The journey of Travis Williams

aubiefifty

The incredible journey of Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams

AUBURN, Ala. – Travis Williams was a linebacker with a nose for the football and a love for the game, but Auburn assistant Joe Whitt had come to the same conclusion as most others. At 5-foot-11 and 188 pounds, he simply wasn’t big enough to play college football at the highest level.

Whitt’s plan was to take one last look at Williams, who had starred at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, S.C., and deliver the same news South Carolina, Clemson and others had.

“He had great speed, but he was an undersized football player that I thought we would better off without,” Whitt says.

READ MORE: http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/A-matter-of-heart-The-incredible-journey-of-Auburn-linebackers-c-106384548

I agree with Coach Whitt.  We're blessed to have Coach T-Will while we have him, but he's got too much potential to stay as a position coach for too long.  In the next couple of years, someone will be calling for him to be a DC.  Let's enjoy him while we have him.  Not to get too far ahead, but maybe one day we can get him back to Auburn as our DC or Head Coach. 

Just now, oracle79 said:

KS isn't a spring chicken by any means.  

Yeah, that thought occurred to me, but I was hesitant to mention it because Steele is doing a good job for us and seems to be in good health.  No need to push him out the door if he's getting good results and still wants to coach.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“A lot of people understand Xs and Os, but they don’t understand kids,” Whitt says. “They can tell you everything about football and know it inside-out. Unless you have the ability to communicate that to players, it doesn’t matter.

That pretty much sums it up.  Hope we keep him as long as Whitt.

Love him when he was playing and love him now that he is coaching! Just think if we could get TRob and TWill on the same staff. All your D recruits would be ours!! I know throwing TRob in there was a bit random but i've just really been enjoying the DB recruits he brought in for us

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Travis is turning out to be a really fine coach and recruiter.

Do you feel this is a must year in coaching and recruiting for Travis?

• WarTiger changed the title to The journey of Travis Williams

I wanted TRob to be our DC after Boom left and it was evident that we were not going to hire someone like Aranda.  I am still not sold on Steele as DC.  Boom laid the groundwork for the 2016 D.

wde

20 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I wanted TRob to be our DC after Boom left and it was evident that we were not going to hire someone like Aranda.  I am still not sold on Steele as DC.  Boom laid the groundwork for the 2016 D.

wde

I find it odd, with all of the complaints about Gus learning on the job, that people think we'd be better off with a DC that has no experience as a DC, especially after the kind of defensive performance we had last year under Steele. Sure, Muschamp started the turn-around but the D kept improving under Steele and is expected to be even better this year, while replacing the two star players.

39 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I find it odd, with all of the complaints about Gus learning on the job, that people think we'd be better off with a DC that has no experience as a DC, especially after the kind of defensive performance we had last year under Steele. Sure, Muschamp started the turn-around but the D kept improving under Steele and is expected to be even better this year, while replacing the two star players.

We will see. Our D started regressing starting with the Ole Miss game last year and that continued through the bowl game.   I have never complained about Gus learning on the job.  My opinion is that AU is not a job for a coach that needs to "learn on the job".  Unfortunately, we have an AD who is incapable of doing that.  That is why we have had Chizik and now Gus.  Gus is better than Chizik as HC.  Gus is the best coach that our AD is capable of hiring.   I hope this year Gus proves to be a good HC.

Additionally, Gus hired the ultimate hanger on in Rhett Lashlee as OC and allowed him to stay on the staff at least 2 years longer than he should have.

wde

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We will see. Our D started regressing starting with the Ole Miss game last year and that continued through the bowl game.   I have never complained about Gus learning on the job.  My opinion is that AU is not a job for a coach that needs to "learn on the job".  Unfortunately, we have an AD who is incapable of doing that.  That is why we have had Chizik and now Gus.  Gus is better than Chizik as HC.  Gus is the best coach that our AD is capable of hiring.   I hope this year Gus proves to be a good HC.

wde

Not to mention being a coordinator is 10000 x different than being a HC  , but hey who is making that distinction .

Just now, DAG said:

Not to mention being a coordinator is 10000 x different than being a HC  , but hey who is making that distinction .

That is true as well.  I hope that Kirby Smart is the next Gene Chizik in terms of a very good DC who was not a good HC.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

That is true as well.  I hope that Kirby Smart is the next Gene Chizik in terms of a very good DC who was not a good HC.

wde

There is a lot of that going around . Let's hope our coach doesn't fall into that realm . I do agree that Kevin Steele didn't reinvent the wheel, instead continued with the base that Will Muschamp laid out . That is and was a very smart thing to do .

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

There is a lot of that going around . Let's hope our coach doesn't fall into that realm . I do agree that Kevin Steele didn't reinvent the wheel, instead continued with the base that Will Muschamp laid out . That is and was a very smart thing to do .

Oh I agree that it was smart that Steele did that as well.  But TRob would have done the same thing with a bigger upside.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Oh I agree that it was smart that Steele did that as well.  But TRob would have done the same thing with a bigger upside.

wde

I am agreeing with you . I don't know if it would've been a bigger upside but with coordinators , you can at least get an continuation of what works , which is why the great coaches can just plug and chug when it comes to coordinators .

17 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Our D started regressing starting with the Ole Miss game last year and that continued through the bowl game.

That had everything to do with the fact that, starting with Sean's injury in the Ole Miss game, they were on the field a lot more because our offense was dead without Sean and Kam. They were gassed.  That's why they would look like world beaters in the first half and collapse in the second. If that's a function of any coach, it's coach Russell.

My opinion is that AU is not a job for a coach that needs to "learn on the job".

But Robinson would need to learn the job if we hired him as DC, yet you are saying that he has more of an upside than the seasoned DC that we have. 

Of course, no one really knows how good of a DC Kirby was, because he worked for one of the best defensive coaches in the country. A few more years at Georgia will tell the tale of whether bama was Kirby's D or Saban's.  The fact that bama had no drop off at all when he left makes it seem like it was Saban's.

In total agreement that I hope his success as a coordinator doesn't translate to head coach. 

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That had everything to do with the fact that, starting with Sean's injury in the Ole Miss game, they were on the field a lot more because our offense was dead without Sean and Kam. They were gassed.  That's why they would look like world beaters in the first half and collapse in the second. If that's a function of any coach, it's coach Russell.

But Robinson would need to learn the job if we hired him as DC, yet you are saying that he has more of an upside than the seasoned DC that we have. 

Regarding to learning on the job, I was refering to the HC position.

wde

Archived