triple option will present challenges

aubiefifty

Georgia Southern triple option will 'present challenges' for Auburn

Posted on August 25, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Auburn is well aware of Georgia Southern's recent history of playing well against SEC teams.

Both coach Gus Malzahn and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele cited GSU's win over Florida in 2013 and overtime loss to Georgia in 2015 this week in referencing how the Tigers are beginning to prepare for the Eagles on Sept. 2 (6:30 p.m. CT, SEC Network). The Eagles also lost to Ole Miss by 10 last season.

"They present challenges with that triple option, there's no doubt," Malzahn said. "They played a lot of big teams good. You can see they're a talented team, so that definitely concerns you. We need to play well."

Auburn, Jarrett Stidham set sights on Georgia Southern

Auburn, Jarrett Stidham set sights on Georgia Southern

Auburn began on-field preparations for Georgia Southern on Monday

On Monday, Georgia Southern named redshirt-freshman Shai Werts its starting quarterback. Werts had more than 6,000 total yards and 73 touchdowns in his high school career, which will be Auburn's main frame of reference on him besides whatever footage it can find of GSU's spring game.

"You have to (look at high school tape)," Malzahn said. "You just do the best you can as far as homework and getting as much information as you can."

Steele and the defensive staff were pouring though Cal Poly film from 2009-12 to see what new GSU offensive coordinator Bryan Cook might run.

Reports out of the Statesboro indicate the Eagles will run a shotgun-based triple option but will have a package to go under center as well.

"These guys are very good players, they're very well coached," Steele said on the Tiger Talk radio program Thursday night. "There's a pride at Georgia Southern that was established by coach (Erk) Russell back when he started the program and that's deeply embedded in that program and you can see it on tape."

The Eagles gained 267 rushing yards on 59 carries with two touchdowns against Ole Miss, most by a non-SEC team against the Rebels last season.

RELATED: Auburn prepares for unique challenge against GSU triple-option

Steele's familiarity with triple option attacks from his experience facing Georgia Tech while at Clemson should help.

"The fact that's such a unique offense and I think the good thing is we have a long period to prepare," Malzahn said. "Some teams only have a week to prepare and it's a little bit challenging, but Kevin is a guy that has a good understanding of the triple option and has defending it before. Experience does nothing but help.

"Now, does that mean they're easy to stop? No. They're good at what they do."

I really like the offense because when executed correctly it is difficult to defend.  The defense has to be very disciplined and stay in their assignments to be successful.  That means doing your job and trusting each of your teammates to do their job.  When you try to do more than your job you get burned. It may turn into a scoring battle.  

This will prepare us well defensively for Clemson. Not so much with scheme, but with assignment, discipline, and trust in each other.

The best defense against the triple option is to throw three quick TD passes in the first quarter and make them play from behind. Stidham to Craig, Stidham to K Davis, and Stidham to Slayton ought to do it. :jossun:

• WarTiger changed the title to triple option will present challenges

I think defensive players have a tendency to play more cautiously when they are worried about the offensive players taking out their knees! Option teams like to cut block and occasionally chop block. 

57 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We should kick GA Southern's ass from the start.  No excuses this year.  

wde

Yep I don't want to hear anything about starting off slow. We on a mission. No mercy.

GS fan/alum/beat writer here. 

The Eagles definitely have their hands full. What we're really worried about is the youth of our team. Solid execution of our offense gives even the best defenses headaches, but a lack of execution can turn things ugly in a hurry. 

I expect that the game game plan will be to take care of the ball and focus on moving the chains instead of trying to set up a play call designed to cross up the AU defense and spring a big play. 

Auburn's offense is a handful, to say the least. So a GS offense that eats clock, scores a few times and maybe gets the up-tempo Tiger offense a little antsy from standing around is our best bet. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:24 PM, AUIH1 said:

We should kick GA Southern's ass from the start.  No excuses this year.  

wde

Our offense should jump on them quickly.  The defense might take a few series to settle in and might give up some points.  It's an unorthodox attack that frequently gives Power 5 teams problems.

Recent games against teams from the P5:

Lost to Ga Tech 35-24
Lost to Ole Miss 37-27

Lost to West Va. 44-0
Lost to Georgia 23-17 (OT)

Lost to NC State 24-23
Lost to Ga Tech 42-38

[moved from FCS to FBS after 2013 season]

Beat Florida 26-20

Lost to Georgia 45-14

Lost to Alabama 45-21

I am usually a cautiously optimistic poster. Which is where I stand for the season and normally any type of Option Veer type team would scare me. That said this is a new Ga. Southern team from the ones that gave other teams fits.with a new QB.  I believe we will blow them away quickly.

Then the following week we get some idea of if we are as good as some of the hype that we have been hearing.  I think we are but until I see our O-line against a good defensive line which Clemson has I am withholding judgement. 

9 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Still, I'm curious as to why., with GS results with P5 teams in the last couple of years, we are a five TD favorite. 

Because we were awful last year and retained our head coach. However people are heavily underestimating how much of a difference replacing our OC is going to make. Im not picking us to win but I highly doubt this is a WVU 44-0 type game. 

But kudos to you if it is. Because I honestly think we are an 8-9 win type team this year (if the Offense comes together). 

Don't get me wrong, I would love for that to be a solid prediction/line but you guys did not get blown out but once last year. Even tho your final w/l record was not that great. I am a very cautious AU fan!

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Don't get me wrong, I would love for that to be a solid prediction/line but you guys did not get blown out but once last year. Even tho your final w/l record was not that great. I am a very cautious AU fan!

Yep... Georgia Southern horribly underperformed with a team that had 16 experienced seniors in key positions.

the new HC last year said he'd stick to the option, but the OC hiring process reportedly had a few option-oriented guys either bail or not agree to contracts. That left us with co-OCs who had questionable track records and virtually no true option background. 

The way way I tried to describe it last season was that anyone can draw up a triple-option formation on a whiteboard and tell the QB to give/keep/pitch, but drawing up the blocking and using the option game to attack specific defenses is a totally different game. 

I I think the key difference this season will be that the offense - through better scheming and overall planning - will be in better position to gash defenses when assignments break down. Our overall playmaking talent is down a bit and inexperience will probably lead to a few costly turnovers and unnecessary losses over the season, but if our young and raw talent meshes with an offensive staff that now has three former OCs with heavy option backgrounds, there will be flashes of brilliance. 

I imagine rain will effect things this weekend.  Who benefits most? Usually the better running team.  I would think triple option would be tougher in heavy rain with all the fake hand offs etc. Might bring the score down some. 

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I imagine rain will effect things this weekend.  Who benefits most? Usually the better running team.  I would think triple option would be tougher in heavy rain with all the fake hand offs etc. Might bring the score down some. 

Could go either way. Last time it rained on us we scored 50+ points in a bowl game (so it didn't hurt us any). But if it gets slick then yeah it's gonna be an issue for both teams. 

Rain would benefit the triple option more.  Honestly the cut blocks scare me to death.  I know they aren't trying to hurt us, but constantly diving at the knees is always scary.  If we get up by a few touchdowns I think we need to pull the starting defensive line.  Need them for Clemson.  

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

The defense might take a few series to settle in and might give up some points.  It's an unorthodox attack that frequently gives Power 5 teams problems.

This ain't rocket science, especially with better athletes.  If we slow play and read/react then I will puke.

Assignment football.  Tackle the dive, tackle the QB, and tackle the pitch.  Man up the receivers and if they can beat us one on one we deserve to lose.  I want to see the QB being decimated on every fricking snap.  If not, I will be cussing KS the entire game.  In  fact, if their starting QB finishes the game, he is either a stud, or we didn't play it correctly on defense.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

This ain't rocket science, especially with better athletes.  If we slow play and read/react then I will puke.

Assignment football.  Tackle the dive, tackle the QB, and tackle the pitch.  Man up the receivers and if they can beat us one on one we deserve to lose.  I want to see the QB being decimated on every fricking snap.  If not, I will be cussing KS the entire game.  In  fact, if their starting QB finishes the game, he is either a stud, or we didn't play it correctly on defense.

Exactly! Put the QB on the ground every play.  Best way to defend the option. Wear him out!

6 hours ago, CC Eagle said:

GS fan/alum/beat writer here. 

The Eagles definitely have their hands full. What we're really worried about is the youth of our team. Solid execution of our offense gives even the best defenses headaches, but a lack of execution can turn things ugly in a hurry. 

I expect that the game game plan will be to take care of the ball and focus on moving the chains instead of trying to set up a play call designed to cross up the AU defense and spring a big play. 

Auburn's offense is a handful, to say the least. So a GS offense that eats clock, scores a few times and maybe gets the up-tempo Tiger offense a little antsy from standing around is our best bet. 

It will likely be a scenario where Auburn gets on the board early and will not let up until we are at least 24-28 points ahead. I do think GSU will have around 230-260 yards on the ground and no more than 110 yards in the air. I think Auburn's defense will cause a lot of problems for GSU running game with the speed of our front 7 and even more so with the back 4 or 5.  It will be very difficult for GSU to hold Auburn to under 475 yards. I am not saying GSU has a bad team whatsoever, and should have a winning record when all is said and done. No disrespect here, but just seeing things the way they are.

20 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It will likely be a scenario where Auburn gets on the board early and will not let up until we are at least 24-28 points ahead. I do think GSU will have around 230-260 yards on the ground and no more than 110 yards in the air. I think Auburn's defense will cause a lot of problems for GSU running game with the speed of our front 7 and even more so with the back 4 or 5.  It will be very difficult for GSU to hold Auburn to under 475 yards. I am not saying GSU has a bad team whatsoever, and should have a winning record when all is said and done. No disrespect here, but just seeing things the way they are.

I hear ya. I'm a bit more optimistic than that, but with the youth and inexperience and a new offensive scheme, I don't doubt Auburn can make it a long day if things go haywire. 

That said, the offensive line is the most experienced part of the offense and will play above its grade on paper. And The skill player may make mistakes, but they have the raw skill to cause problems if Auburn misses assignments. 

The oracle guy calling for every RB and QB to get hit on every play is singing a song GSU fans have heard a million times. With very few exceptions, that sort of thinking rarely pans out. 

My prediction is that a few promising flashes by the GSU offense are negated by a couple of turnovers and an Auburn offense that will be able to run well between the tackles and without taking risks. GSU scores early to scare you a bit and scores late to make the scoreboard look decently competitive... AU wins it 38-17. 

22 hours ago, CC Eagle said:

I hear ya. I'm a bit more optimistic than that, but with the youth and inexperience and a new offensive scheme, I don't doubt Auburn can make it a long day if things go haywire. 

That said, the offensive line is the most experienced part of the offense and will play above its grade on paper. And The skill player may make mistakes, but they have the raw skill to cause problems if Auburn misses assignments. 

The oracle guy calling for every RB and QB to get hit on every play is singing a song GSU fans have heard a million times. With very few exceptions, that sort of thinking rarely pans out. 

My prediction is that a few promising flashes by the GSU offense are negated by a couple of turnovers and an Auburn offense that will be able to run well between the tackles and without taking risks. GSU scores early to scare you a bit and scores late to make the scoreboard look decently competitive... AU wins it 38-17. 

You seem to have a good feel with GSU's 2017 team.  I think you are correct with how the game could start and likely will end. It will be a fun game to watch no doubt in that I miss the good old days of Bo Jackson eating up huge chunks of yardage when we ran the wishbone back in the day. I know what you will be running is not the true wishbone offense, but nonetheless an option offense that will be fun to watch.  I hope you guys wind up with a 9-3 season or better as long as 1 of the losses is to Auburn!

On 8/28/2017 at 6:00 PM, AUBwins said:

I don't think it is supposed to rain anymore. Looks like it will be a nice evening for Auburn football. 

Archived