could just run out of bounds if he thought it necessary; however, that is taking a defender completely out of the play. In the video, the defender cheats out just enough to ensure that the QB isn't a receiving option, but not so much that he can't get to the ball carrier if it comes to his side. 

The video won't play but that's a good point he could just run out of bounds to avoid any roughing up. And yes, the defense would have to devote a guy to just hit the QB even though he's completely out of the play. Could be dangerous when the wildcat is already set up to outnumber the defense

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I believe Gus's rationale was that KJ was the smartest and most dependable player with the ball in his hands the last 2 seasons. If you look at the way he used him as a true freshman in 2015, it's obvious that he trusted him immediately. Conversely, if you look at how he treated Sean in the red zone, it was obvious that he had no trust in him.

And, again, KJ scored 10 touchdowns last year with the play.

I'm not saying that it was always or even usually deployed in the most intelligent manner, but there were very good reasons to use even an augmented/limited version of it a lot of the time. 

And that's fair enough, I suppose, but you lose the advantage of the defense no knowing who will take the snap when you use a substitution package for that one play.

Just now, Tiger said:

The video won't play but that's a good point he could just run out of bounds to avoid any roughing up. And yes, the defense would have to devote a guy to just hit the QB even though he's completely out of the play. Could be dangerous when the wildcat is already set up to outnumber the defense

Yeah. In the Vikings version, at least, he's 3 yards from the sideline and 2 yards behind the LoS, and doesn't even move when the ball is snapped. It just doesn't look like a feasible maneuver. 

The original Wildcat was run out of a standard personnel set without substitution. Both OTs lined up to one side for an unbalanced line, the QB lined up as a WR to so there was a WR to each side forcing the CBs to respect the threat, the RB was the direct-snap back, and one of the WRs ran the jet-sweep.

It could be run out of a HUNH offense with no substitution, but create a power running, or goal-line type offense with mismatches--mismatches made worse by the inability of the defense to substitute.

Also, in the original Wildcat the jet-sweep could be used to create a pre-snap read option. If the play-side LB widened to respect the sweep, the RB could keep. If the play-side LB stayed put, the RB would hand it to the jet-sweep back. The blocking was similar in both cases (power play to the play side), so it really was an inside run off tackle or a jet-sweep to the corner.

Many coaches, including CGM and CCL have made their "Wildcat" more a planned direct snap to the RB, with personnel substitutions, and in the case of CCL, no jet-sweep motion. In the case of CGM, he abandoned the unbalanced line.

Personally, if we use a Wildcat I would prefer the original concept, with no substitution.

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Just let it die.  There is a reason no one runs it anymore. (Unless you have Cam and don't call it wildcat).

Just to note that the Panthers will run it with McCaffrey on the field with Cam

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I'd care about wildcat news if Auburn ran more than one play out of it.  If I was a DC I would load the box and tell my guys wherever 21 goes you go

Then 21 hits te for touchdowns!

Archived