Davidson, Holland, Brown

aubiefifty

What Auburn expects from defensive linemen Marlon Davidson, Jeff Holland, Derrick Brown

Posted on July 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown (5), Auburn linebacker Jeff Holland (4), Auburn defensive lineman Marlon Davidson (3) and Auburn defensive lineman Dontavius Russell (95) celebrate a fumble recovery in the first half Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016, during an NCAA football game against Clemson at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) ORG XMIT: ALBIN(JULIE BENNETT)

0 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn hopes Derrick Brown, Jeff Holland and returning starter Marlon Davidson can make up for the departures of Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams on the defensive line.

The Tigers lost players responsible for 14.5 of their 25 sacks and 34.5 of their 83 tackles for loss last season.

"We need some guys," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said, "to step up and fill that void."

Davidson, who started all 13 games at defensive end as a true freshman, had 38 tackles with six for loss, most of any returning defensive lineman, including 2.5 sacks en route to freshman All-SEC honors.

"From the moment he got on campus, he didn't look like a true freshman; he looked like a veteran just with the way he practiced, his work ethic, how tough he was," Malzahn said. "And he's a handful. He got a chance to be an impact player. I can't say enough good things about Marlon."

Auburn post-spring depth chart analysis: DE | DT | NT | Buck

Davidson will be asked to do more along with Holland, who had 13 tackles with two sacks and a fumble recovery as a sophomore and Brown, who had 11 tackles with a sack and fumble recovery as a true freshman.

"A lot of that is going to be placed on their shoulders," defensive line coach Rodney Garner said of Davidson and Brown. "They need to. I think Marlon is a pretty productive player himself last year. ... I was pleased with Derrick's spring. I actually have been pleased with Derrick overall, period. He and Marlon were two really mature young men coming in. I think they've done a really good job of handling expectations. I think you can see constant growth and their maturity.

What Auburn expects from defensive linemen Marlon Davidson, Jeff Holland, Derrick Brown

Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown (5), Auburn linebacker Jeff Holland (4), Auburn defensive lineman Marlon Davidson (3) and Auburn defensive lineman Dontavius Russell (95) celebrate a fumble recovery in the first half Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016, during an NCAA football game against Clemson at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) ORG XMIT: ALBIN
Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown (5), Auburn linebacker Jeff Holland (4), Auburn defensive lineman Marlon Davidson (3) and Auburn defensive lineman Dontavius Russell (95) celebrate a fumble recovery in the first half Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016, during an NCAA football game against Clemson at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) ORG XMIT: ALBIN(JULIE BENNETT)

0 shares

Auburn hopes Derrick Brown, Jeff Holland and returning starter Marlon Davidson can make up for the departures of Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams on the defensive line.

The Tigers lost players responsible for 14.5 of their 25 sacks and 34.5 of their 83 tackles for loss last season.

"We need some guys," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said, "to step up and fill that void."

Davidson, who started all 13 games at defensive end as a true freshman, had 38 tackles with six for loss, most of any returning defensive lineman, including 2.5 sacks en route to freshman All-SEC honors.

"From the moment he got on campus, he didn't look like a true freshman; he looked like a veteran just with the way he practiced, his work ethic, how tough he was," Malzahn said. "And he's a handful. He got a chance to be an impact player. I can't say enough good things about Marlon."

Auburn post-spring depth chart analysis: DE | DT | NTBuck

Davidson will be asked to do more along with Holland, who had 13 tackles with two sacks and a fumble recovery as a sophomore and Brown, who had 11 tackles with a sack and fumble recovery as a true freshman.

"A lot of that is going to be placed on their shoulders," defensive line coach Rodney Garner said of Davidson and Brown. "They need to. I think Marlon is a pretty productive player himself last year. ... I was pleased with Derrick's spring. I actually have been pleased with Derrick overall, period. He and Marlon were two really mature young men coming in. I think they've done a really good job of handling expectations. I think you can see constant growth and their maturity.

my puter will not allow me to delete this. i have same post with pics on the other one. sorry for the screwup.......

• WarTiger changed the title to Davidson, Holland, Brown

Archived