tight ends 'versatile' playmakers

aubiefifty

Chip Lindsey wants Auburn's tight ends to develop into 'versatile' playmakers

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

This spring has been busier than usual for Jalen Harris. That's to be expected with new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey running things on that side of the ball.

The little-used Auburn tight end has been moved around more and been more involved in the offense as Lindsey integrates his offensive scheme in with his personnel this spring. Through the first two weeks of practice, Harris -- as well as JUCO signee Sal Cannella -- has lined up at the tradition tight end spot, moved to the backfield at H-back and also been split out at receiver.

It's not that Auburn is trying to find the best fit for Harris and Cannella; it's that Lindsey wants his tight ends to be as versatile as can be. It's a different approach altogether from head coach Gus Malzahn's first four years on the Plains.

"There's been years we've had tight ends in places I've been that have been that have been really effective and there's been other years they haven't," Lindsey said. "I think the more versatile we can be with our tight ends and development and let those guys work at the different spots I only think it's going to help us."

The tight end position has been considerably underutilized during Malzahn's tenure at Auburn. Last season, Harris registered just two receptions for 16 yards, though both went for touchdowns. The first was on Malzahn's "Fight Song" trick play against Ole Miss, while the other was a 1-yard reception on a Wildcat pass from running back Kerryon Johnson as time expired in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.

Auburn's H-backs, tight ends will have 'similar' roles but be 'more involved' in offense

Auburn's H-backs, tight ends will have 'similar' roles but be 'more involved' in offense

Auburn plans to better utilize its H-backs and tight ends in the passing game under new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and position coach Larry Porter.

Those were the first two receptions of Harris' career, and the only two receptions by an Auburn tight end the last two seasons, as the position has been primarily used for blocking purposes.

While Harris said "nothing's really changed" for the tight ends under Lindsey, the group figured to be used more often in the offense, especially with Lindsey looking to open up the passing game next season.

"It's mostly the same type of offense," Harris said. "We're running. We're doing a lot of the same stuff at H-back. We've got a little couple of extra routes at tight end that I haven't ran yet. It's always fun running a couple more routes and just showing them what I can do."

The expansion of the tight ends' route tree is particularly telling. Over the last four years under Malzahn, Auburn tight ends have totaled just 27 receptions for 347 yards.

Harris hopes the additional routes lead to more opportunities in the passing game.  

"I've just got to do my part in practice," Harris said. "He's given me opportunities, and that's all I'm asking right now."

Harris, during his limited opportunities, has shown he has capable hands as a receiver. Cannella has shown to have more "wide receiver ability" as well, and the former JUCO prospect recorded 29 catches for 443 yards and seven touchdowns for the Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College Fighting Artichokes last season.

While Lindsey would like to see both of them work on their blocking and develop more during offseason strength and conditioning, he hopes the remainder of spring helps them emerge as reliable playmakers so he can tailor the offense around them and whichever other skill players rise to the top of the depth chart.

After all, as Lindsey pointed out during his introductory press conference in January, one of his top priorities as a play-caller is to get the ball to his best playmakers as often as possible. At Auburn, that has rarely been a tight end -- save for the late Phillip Lutzenkirchen between 2009-11 -- but that could change with Lindsey running the offense.

"We want a guy that's versatile," Lindsey said. "At the end of the day you build an offense around your playmakers and if your tight ends are in your top 3-5 playmakers, they're going to catch balls. That's the way it works. If not, you're going to get the ball to the guys that can score.... At the end of the day, after spring we'll evaluate the offense and see where we are and who our playmakers are and how we can get them the ball and the chips will kind of fall where they do."

Versatility is nice. Just utilizing them more in the passing game. That is all most of us are hoping for. We don't need any glorified FBs. SW would've had a field day with a capable TE last year.

I just don't understand why we never had traditional te's and utilized them like the other teams. This makes things a lot easier I think. 

• WarTiger changed the title to tight ends 'versatile' playmakers

Archived