Southern Cal needs a game

theMan

If the schedule can be adjusted so Auburn doesn't have to play the game in August or September AND we get a return game in 2006, then I say DO IT.

USC could remain #1 again from start to finish, and Auburn would clearly be the underdog. However, USC hasn't met a defense like Auburn's since the first game of 2003, and if the Tigers won, then it would catapult the program into the national spotlight. Even if Auburn loses, they would be favored in 2006 when they will be more likely to make a run at a MNC.

I agree that in the media's and most of the nation's eyes, this would be "The 2004 National Championship Game-8 months late" even though neither team is the same as 2004. We're graduating a lot of talented players, but USC's coaching staff has been pretty gutted by people taking other jobs.

From a USC standpoint, they probably should be looking for a 1-AA opponent, or weak 1-A. They already have eleven 1-A opponents to keep them competitive with other teams on a strength-of-schedule basis (well, as competitive as any PAC-10 schedule gets <_< ), so why not go for the big paycheck? Beat up a peon at home for the door receipts.

I agree that in the media's and most of the nation's eyes, this would be "The 2004 National Championship Game-8 months late" even though neither team is the same as 2004.  We're graduating a lot of talented players, but USC's coaching staff has been pretty gutted by people taking other jobs.

From a USC standpoint, they probably should be looking for a 1-AA opponent, or weak 1-A.  They already have eleven 1-A opponents to keep them competitive with other teams on a strength-of-schedule basis (well, as competitive as any PAC-10 schedule gets <_< ), so why not go for the big paycheck?  Beat up a peon at home for the door receipts.

145731[/snapback]

You obviously don't know much about USC. I guarantee you they won't go for a patsy. They would love to schedule a big time opponent because they are confident they can beat anybody. That's the mark of a champion.

I agree that in the media's and most of the nation's eyes, this would be "The 2004 National Championship Game-8 months late" even though neither team is the same as 2004.  We're graduating a lot of talented players, but USC's coaching staff has been pretty gutted by people taking other jobs.

From a USC standpoint, they probably should be looking for a 1-AA opponent, or weak 1-A.  They already have eleven 1-A opponents to keep them competitive with other teams on a strength-of-schedule basis (well, as competitive as any PAC-10 schedule gets <_< ), so why not go for the big paycheck?  Beat up a peon at home for the door receipts.

145731[/snapback]

You obviously don't know much about USC. I guarantee you they won't go for a patsy. They would love to schedule a big time opponent because they are confident they can beat anybody. That's the mark of a champion.

145737[/snapback]

They also don't make a lot of money off of door receipts. Unlike Auburn they aren't the only show in town. They don't have near our capacity and they don't typically sell out their games. At least they didn't before they became God's Gift to Football.

They don't have near our capacity and they don't typically sell out their games.  At least they didn't before they became God's Gift to Football.

145783[/snapback]

??? I thought they played in the LA Coliseum (Rose Bowl). Isn't that one of the biggest stadiums in the country? Or am I mistaken? (I can believe the "not filling it" part.)

They don't have near our capacity and they don't typically sell out their games.  At least they didn't before they became God's Gift to Football.

145783[/snapback]

??? I thought they played in the LA Coliseum (Rose Bowl). Isn't that one of the biggest stadiums in the country? Or am I mistaken? (I can believe the "not filling it" part.)

145796[/snapback]

Yes, they play in a stadium that COULD hold up to 100, 000. However, they cover around 40% of their seats with Tarps that have "U" "S" "C" on them. Kinda like UAB does with their extra seats in legion field.

I was REALLY disappointed when I went to the Colesium and saw that. Other than that is was a pretty cool stadium.

The "not filling it" thing happens everywhere that is considered a pro city. Even though LA doesn't have an NFL franchise anymore, College Football isn't the only game in town. Kinda like Miami. Great program, great tradition. Semi-loyal fanbase.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Finebaum is reporting the news about USC's open date and that Tuberville did not want to play. Of course, he made a big deal out of it. Bigger than it should have been anyway. Of course, he had nothing to substaniate his claim either.

If we ignore Finebaum, do you think he'll go away?

Just listened to the start of Finebaum a bit ago. He starts out talking about his topics for the day and talks about Auburn trying to fill the schedule vacancy. He says in passing that he heard a story that USC had contacted AU about a game but AU wanted no part of that.

Finebaum goes on to say he has nothing to substantiate it but it's just a story floating around. But he also says IF IT'S TRUE...then Tommy has been screaming for a game with USC and now he doesn't want one.....

In typical Finebaum fashion, he's started his own little rumor by throwing that out there and some people will pick up on it as if Auburn just pulled out of a game with USC. Watch the reaction today on Finebaum. He'll fan the flames a little more and get people calling about how CTT is a hipocrit etc. When in fact, no one has said anything of the sort about USC contacting AU for a game. All PF has to do is say, "There's a story floating around..."

I normally don't mind PF because like professional wrestling, take it for what it really is and you can enjoy it. But crap like this is what gets to me about Finebong.

145783[/snapback]

145796[/snapback]

They play in the L.A Coliseum (not the same as the Rose Bowl). I don't remember the capacity of the coliseum but one end has been blocked off for a long time and USC rarely has a sell out of what's left (i'd guess 75, 000). They are very fair weather fans so attendance has been better the last two years. It was pretty much full when Auburn played out there three years ago.

I'm all for USC and Auburn. And I'm not worried about backlash... if we lose , we weren't really a MNC or if we win, it's because Norm Chow wasn't their and Lienert was burnt out of playing football and winning championships and things of that nature :big:

Archived