Spears on Auburn: 'They're dangerous'

aubiefifty

Marcus Spears on Auburn: 'They're dangerous'

873 shares

Thinking about Auburn's potential for this season, Marcus Spears brought up the Tigers' 18-13 win over LSU last September.

Led by its defense, Auburn beat LSU without scoring a single touchdown.

The Tigers' defense was great last year, a unit that ranked seventh nationally in scoring defense. Spears, the former NFL defensive lineman and current SEC Network analyst, expects the defense to play at a high level again this season.

To Spears, Auburn has the talent to have a special year. The primary question mark for him, as it is for many in the football world, is the quarterback position.

While the competition for the starting position is ongoing, Jarrett Stidham is a much-hyped transfer who threw for 267 yards in one half during Auburn's spring game and will enter fall camp as the favorite to win the job.

"It hinges on Jarrett Stidham," Spears said. "Auburn is successful when the quarterback is good. We can talk about all these narratives, but Auburn has won when their quarterback has been dynamic. Gus Malzahn's offense has been very hard to defend when he has a guy that can run the (run-pass option) system at a high level."

Auburn was picked to finish second in the SEC West behind Alabama in the SEC preseason media poll that was released last week.

In May, Sports Illustrated had Auburn at No. 10 in its post-spring power rankings.

"They're dangerous this year," Spears said. "They're dangerous to everybody. ... The defense is going to be very good again. So, legitimately, if (Stidham) is like this crazy good quarterback, the Iron Bowl's going to be epic."

Talking heads are so predictable.  If the QB is good the team will be good.  That's the case for almost every P5 team.  Go figure.  I do respect Spears opinion but give us some meat if you are a paid analyst.  Tell us why the defense is going to be good.  Break down the DL which you played at the professional level.  

Who's to say that bammer doesn't enter the IB with 3 losses already?  The game is played on the field.  Anything that precedes it just reputation. 

27 minutes ago, API said:

Who's to say that bammer doesn't enter the IB with 3 losses already?  The game is played on the field.  Anything that precedes it just reputation. 

I agree with you and I expect the SEC as a whole to come roaring back this year.  The QBs will all be a year older.  Expect Hurts, Fitzgerald, Eason, Bentley, Shurmur, Locke, Patterson, Allen, Ettling  all to be better with a year of experience.  

AU - talent upgrade in Stidham/Experience with White

UK - should get their QB's back healthy 

UF - Franks or Zaire

aTm - unknown at this time but their QBs generally do ok

UT - has talent but has ?'s

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I agree with you and I expect the SEC as a whole to come roaring back this year.  The QBs will all be a year older.  Expect Hurts, Fitzgerald, Eason, Bentley, Shurmur, Locke, Patterson, Allen, Ettling  all to be better with a year of experience.  

AU - talent upgrade in Stidham/Experience with White

UK - should get their QB's back healthy 

UF - Franks or Zaire

aTm - unknown at this time but their QBs generally do ok

UT - has talent but has ?'s

Mond is most likely to start for A&M. 

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Mond is most likely to start for A&M. 

Scary thought for Sumlin.  Hot seat plus True freshman QB in the toughest division in all of college football.  However I still expect Sumlin to be back if he just get bowl eligible.  The infrastructure they have invested puts them on par with their SEC counter parts.  What they must do not if they want to compete with the big boys of the SEC is work with Texas and eliminate Okie and LSU from getting players from the triangle area of Texas from Houston to Dallas to San Antonio.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Scary thought for Sumlin.  Hot seat plus True freshman QB in the toughest division in all of college football.  However I still expect Sumlin to be back if he just get bowl eligible.  The infrastructure they have invested puts them on par with their SEC counter parts.  What they must do not if they want to compete with the big boys of the SEC is work with Texas and eliminate Okie and LSU from getting players from the triangle area of Texas from Houston to Dallas to San Antonio.  

I personally think the Freshman thing might play to his hand. Can use it as a backfall if the team fails.

6 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

I personally think the Freshman thing might play to his hand. Can use it as a backfall if the team fails.

I think the fans realize he ran off 2 5* QBs.  I'm not sure he will get a pass at that position.  Especially after already bringing in a transfer last year for a bandaid.  

Just from people I've talked with around CS, he is sitting on the sun. Johnny bought him a few years, but his good will bank is tapped.  I've been around Sumlin a few times and he can be very abrasive. He has rubbed people with influence the wrong way many times and they have given him all the rope he needs.

Archived