A Trip to Tuscaloosa?

jaydubb121

1. Dreamland in Mobile sucks ass...can't touch Ttown

2. No where in Bham or Htown can touch dreamland in ttown. That includes the following: Jim & Nicks, Ollies, Full Moon, Golden Rule (yuck), I cant remember the names of the two places in Htown that everybody loves...they are both on 72 really close to each other in madison...but neither can touch dreamland

3. No steakhouse comes close.

4. Places that do compare: Pineapple Willies, Rendezvous (different though), Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ memphis, Rum Boogie Cafe Memphis, Kings Court Memphis, Woodrow's Ttown, Archibald's Ttown.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not that anyone cares, but CALHOUN'S on the river in Knoxville has excellent ribs.......and BBQ of all kinds. YUMMY! i took my fiance to eat there this past sunday for Valentine's.

DELISH....... :big:

it's one of the few bright spots in knoxville.

Thanks for all the input and the inadvertent hijacking of the thread.

I'm going and will be sporting my SEC champs hat and I will compromise so as not to embarass my friends son and wear a gray auburn shirt instead of one of the orange ones. I'll let y'all know of any hijinks and/or illegal doings I see. Although my buddy has assured the bammites that this is no Albert Means case. A free education and 150,000 bucks is more than enough for them to keep their mouths shut :P

147151[/snapback]

Absolutely go - my sister went on a trip to the former Soviet Union when she was in high school and she didn't come back a commie. :big:

If it were anyone else but you (or War Tim), I might be worried about them - instead I am going to worry that those poor boobs in bammerland will never be the same... ;)

Go with a smile on your face, an SEC champs shirt on your body, and a ready "War Eagle!" on your lips!

Nonsense. If you go to Tuscaloosa, there's no need to pay for food, just stop by Bryant-Denny and help yourself to whatever's in the fridge. We do own the place after all. :D

Hey BG, one of those places in Madison you are talking about, could one of them be Greenbriar? Good food but out of the way for me when I'm home, have you had Beaugard's(sp?) wings?

Nightmareland ribs & sauce are horrible. :puke::puke: (No matter the city).

The BEST ribs in the southeast are at Jake & Rip's in Grenada, Ms.

No doubt about it.

Not Greenbriar...cant remember the name though...

And yeah, Beauregard's (sp?) has pretty good wangs and thangs.

Now I remember one of them...its like Thomas Pitt BBQ

I say this next statement with the full support of my brother, who is the biggest anti-Bama fan next to me in the world:

Dreamland ribs are outstanding.  I have eaten at the original and the one in Birmingham and the ribs are second to none.  The sauce is hard to describe, but I could make a meal out of it and white bread, forget the meat.

147134[/snapback]

I have eaten ribs all over the country and consider myself somewhat a conniseur of bar BQ ribs. Nothing to do with my anti-bama bias but on a scale of 1-10 Dreamland ribs are a 6. They are OK but not great. People who think they are great need to try some really good places.

147137[/snapback]

BINGO ! ! !

nightmare ribs & sauce are not even in the top ten. :no:

BG, what are your favorite places in the Huntsville area? Also, have you ever heard of the Cattleman's Club, it is in Fayetteville, TN.

I've heard of Cattleman's Club...ive never been.

I like Beauregard's and that place just down from Thomas Pitt. (its close to the McDonalds) and I like Gibson in Decatur.

CC isn't much on the inside but pretty good steak and prime rib. The Gibson's in H'ville and Whitts BBQ is what I grew up on, yum.

One of my buddies at work(runs the screen print shop), after hearing about my trip is swearing that by tomorrow he will have me a sweatshirt with the "losers" thing that was posted here not too long ago with Brodies picture on it and the tag about 40 years of cheating finally catching up with you. He thinks I don't have the cahones to wear it to the bball game. I told him If you build it I will wear it. So that should add some excitement. Now I feel better.

i gotta 2nd just about everything on BS's list...they all are great...except i got tired of buffalo phil's there near the end of my stint there...never got tired of pepito's!!

as far as dreamland goes, i think the ribs out at the original place are fantastic. never tried 'em anywhere else, though.

so...go, wear your auburn stuff (i'd personally not wear anything inflammatory, but hey...that's just me) proudly, and enjoy the visit. walk around denny chimes if you get a chance...the president's mansion is cool, if it's open, and if you go into the basement of bidgood, stop by room 10 and say hi to sherry... ***hi sherry!!*** tell her stan sent ya.

we do, of course, expect a full & detailed report.

ct

I've heard of Cattleman's Club...ive never been.

I like Beauregard's and that place just down from Thomas Pitt. (its close to the McDonalds) and I like Gibson in Decatur.

147211[/snapback]

That place is called Smokie's I believe and they are good. I have to say I have had better ribs than Dreamland, but I love the atmosphere in the Tuscaloosa Dreamland.

There is Dave's in Florence that has very good ribs. Sticky Fingers in Chattanooga has good ribs too.

Jaydubb, you would be better served to stop off in bamaham at Jim & Nick's.

They have very good ribs. Anywhere but nightmareland. :D

Actually WT , since this thread has meandered this direction, you know I am a third degree grillmeister. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere(to a restaurant) and eat ribs. I've already perfected them. It would be like me going to a restaurant in search of Grandma's fried chicken. It ain't gonna happen. So I won't waste my time looking at rib joints.

Actually WT , since this thread has meandered this direction, you know I am a third degree grillmeister. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere(to a restaurant) and eat ribs. I've already perfected them. It would be like me going to a  restaurant in search of Grandma's fried chicken. It ain't gonna happen. So I won't waste my time looking at rib joints.

147284[/snapback]

There you go!!! :D

BINGO ! ! !

nightmare ribs & sauce are not even in the top ten. :no:

147200[/snapback]

And how could you enjoying eating when you get nauseated looking at all those pics on the wall of the bear and 40 year's of bummers :big:

CC isn't much on the inside but pretty good steak and prime rib. The Gibson's in H'ville and Whitts BBQ is what I grew up on, yum.

147217[/snapback]

Gibson's and Whitt's are OK for you regular dining. But Lonestar and Outback has them beat by a mile for ribs. Actually the best Bar BQ I ever had in the Huntsville area was cooked in an otdoor pit by an old fellow in Owens Cross Rds. area. You just went out and knocked on the door of his house door and he would come outside to his pit and get you what you wanted. Unfortunately he's not doing it anymore. Maybe Ravad has been there too?

Today I finally realized that I would rather spend a day getting a hair by hair bikini wax administered by Joan Rivers than intentionally spend one second in Tuscaloosa. I'm not going.

I've invited them over for dinner after they get back and we'll toss back a few and discuss their experience. It seems the only right thing to do. Guess I'll have to cook ribs now.

Actually the best Bar BQ I ever had in the Huntsville area was cooked in an otdoor pit by an old fellow in Owens Cross Rds. area. You just went out and knocked on the door of his house door and he would come outside to his pit and get you what you wanted. Unfortunately he's not doing it anymore. Maybe Ravad has been there too?

147304[/snapback]

There used to be a place like that in the small community of Owassa, AL just north of Evergreen. It was Willie Roger's Barbeque. He did ribs and Boston Butts that would virtually melt in your mouth, and the sauce would make your tongue slap your brains out.

Archived